PDA

View Full Version : Played A Whiner!

Sid_Vicious
03-21-2004, 10:36 AM
I was playing this guy yesterday, he rolled me in this position, so I hit the DART stroke jumper, making the combo in the side, and he yells, "Foul, and I'll tell you why, YOU SCOOPED THE BALL!" What! How the hell do you dart stroke that shot and scoop, I doubt that it's even possible if you tried! Then he wanted to play call ball nine ball, saying "You never intended to make the combination, all you wanted to do was hit the ball." Some more BS insued, he started in on a railbird telling the bird to go to the other end of the PH, goofy as all git. So he raked the balls with his cue and left me in mid-set with three won games going to 5, him on zero. I told him to pay up if he was going to quit like that, but I could tell it wasn't worth the aggravation, so I said, "Man you've gota problem,,,Ok if you want to quit, fine, I know a little bit about you now."

I really think that the guy was playing on air and didn't want to watch me hit the hill after the jump, hence the whinning routine. The air was not a problem, it was cheap enough, more of a personal battle than a money thing if you know what I mean. Some people!!!sid

Btw, I set the shot up for a friend to explain what had happened, and popped the 5 in like before. Not bragging but that shot ain't that hard with a good jumper and moderate concentration. Actually I'm not telling anything new to avid jump-meisters. sv

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

"START(
%CX4W4%DL1I5%EZ2Y7%FJ2P0%GK4N6%HM7N8%IL6T0%PG4M7

)END"

Lanny
03-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Sid,
I feel your pain.I was shooting with a 50+ yr. old guy that I shoot with pretty regulary and he began whinning about the ball-in-hand rule in 9-ball.He wants to play it like 8-ball,cue ball behind the headstring after a scratch.Damn,I hate playing with "children".

Lanny

Harold Acosta
03-21-2004, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lanny:</font><hr> Sid,
I feel your pain.I was shooting with a 50+ yr. old guy that I shoot with pretty regulary and he began whinning about the ball-in-hand rule in 9-ball.He wants to play it like 8-ball,cue ball behind the headstring after a scratch.Damn,I hate playing with "children".

Lanny <hr /></blockquote>

Lanny; 20 or more years ago, 9 ball used to be played like the "old guy" is telling you; cue-ball behind head string after each scratch. Rules have evolved into what we have today; BIH after each scratch.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Sparky
03-21-2004, 11:51 AM
I just ordered a Bunjee Jump Cue. I'm hoping to learn how to jump the cue ball the proper way. I try not to jump (scoop) the cue ball too much as of right now. Sometimes I will jump (scoop) the cue ball when I'm playing some "joker" at the bar because he/she doesn't really know the diff. I know that it is illegal though. I like to play fair. Hence the reason why I don't usually try to jump (scoop) balls.

By the way, I joined the APA last week. This is my first time playing in that league. I wish I could use my new Bunjee jumper there. Oh well. I could use it, but that would be the only cue I could use during a match. Hmmm...that might not work too well since a jump cue is a lot shorter. Maybe I will try it sometime anyway...hahaha! Nah, better not! Anyway, I did pretty good the other night. I played an SL5. I started out as an SL4. I beat my opponent 3-2. I was having a little trouble shooting because I pulled a muscle in my lower back a couple days before. It wasn't easy leaning over the table. It wasn't my best night shooting, but at least I prevailed. I think we are going to have a pretty decent team. Maybe someday I will get to play some of you. If any of you are near Toledo, Ohio let me know.

Sparky /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Did they spot the low ball if it was inside the kitchen???sid

Popcorn
03-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Actually, he wants to play the more legitimate form of 9 ball, (my opinion anyway), like the game used to be played before they changed it to accommodate tournament scheduling and television. It is to bad that it is not played both ways, one for tournaments and one for match up play. I don't think a lot of players even know there is another way, (a better way, again my opinion), to play 9 ball. I feel his pain having to play what is, using your words, a childish form of the game. Maybe the only way you know how to play. If he is an old time player, he probably does look at the way today's game is played and shakes his head to see what it has evolved into.

Sid_Vicious
03-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Sparky...Learn the dart stroke. It's far more accurate than underhand, mostly because you are standing still and moving just the biceps. Keys to this is, hold the cue like a dart(I use a semi sidewinder arm)index-middle-thumb positioned right at the seam of the joint, aim to hit the same elevated target on the OB, visualize, not the parallel to the slate target as you'd naturally do, and do not try to hit low CB on purpose, even follow shots work with the jump. Now, once you are set, get REAL, REAL still and then focus on the point on the CB last, sowly draw back and flow into the hit, don't force the stroke, just let the cue do the work. Lastly, use minimal force, meaning don't hit too hard. Most players trying the jumper seems to want to try and stand as tall as possible, not needed, even a bending of both knees helps(imo.) Work those details and you'll be jumping in no time. Remember, be entirely still during stroke....sid~~~givin' away his secrets, but to good people!

Leviathan
03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
'Lo, Popcorn. Can you steer me to a copy of the old 9-Ball rules? Something on the internet, or in print? Thanks--Alan Salmon

Lanny
03-21-2004, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>I feel his pain having to play what is, using your words, a childish form of the game. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,
I didn't say or imply that his and your's was "a childish form of the game",I called him a child for having to have his way and wanting to rewrite the rules.I don't think that a person should hold the game "hostage" for your personal desires and ask to change the rules in the middle of a game.I've played by some of the wierdest rules you can imagine and don't think it's polite to complain about the rules when you're the visitor.Everyone else in our little group likes the B-I-H rule.Honestly,he doesn't like 9-ball all that well and would much rather play 8-ball.I didn't write the rules,I just play by them.

Lanny

PoolFool
03-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Willie Mosconi's Regulation Rule Book for Pool and Billiards(1966) does not mention 9 ball. Maybe Willie didn't like the slop shots. However, in 8 ball rules, when a player gets ball in hand it is behind the string line. If the next object ball is also behind the string line it is spotted on the foot spot. IMO the new rules were made so that players with less skill at making difficult shots could compete on more even footing.

PoolFool

Lanny
03-21-2004, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> IMO the new rules were made so that players with less skill at making difficult shots could compete on more even footing.

PoolFool <hr /></blockquote>

I'm glad you mentioned that,it reminded me of a comment that he made and I quote him word-for-word,"I think playing by 8-ball rules will make a person a better player".Sounds like it's an 8-ball fetish to me.Any thoughts?

Lanny

ras314
03-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Sid...Old rules as best I remenber

With two players you spot the last ball before the 9 (and the 9) if made on a scratch. Cb is BIH in the kitchen. Other balls which would be your next ball are put down if in the kitchen. You never have to kick at a ball in the kitchen after a scratch.

Any foul other than a scratch the opposing player has the option to take the shot as is or make the fouling shooter shoot again. Like a push after the break.

Any scratch is played BIH from the kitchen.

Or something like that.

Popcorn
03-21-2004, 03:20 PM
I used to play in a lot of places in the south, No offense to southerners, where the rules seemed like they were making them up as they went along. That is just the way it goes, when in Rome do as the Romans do. If he does not like the rules he does not have to play. I do wish there were more then one way to play 9 ball now a days and players understood the old rules. They seemed to have disappeared all together. No one play push out at all any more, not even old timers. Some of the newer player may like the different aspect it added to the game if they tried it. The jump shot would be gone and a few more strategies will be discovered. You had to read the other player pretty good when you were playing as to when and how to push out on them. Bank players push out to banks, shot makers push out to tough shots they like, safety players push out to possible safeties they can play depending how you are playing, any two or two by the same player and spot shots were a part of the game, that don't even exist any more and so on. There was a lot to the game when played by good players. I have to stop writing, because I am making myself sick to think I can't play like that anymore.

Harold Acosta
03-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Yes, it was spotted. If any ball was occupying the space, it would be placed right behind it.

woody_968
03-21-2004, 06:28 PM
The way nine ball used to be played was called two shot foul I believe. It was an interesting way to play. It was called two shot because when you were hooked you would call push (just like after the break now) but if the opponent made you shoot again and you didnt hit the low ball it was ball in hand. All balls made on fould shots were spotted. Balls nocked off the table were spotted. I think after a cue ball scratch or jump off the table it was cue ball in the kitchen. If the low ball was in the kitchen then it was spotted.

Made the game a little more interesting. Say you make the nine and scratch, now he would have to make a spot shot instead of just giving him the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Excellent shot Sid. Unfortunately, it seems this uusually happens against people with that type of attitude. I think, from your description of the guy and the situation, he was just too embarrassed about being beat in front of the railbirds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ralph S.
03-21-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping to learn how to jump the cue ball the proper way. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> This is a good thing. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
I try not to jump (scoop) the cue ball too much as of right now. Sometimes I will jump (scoop) the cue ball when I'm playing some "joker" at the bar because he/she doesn't really know the diff. I know that it is illegal though. I like to play fair. Hence the reason why I don't usually try to jump (scoop) balls.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> You say you are not scoop-jumping the cue ball anymore, and that you are trying to learn the right way. Yet, in the next sentence you admit to blatantly doing this illegal shot in the next sentence! Why? Because you want to pull a fast one on some "joker" in the bar.

Then to top it off, you tell us you like to play fair. Get real Sparky. Should you ever expect to gain any credibility on this board, you may want to learn to be little more honest, not only with us or your opponents, but most importantly with yourself. How you carry and present yourself wether others are around or not, will display your true integrity. </font color>

stickman
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I run across a lot of players that are good winners, but poor losers. I've seen the excuses, grumbling, and sometimes the temper tantrums. It tells me something about the person's character. When I see that behavior, I resolve to not be like that. I beat a giant killer yesterday during my tournament, and he is a great winner, but he could learn a lot about losing. When he lost his last match, he threw his stick across the table, picked his stick up, and stormed out the door. Another opponent sent me to the losers bracket, he killed me. I played him later, and I won handily. He was complaining that my skill level was too low. Some people could take some lessons learning to be gracious losers. I've had plenty of experience losing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sparky
03-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Ralph S

I very rarely jump (scoop) the cue ball. I only do it against JOKERS and WHINERS because they piss me off. I wouldn't do it against a REAL player, such as yourself. And not only that, but most JOKERS and WHINERS jump (scoop) the cue ball too. If they do it during a game, then I will do it. If not, then I won't do it. Does that make more sense? Does that make it more clear to you? You always have negative things to say. I am a serious pool player Ralph. I would love to play you sometime just to watch you go down in flames. I am very confident of my game. No bets. Just me against you. We'll play a race to 7. We'll play by the rules...VNEA, BCA, or APA...you choose.

Also, I said I just ordered the Bunjee jump cue. I have not started using it yet. I have not started practicing yet. I won't get the cue until tomorrow. I will be spending a lot of time practicing now that I am in an APA league here in Toledo, Ohio.

Come to Toledo Ralph! Let's play a match race to 7. No bets. No money. Just the satisfaction of watching me shut you up. I'm kind of tired of listening to your negativity all the time. It gets old. Put your cue where you mouth is and let's play a match.

Sparky

Sparky
03-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Oh...Ralph...

If you win the match, I will give you a candle of your choice. I don't want anything from you if I win. The satisfaction of beating you and shutting you up will be enough for me.

Sparky (Erik)

Ralph S.
03-21-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just ordered a Bunjee Jump Cue. I'm hoping to learn how to jump the cue ball the proper way. I try not to jump (scoop) the cue ball too much as of right now. Sometimes I will jump (scoop) the cue ball when I'm playing some "joker" at the bar because he/she doesn't really know the diff. I know that it is illegal though. I like to play fair. Hence the reason why I don't usually try to jump (scoop) balls.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Sparky, the key sentence that I have troubles with is,"I like to play fair". This is a false statement since you readily admit to still scooping the ball against unsuspecting opponents that do not know the rules. You know the rules and you know it is illegal. This is not fair play on your part. It is simple cheating. I just call it like I see it, just the way you wrote it. Those were your words. Live by the sword, die bye the sword. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
I very rarely jump (scoop) the cue ball. I only do it against JOKERS and WHINERS because they piss me off. I wouldn't do it against a REAL player, such as yourself. And not only that, but most JOKERS and WHINERS jump (scoop) the cue ball too. If they do it during a game, then I will do it. If not, then I won't do it. Does that make more sense? Does that make it more clear to you? You always have negative things to say. I am a serious pool player Ralph. I would love to play you sometime just to watch you go down in flames. I am very confident of my game. No bets. Just me against you. We'll play a race to 7. We'll play by the rules...VNEA, BCA, or APA...you choose.

Also, I said I just ordered the Bunjee jump cue. I have not started using it yet. I have not started practicing yet. I won't get the cue until tomorrow. I will be spending a lot of time practicing now that I am in an APA league here in Toledo, Ohio.

Come to Toledo Ralph! Let's play a match race to 7. No bets. No money. Just the satisfaction of watching me shut you up. I'm kind of tired of listening to your negativity all the time. It gets old. Put your cue where you mouth is and let's play a match.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Sparky, challenge matches like the one you just issued are a dime a dozen. I can get them any day here. Besides, I have more important priorities. The point that you are missing, is this. Please don't say one thing then blatantly contradict yourself in the next sentence.

Truthfully Sparky, I really would like to play you. Maybe someday in the near future, but not right now. Like I said, I have much more important priorities here at home than wasting a tank of gas on a needless roadtrip.

As for you thinking I am being negative, I am just calling it the way I see it. Exactly what you put in words. My thoughts have not changed any, and I stand by my responses to your posts. </font color>

Sparky
03-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Ralph...

I don't think you get the point here. I call it like I see it too. If I am playing some JOKER or WHINER and they are cheating by scooping the cue ball, then I will do the same. However, I very RARELY do this. Maybe I should have said...I WOULD RATHER PLAY FAIR instead of I LIKE TO PLAY FAIR. Most of these JOKERS or WHINERS do not know the difference between a legal jump shot and an illegal one, but they perform them anyway. I know the difference. Instead of getting into a big argument with them, I just beat them at their own game. I shoot it like I see it. I simply play by THEIR rules Ralph. It's no different than playing by some bar's so-called BAR RULES. Everyone makes a bunch of crap up to benefit them. Personally, I like to play by the rules...VNEA, APA, BCA, etc. I do like to play fair. You don't really know me, so please stop judging me. Come to Toledo, play a match with me, and then judge me. No more negative talk here. I've had enough. You are an extremely difficult person to get along with. Get off the "Help Sparky Get Out of Debt" kick. Kick the habit Ralph. It's old news. I did it to find out what kind of response I would get. I wanted to find out myself if something like that would actually work. I got the answers that I was looking for. However, I could have asked everyone to help me get out of debt by buying a candle. That would have been fair wouldn't it? Everyone would have gotten something for their money. Unfortunately, I was not running my candle business at that time. Otherwise, I would have given everyone a candle. I am actually trying to do something legitimate here. I am even willing to donate a percentage of each sale to a charity. Hmmm...I wonder why. Maybe because I am a thoughtful and generous person that doesn't just think of himself. I am also an intelligent person, despite what you, or others, may believe. Once again, none of you truly know me personally. If you did, I think all of you would think very differently of me. Put the past in the past Ralp and get over it. Move on.

If you don't believe my business is legitimate, then order a candle from me. You'll see how legit it is. Don't tell me that I am trying to scam again because I am not. I am serious about this business. I have already sold several candles. I know what I am doing Ralph. I have a BBA. I'm not a moron. Go order a candle so that I can give 10% of each sale to the American Cancer Society. I would give more, but I just started this business a few months ago. I need to start making money first. I'm not even making a profit yet. Here I am, making no profit but yet still willing to donate money. Call me stupid...call me whatever...but the fact is...I enjoy making them...my girlfriend enjoys making them...and we are both generous people. I am always willing to help others no matter what. I do not find fun in belittling people all the time.

Take care,
Sparky (Erik)

#### leonard
03-22-2004, 07:47 AM
If my memory serves me the players called it "One Shot Shoot out".####

Rod
03-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Sparky,

Real players don't ever scoop the ball and they know why. Two major reasons, it puts a divot in the cloth and is hard on the tip. The pool room owner really doesn't like people who damage their equipment. Not to mention "you" know it's not legal. Ya I know, you do it because people that whine etc pisses you off. Tell that to me as a prior room owner that tried to keep my equipment in good condition.

About that business and 10% going to charity. How do we know it goes to charity? Well, I guess we have to take your word that it does. Your word isn't all that great after the get out of debt thread. You even admitted to Spiderman in the APA discussion thread, [ QUOTE ]
I actually gave up on that idea...lol. I'm doing something legitimate now. <hr /></blockquote>

People do have their ways but some people change. I'll give you the benefit of doubt if you actually get that Charity licensed. The Better Business Bureau wants to know about your charitable business, so does the Attorney General's Office. A certain amount of money (about 1/3) can be lost through business expenses operating a charity, but sometimes all the money is spent. Depends on how legit the charity is. Then there is what's know as a professional solicitor (their licensed) who make money soliciting. I'm not sure where you fall into all of this or how you handle it at this time, we can only guess. I do know that payment on orders on your web site said,
[ QUOTE ]
At this time, please make all checks and
money orders payable to:

Erik Renner

<hr /></blockquote>

Since that's not a business name I haven't a clue (I could guess though) and neither does anyone else that buys a product from you. That is we don't know where the 10% is actually going.

~~~Rod, not buying a candle anytime soon

woody_968
03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Sparky I must tell you that I too questioned your first post when I read it. You cant say you play fair and then addmit that you scoop the ball. I dont care who you are playing with or how they play it is not a legal shot for reasons that Rod has already stated. You say you are a serious player, a serious player NEVER scoops, its that simple.
I really didnt want to comment on any of this but the way you are jumping on Ralph puts me in a position to tell you that he was not the only one that found your post just didnt add up.

Pool is like golf, if you are playing with someone and they cheat that tells you loads about the person they really are. And you cheat when the situation is right.

Sparky
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I understand what everyone is saying regarding me "scooping" the cue ball sometimes. From now on, I will NOT scoop the cue ball. I very RARELY do it now. It's actually something that I used to do in the past because I guess I didn't realize at that time that it was illegal. I realize now that it is illegal. That is why I don't do it any more. That is also why I recently purchased a Bunjee jump cue. It actually came UPS today. I want to learn how to jump balls the legal way. If I wasn't a serious player, I would not have spent almost $100 on a jump cue. I would not even want to learn how to jump the cue ball properly. I would not have spent the money I spent on my cue...Lucasi (not the world's best, but I like it). I would not have spent the money that I have spent on my tips...Moori M and Talisman. I would not have joined the APA. I would not have previously played in a VNEA league. I would not take the care that I take with my cue. Therefore, based on this information, I would say that I am a serious player. I'm actually a pretty decent player too. If I practiced every day like most of you, I would probably be a pro. I'm a really good player and I don't even practice that much. I know...all of you are going to say..."well, how can you be a serious player if you don't practice that much?". My answer to that is that I have a lot of other things going on right now, including work. I wish that I had more time. We do have a local place here that charges $5 for table time from 11am-5pm during the week. I can practice that entire time for only $5. I plan to start doing that more often. At the moment, I have a pulled muscle in my back. I'm waiting for that to heal.

Once again, if you don't know me personally please do not judge me. Come to Toledo, Ohio...hang out with me...shoot some pool...and then judge me. I think you'll think differently of me.

Anway, I'm not here to argue with people. I admittedly said that I have scooped balls in the past. I also said that I know it is illegal. I have also said that I very RARELY do it. Hell, I don't even do it anymore now. I used to do it before I realized that it was illegal. I may have done it a few times since then, but only with people I know...and not on poolroom tables. And when I have done it, I have never punched my cue tip into a table. I have NEVER torn up a table. I have NEVER done damage to my cue. I don't like to use jump or masse shots that often because they are hard on a cue and a tip. I actually have pretty decent control of the cue ball. I can usually get out of jams. I am also able to put the cue ball close to where I want...not always...but most of the time. With more practice, I believe that I would be a great player. I know that I have the potential to become an SL7 in the APA. I was a 3 (two being the best) in the VNEA pool league I belonged to. That was my first and only time that I ever played in a pool league other than the APA league that I just joined. I think that says a lot. It's not easy to become a 3 in the VNEA or an SL7 in the APA. We all have to admit, it takes some skill. I know I have the skills. I just need to practice those skills, which is what I inted to do more often now that I am in the APA.

For those of you that do not believe that my candle business is legit...simply order a travel tin or something...something inexpensive. You'll find out that it is real. You will receive your candle. The reason that I am asking people to send money orders in my name is because I can't afford to open a business checking account right now. I'm not making a profit yet. Once I have the money, I will open one so that money orders can be sent in the name of my business, FlikerWik Candle Company. I am going to start researching things so that I can donate to charity...American Cancer Society. I am serious about this. Once I have everything panned out, I will let all of you know. Right now, you just have to take my word for it...as hard as that may be. If you have any ideas as to how I can prove to you that I made the donation, please let me know.

I'm going to go do more research now.

Take care,

Sparky
03-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Rod...

Use your CC if you feel uncomfortable about sending me a money order. Buy an inexpensive candle. Everything goes through PayPal. Therefore, I don't even see your credit card number. All I see is that you paid me a certain amount of money. Of course, I see your order too. Once I get the order, I order the supplies that I need. When I get the supplies, I make the candle(s) and ship it (them) out. The only way to find out if I am legit is to order something. Let me prove it to you. You'll love the candles I make. Seriously! They smell great. I use 100% UNCUT fragrance oils in my candles. Some candle companies use watered down oils. Therefore, they aren't as strong. My candles will smell up an entire room or even several. Let's put it this way, if you are not 100% satisfied let me know and I will send you a refund check for the total amount you charged on your credit card. I will even let you keep the candle and do what you wish with it. If that doesn't satify you, contact PayPal and tell them I am scam artist. I am PayPal verified Rod. My account is legitimate. Please call them if you do not believe me. My name is Erik Renner. The business name is FlikerWik Candle Company. Find out for yourself. In the meantime, I will do more research as to how I can donate money to the American Cancer Society. I have not started doing that yet. It is something that I have been thinking about. I am more than willing to do it. I enjoy helping others, especially those that have something in common with my grandpa (papa) whom I admired very much.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM!!!!

Sparky

Rod
03-22-2004, 05:04 PM
BTW I never questioned your business being legit, although you do need a business license to make it so. All I questioned is the donation to a non existent charity at this point. Well keep at it and good luck.

Rod

Sparky
03-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I totally understand your concerns Rod. I would probably have the same concerns. However, I am the one running the business so I know it is real. I am in the process of trying to get it licensed. I am also in the process of trying to gather information regarding the charity that I want to contribute to and how to go about it. The charity is the American Cancer Society. I'm not just going to donate to any charity under the sun. I want the money to actually benefit others. I know this charity is reputable.

Take care,

Popcorn
03-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a legal business DBA with city and county license, sales tax number and file a schedule C under the business name. But since I operate as a sole proprietorship, there is no problem commingling funds. I don't even have a business account, I just use a personal account for business proposes. People just write checks to me or my wife's name. Sometimes there is an explanation to what looks shady. Sometimes someone will write me a check to the business name and I just indorse it and slip it in with my deposit, they have never say anything. I once got a property tax refund for a building I no longer owned. It was made out to a corporation that was no longer active, I had let it dissolve. The check was for $8500. and was un-cashable. We tried everything, but the city said they could only write the refund to the corporation regardless the fact, I was the corporation. After all the running around and aggravation, my attorney suggested just trying to deposit it and play dumb. I endorsed it and stuck it in with a bunch of checks I was depositing. The girl never looked and I never heard another thing about it.

Sparky
03-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Popcorn...

How did you obtain the DBA? I know that this needs to be a sole proprietorship. I checked with my bank and they told me that I would need to open a business account to receive checks in my business name. Right now, I can't afford to do that. It is costly...$250-$500 I think. I do not have a lot of money at the moment. My business is not making a profit yet. I haven't been in business very long...only a few months.

Sparky
03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Rod...

I sent an Email to the American Cancer Society so that I can obtain information about donating money to them. Here is the Email. This was an automated response to the Email I sent. I just want everyone to know that I am actually taking action on this. I want to do it. No scams!

This message is not flagged. [ Flag Message - Mark as Unread ]

From: "Undl" &lt;undl@emailcenter.cancer.org&gt; Add to Address Book
To: erik@flikerwikcandles.com
Date: 22 Mar 2004 18:44:33 -0500
Subject: RE: American Cancer Society

This is an automated reply to your email from the American Cancer
Society.
We want to assure you we have received your email and are working on a
response. Thank you for contacting us.

Your American Cancer Society
www.cancer.org (http://www.cancer.org)
1-800-ACS-2345

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 3/22/2004 6:44:11 PM
To: undl@emailcenter.cancer.org
Subject: American Cancer Society

I am trying to start my own business. I would like to donate 10% of
every sale to your charity. What do I need to do? I want people to buy
from me and know for certain that a percentage of their purchase is
going to your charity. Can you please provide me with further
information?

Rod
03-22-2004, 05:45 PM
The best place to start is the county clerk's office.

Rod

Popcorn
03-22-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't know about where you live but you usually just file for a fictitious name and pay like $20 or $30. make sure no one else has it. Then a public notice is done announcing it. That is about all there is to it. I can afford a business account but they are a rip-off and charge all kinds or fees. You don't need a business account to do business unless you are incorporated, but the problem you will run into is just what Rod said. People expect to pay the business and you end up explaining every time why the payment is made payable to you. It can look un business like. This should be on the other board.

SPetty
03-22-2004, 06:00 PM
#1) You guys need to take this over to the NPR forum.
#2) I'm surprised Sparky isn't being reamed for incessant advertising.
#3) Sparky, you say we have to come meet you in person in order to know you. If you don't want us to judge you by the words you write, then you shouldn't write words to people who don't know you in person. Said another way, we have nothing else to know you by other than your words.

~~~now looking forward to Dallas rush hour traffic after a too long day at work /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sparky
03-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks Rod...

I will check into that. I really want this to be a totally legal business. I have a BBA, but I've never actually tried to start a business. I have been checking into things in order to register my business legally. I haven't found much on how to register a sole proprietorship. I will continue my search and find out more from the Clerk's Office.

Thanks,
Sparky

Sparky
03-22-2004, 06:12 PM
SPetty...

I will take it over to the NPR. I began posting here in response to the original topic, "Played A Whiner!", but it has developed into this. I will make a new post over in the non-pool related section.

It's hard to get to know people by words only. I just know that a lot of people here seem to judge others on what they say here. I understand that that is all they have to go by.

Thanks,
Sparky

Rod
03-22-2004, 06:13 PM
OK Mom, I'm done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Really I promise, don't whip me again! LOL

Sparky
03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
LMAO @ Rod...

I started a discussion over in the NPR section. If we can't discuss this here, please come to my MSN discussion group and we'll chat more about it.

APA Pool League Discussion Forum (http://groups.msn.com/APAPoolLeague)

Thanks,

tateuts
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> If my memory serves me the players called it "One Shot Shoot out".#### <hr /></blockquote>

Out here on the West Coast we called it "two shot shoot out". I think the reason was because if you made the guy shoot again, and he fouled, you got ball in hand.

I think the current rules are better, although there sure are a lot more unpredictable rolls this way! This sure brings back memories - not all of them good.

Chris

woody_968
03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I have played in some ring games where we used that rule set. It made a much better ring game IMO