PDA

View Full Version : Tip Backing for ivory ferrule use

dr_billiards
03-18-2004, 01:12 PM
What do you guys use for backing tips on ivory ferrules?
Thanks
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
The fiber pads from Atlas.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> What do you guys use for backing tips on ivory ferrules?
Thanks
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
03-19-2004, 11:52 AM
You can be creative, I don't think there are any rules. I have used Formica with very good results. You can get it for free at any Home Depot. Just go the area where they sell kitchen stuff and take the sample Formica chips. You get about six pieces out of one chip. I just cut it into pieces and glue the back to the ferrule. Then I machine it down and face off the shinny surface down to the base material, it is plenty thick enough. I don't know what the base is, it seems like a fibrous phenolic type of stuff, but it is tough, glues well and looks nice, kind of a chocolate brown. There are lots of materials you could make backings from it you experiment a little.

You can recycle all kinds of junk you can use in building cues. Old piano keys, old furniture with interesting woods in them, jewelry. I have a pair of earrings I bought for $1.00 at a garage sale with about 5 square inches of the most beautiful abalone you have ever seen, I plan to use soon, all kinds of stuff.

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2004, 12:17 PM
The Atlas pads also, and I use them on most any ferulle I fit a tip to unless asked not to. It is fairly fool-proof to clean off an old tip when it comes to the danger of getting ferulle material scuffed during the final prep, so you get several tip jobs before a pad is replaced. Not a big thing I guess, but Spidey's perfectionist ways are rubbing off ;-) sid