PDA

View Full Version : Serious pool "injury".

Cueless Joey
04-25-2002, 11:42 PM
My middle finger in my left (bridge) hand is now giving me pain. Locks up in the morning and hurts like hell. One other player in my local joint has the same injury. He says he now takes pills to reduce the swelling. One chiro player suggests I should get ultrasound treatment.
Anyone out there have the same injury?

Rod
04-25-2002, 11:57 PM
I don't Joey and never heard of it unless it's some form of Arthritis. You might want to do a search at google or Ask Jeeves for the symptom. I do that sometimes to find more on a specific health issue. In the end you'll want to see a related Doctor in that field for help.

Cueless Joey
04-25-2002, 11:59 PM
OK, thanks.

04-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Joey, that sounds like what is known as 'trigger finger'. It locks up at the second joint and hurts. I have a doctor who offers to either treat it with a cortisone injection or do surgery. I've had several 'released' on both hands and they're as good as new. The incision is on the palm at the base of the finger, and they slit open the sheath that the tendon has to run through. Instant relief. Couple of stitches and light duty with that hand for a couple of weeks. Ask an orthopaedic surgeon. Could be what's giving you trouble.

Cueless Joey
04-26-2002, 12:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: vapros:</font><hr> Joey, that sounds like what is known as 'trigger finger'. It locks up at the second joint and hurts. I have a doctor who offers to either treat it with a cortisone injection or do surgery. I've had several 'released' on both hands and they're as good as new. The incision is on the palm at the base of the finger, and they slit open the sheath that the tendon has to run through. Instant relief. Couple of stitches and light duty with that hand for a couple of weeks. Ask an orthopaedic surgeon. Could be what's giving you trouble. <hr></blockquote>.......
Vapros, it sounds just like you described. I'll see an ortho doctor then. Looks like, I'll be using open bridge for a few weeks. :-)

cheesemouse
04-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Clueless Joey,
I messed up my bridge hand by practicing on a cold slate. Now I have arthritis in the fingers of my bridge hand. If your playing on a cold rock stop.

SpiderMan
04-26-2002, 08:08 AM
OK, I'll be the token wiseguy since Rackemup seems to be asleep at the switch.

Tell us how you came to injure that particular finger - did you wave it at some big SOB that didn't have a sense of humor? Or, since there seems to be an epidemic of this affliction at your particular poolhall, is there a local snapfish that bit you both?

SpiderMan

Kato
04-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Glucosimine and Condroiton (sp?), lot's of water believe it or not. I have arthritis in both hands. I drink 12 glasses of water a day and have had pain in both hands. I saw on a website that everybody in the universe is dehydrated unless you're drinking crazy amounts of water. I figure what the heck, and you know what, no more pain really. Give it a shot, at the worst it will flush out your system and help you lose a couple pounds. At best, you'll get lucky like me.

Kato~~~being serious as a heart attack.

Cueless Joey
04-26-2002, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Glucosimine and Condroiton (sp?), lot's of water believe it or not. I have arthritis in both hands. I drink 12 glasses of water a day and have had pain in both hands. I saw on a website that everybody in the universe is dehydrated unless you're drinking crazy amounts of water. I figure what the heck, and you know what, no more pain really. Give it a shot, at the worst it will flush out your system and help you lose a couple pounds. At best, you'll get lucky like me.

Kato~~~being serious as a heart attack. <hr></blockquote>.........
OK, will try that too. I do drink too much ice tea.

Kato
04-26-2002, 09:41 AM
That's the thing. It says water, not things like beer, fruit juice, tea, coffee (all things that are mostly water) just plain water. It is an eye opening experience to go from thinking about surgery to having no troubles in the world.

Kato~~~footloose and fancy free.

04-26-2002, 12:41 PM
in the south what you have is known as the "saturday nite finger syndrome" and is usually caused by playing with yourself or someone else too much. take a break from pool and let it heal. when your ready to play again study how you make a bridge and determine what changes you can make to reduce the amount of pressure on your saturday nite finger. you may want to try curling it back under bridge hand (this will also allow you to get your tip a tad lower and improve your drawers) to eliminate any pressure to this second joint. i've had this type of pain in the second joint of my saturday nite finger but i've never had a player in my local joint, does it hurt? if the above does not work and you still have swelling you may want to have your wife or girlfriend pick up some 100% apple juice. you should get immediate relief by soaking it in cider.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Hey Joey,

I'm all over this one. Saved Sid once also. Take a 3 ft piece of bubble wrap and wrap that sucker. Then get out the "Duct Tape". When you go to the bar to shoot leagues, don't touch any biker chicks and ask the others. "How do ya like my package?"

This should make you forget all about that pain your feeling. No problem about payment, it's free to my friends.

Dr. C. PoolMD

Cueless Joey
04-26-2002, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Joey,

I'm all over this one. Saved Sid once also. Take a 3 ft piece of bubble wrap and wrap that sucker. Then get out the "Duct Tape". When you go to the bar to shoot leagues, don't touch any biker chicks and ask the others. "How do ya like my package?"

This should make you forget all about that pain your feeling. No problem about payment, it's free to my friends.

Dr. C. PoolMD
<hr></blockquote>........
It might. I might also be looking for new set of dentures.
Joey ~ Likes his teeth au' naturel~

04-27-2002, 08:11 PM
I sincerely hope you aren't developing "Dupuytrens Contracture." I wish you the best.

Yukon Ed