PDA

View Full Version : Tip Shaping Tool - Construction and Use Photos

SpiderMan
03-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I pulled this out into a separate thread.

SpiderMan

Quote Geoff:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Sid_Vicious:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the economical answer,,,get a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, chop it into 8"-12" sections, and saw them in half down it's length. Get some adhesive backed sandpaper and use whatever grade you wish, taking a piece tailored to fit in the curvature of the half-piece of PVC, and sock it in there. I have several pieces of cut pipe, some has 120 grit and some with 60 grit for coarse shaping. You can also get bigger PVC, say 1" and make a big nickel shaper.

You can buy these pre-fab'd shapers too, but you'll pay for them. It's too easy to make several(IMO) These work ok by hand operation but any mechanized spinner will turn out a slicker shape...sid

Hey sid, I actually have one of these laying around somewhere, using one of these would you simply work your way around the tip, holding the shaper at a constant angle to the tip? For example it the cue is straight up and down, hold the shaper at a 45 deg. angle to the tip (or whatever angle to achieve desired tip shape)? Seems simple enough.
I was wondering if there is some wonder tool out there that gives a "perfect" tip shape very time.

Geoff,

If you have to hold it at a 45-degree angle, you're using the wrong tool. Are you trying to use one of those "universal shapers", a sandpaper holder with a fairly flat contour, that is sometimes used to both shape the crown and trim the sidewalls? That device is too "flat" to do the best job on the crown.

Whenever you have to eyeball the angle (45 or whatever) all around the tip, you are going to have trouble getting it even. What you should use is a shaper whose curvature exactly matches the desired crown radius. That way, you sand perfectly flat across the top of the tip, holding the tool at exactly 90 degrees. That's a lot easier to hold constant than some arbitrary angle. Just rotate the shaft (spinning is even better if you have a crutch tool or lathe) as you pull the shaper across the top of the tip at 90 degrees.

BTW, as Sid alluded, if you split a piece of 3/4-inch pvc pipe, it will have almost a perfect penny radius when lined with a strip of self-stick sandpaper.

Here's a picture of the tool you should make:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=/Erwin+Cue&.dnm=a868.jpg

You use it by sanding straight across the tip at 90 degrees, so no "judgement" is required to get it even:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=/Erwin+Cue&.dnm=Shaped+Elk+Master.jpg

SpiderMan