PDA

View Full Version : Washing Slate?

mworkman
03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
I just bought a used table. It is very dirty from years of play and from being dissasembled and stored in a warehouse. The slate is full of dirt, mud, chalk and around the edges has a layer of fuzzy felt from where it looks like they glued it as well as staple it to the frame mounted underneath the slate.
Should I just use soapy water? What about the edges? Should I try to sand that off smooth or just leave it? I'm assuming the slate is pretty tough and I could clean it with just about anything? Just want to make sure I don't wreck anything.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> ...a layer of fuzzy felt from where it looks like they glued... <hr /></blockquote>

There's a petroleum-based product called Goof-off which should remove the glue. I would assume it would not damage slate but I am not an expert, not even close.

cycopath
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
When we recovered our table we used Goop-Off and a razor blade scrapper to remove the old glue. Once all the glue was removed we would clean the slate with alcohol.