PDA

View Full Version : New Shaft--what to do, if anything?

boalt06
03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
If you get a new shaft--say a predator--what do you do. DO you seal it? sand it? Or do they come fine from the factory and not require any modification until after play?
Thank You
Erick

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
whatever you do don't sand it

don't have an answer about sealing it

KGeeED
03-19-2004, 08:11 AM
I usually inspect it and try a few hits before I start to mess it up incase I want to return it.

Then I play with it and let the oil from my hands do the sealing.

You could contact the manufacturer and ask them what they advise. I would also ask for this in writing. You need to be careful with a laminated shaft because of the warrantee. You may void the warrantee if your put something on the shaft that makes the lamination separate.

stickman
03-19-2004, 09:08 AM
I would just play with it. If you want to try a sealer, I would suggest you clean your old shaft and try it. You might not like the feel of it. It can be light sanded off, if you don't like it. Try to remove only the sealer. It would be a good idea to question the warranty regarding the use of a sealer on a laminated shaft.

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2004, 11:03 AM
I've asked this very question and it seems that unless you personally know a cue builder with a secret sealer formula, that you should just play with it, and clean it after each day if use...sid

RUNaRAK
03-19-2004, 11:32 AM
I like to rub mine down with a piece of leather to naturally seal it a bit. I do not use any chemicals but the leather pad seems to give it a good feel to me. The leather is not colored, like one of the circles that McDermott used to make. (Maybe they still do)?? A dollar bill works good too!

SPetty
03-19-2004, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> A dollar bill works good too! <hr /></blockquote>Careful! Ink can transfer from the bill to the shaft, especially with newer bills.

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2004, 12:11 PM
I'd be hesitant to hit the shaftwood with a dollar...maybe ok, but there are far too many alternatives just lying around here and there(IMO)...sid

bluey2king
03-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't a predator! I have a Vking and a Lucasi. I play with it just as it is, when I am happy I like it ..two weeks. I use the leather patch called "Q-wiz" I think it takes off the sealer they have on from the factory. This leaves it super smooth. I use a little Pledge furnature wax spray it on a paper towel and wipe off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ryushen21
03-20-2004, 04:34 AM
I actually do a little shaft work for the guys on my team and they all seem to like the method i use. I start out with Q-Slick micro burnishers. New shafts don't need much so i use the green and yellow ones. Then i use the leather side of one of the cue cube products to clear away any leftover dust and such. It leaves the shaft nice and smooth and plays smooth for a good while.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-20-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I actually do a little shaft work for the guys on my team and they all seem to like the method i use. I start out with Q-Slick micro burnishers. New shafts don't need much so i use the green and yellow ones....<hr /></blockquote>

be careful with those papers. you can read some more about it here

shaft sanding thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=79240&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=)

Nostroke
03-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Before you use it, take a small pen knife and stroke it against the grain towards the tip until you have a 1/8-1/4" deep valley about 4 inces long. Now take some 600 sandpaper and sand the depressed area til smooth.

Now you will have your own uniquely marked shaft, making it easily identifiable in the even it is stolen!

ryushen21
03-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I have found that the problem you talk about occurs mostly when people use the either the blue or white burnishing pads. Those are a lot more coarse and will tear away a lot more than people realize. And you also have to make sure that you are lightly using them. Too much pressure is never a good thing and will always result in more wood coming off and lot of times will make the shaft uneven. A friend of mine got carried away and learned his lesson with this.