PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

JMD in VA
03-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Down at the US Open. I hear Scott Smith say every year that they play under the "Pro Express Rules" of 9-Ball. Is there any difference between those rules and the "Texas Express Rules" of 9-Ball? Need to know ASAP. Thanks to all who can help!

JMD in VA

Leviathan
03-19-2004, 08:34 AM
JMD:

The Pro Express rules are different from the Texas Express rules.

The Pro Express rules are a handful of rules grafted onto the BCA rules of 1995. The Texas Express rules are a complete, independent set of rules. You can see the Pro Express rules at http://www.usppa.com/rules.htm . You can see the Texas Express rules at http://www.texasexpress.com/rules.htm . An example of the differences: under the Texas Express rules of 9-ball, at least four numbered balls must be driven to the cushions on the break; under the Pro Express rules, at least 5 balls must be driven to the cushions on the break.

Both the Texas Express and Pro Express rules are written, er, casually: the Pro Express rule I've just cited doesn't say whether the CB can be one of the five balls driven to the cushions, and Texas Express rule 3.1 contradicts Texas Express rule 2.2.

AS

SPetty
03-19-2004, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>Texas Express rule 3.1 contradicts Texas Express rule 2.2.<hr /></blockquote>2.2: Opening and Subsequent Rack

The opening rack is determined by the outcome of the lag, with the winner of the lag racking and breaking the numbered balls. The opponent has the right to inspect the rack, but may not request that the numbered balls be arranged in any specific numerical order or placement within the rack. The tournament director or appointed referee may declare a rack acceptable for play at any time, reserves the right to rack at any time, or to select either opponent to rack.

3.1: Opening Break

Players determine the opening break by lagging. The winner of the lag retains the option to break and rack.

Where's the contradiction? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Troy
03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Seems pretty obvious to me that the cue ball is one of the five balls and that numbered balls are numbered. I too don't any contradiction.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> JMD:

The Pro Express rules are different from the Texas Express rules.

The Pro Express rules are a handful of rules grafted onto the BCA rules of 1995. The Texas Express rules are a complete, independent set of rules. You can see the Pro Express rules at http://www.usppa.com/rules.htm . You can see the Texas Express rules at http://www.texasexpress.com/rules.htm . An example of the differences: under the Texas Express rules of 9-ball, at least four numbered balls must be driven to the cushions on the break; under the Pro Express rules, at least 5 balls must be driven to the cushions on the break.

Both the Texas Express and Pro Express rules are written, er, casually: the Pro Express rule I've just cited doesn't say whether the CB can be one of the five balls driven to the cushions, and Texas Express rule 3.1 contradicts Texas Express rule 2.2.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

Leviathan
03-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi, SPetty. Well, 2.2 says that the winner of the lag breaks first, and 3.1 says that the winner of the lag can break first or require his or her opponent to break first. 2.2 doesn't present the option; 3.1 does. By the way, I enjoy your posts--I think you have a lot of wisdom.

AS

Leviathan
03-19-2004, 11:21 AM
'Lo, Troy.

The contradiction I see is in the Texas Express rules about determining who breaks first. I explain this in a reply to SPetty's post.

I don't say that the Pro Express rule that defines a legal break contradicts other Pro Express rules; I say only that it doesn't specify that the CB can be one of the five balls that are driven to cushions. I think the rule should spell this out because a lot of us are used to playing by rules that require that some number of numbered balls be driven to the cushions.

Regards,

AS

SPetty
03-19-2004, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr>Well, 2.2 says that the winner of the lag breaks first, and 3.1 says that the winner of the lag can break first or require his or her opponent to break first. <hr /></blockquote>Oh, O.K. I was interpreting it differently. When it says "The winner of the lag retains the option to break and rack", I interpret that as the winner breaks and racks.

It's like if I have the option to go to the pool hall or go the dentist. I think I'll take the first option, that is, I'll retain the option to go to the pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks, too, for saying that other nice thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nostroke
03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
The word 'retains' doesn't belong there either. 'Obtains' works fine IMHO.

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2004, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ... with the winner of the lag racking and breaking the numbered balls. The opponent has the right to inspect the rack, but may not request that the numbered balls be arranged in any specific numerical order or placement within the rack.<hr /></blockquote>

Perhaps it's stated elsewhere, in which case the rules need to be fixed, but reading the above, it seems to be OK to rack the nine on the wing, in which case the rules need to be fixed.