PDA

View Full Version : My First Big Tournament Match

tateuts
03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
I stopped playing pool for 20 years and took it up again about a year and a half ago. I've been trying to get my game up to competitive level for the big tournaments and it's coming along.

This was my second open tournament - the first was about a month ago at Hard Times where I didn't do too well. I was very nervous and made nervous types of mistakes.

They had an big open 9 Ball at Hollywood Billiards this weekend. The place is huge - absolutely amazing. Nice tournament, great crowd, run by our own Wayne here and Max Eberle.

There were several well known (out here) players expected to win. Among them were Ernesto Dominguez, Lorry DeLeon, Dave Hemmah, Tang Hoa, and a lot of shortstops.

I drew one of the top rated players in my first match, a player who was in the top two or three favorites to win. Races to 8, double elimination. He beat me the last time we played so I was at least a little prepared for his game. We lagged. My ball was 1/4" from the rail, his was 1/8". He broke and ran out. He broke and didn't make a ball next rack and I ran out. Both of us were playing well and We went 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, then he broke and ran two tables on me, making it 7-5. He broke and scratched and I ran out 7-6. He started making small mistakes and hooked himself on a run out, I got out hill-hill.

I broke and didn't make a ball. He was on a run out and he missed the six ball. I got out and won my first big-time player match!

The rest of the tournament I played pretty bad. Now I've got to figure out a way to stay that focused and relaxed but motivated for a whole tournament. The first match I was thinking "one shot at a time" - after that, I lost my focus.

Chris

Scott Lee
03-21-2004, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> The first match I was thinking "one shot at a time" - after that, I lost my focus.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...Congrats on your win! Confidence comes with trust in your stroke, and one shot at a time! Keep it up! Good luck!

Scott Lee

tateuts
03-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Scott - I owe you that one.

Chris

boalt06
03-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Felicidades! Congrats. I can not offer much advice since you are obviously a way better player than I. However, I would say that now you know you possess the ability to beat top-rated players. You just to remain confident to utilize that ability. JMHO
P.S. That must feel good to win a close match against such a good player! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Keith Talent
03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Great drama, Chris ... congrats on the big win. If you can focus that well for a whole match against a tough player like that, it's gotta be just a matter of time before you carry it over for a few more matches.

Stepping up in an open tourney and showing you belong with the best. Must be a great feeling.

Ralph S.
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Great job Chris and congratulations. That first truly big win is always something special. The biggest thing is you know you now are able to play a very competitive game. You now have your confidence on the upswing. Build on it. A friendly suggestion if I may note.....

[ QUOTE ]
Now I've got to figure out a way to stay that focused and relaxed but motivated for a whole tournament. The first match I was thinking "one shot at a time" - after that, I lost my focus.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> The second sentence is your key and you realize this. Just simply play this way each time out. We all know you will do well my friend. </font color>

woody_968
03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Congrats on the win!

One thing I have started doing that helps me maintain focus is concentrating on the table when I am in my chair. Thinking what would I do from here and things like that, keeping my mind on the table. That way when it is my turn to shoot my mind is on the table and not all the other stuff going on around.

This helps when you are not even in the current match. I relax for a while between matches, but when I know my name will be called soon Ill go find a good match to watch and start my "focus" routine so I will be ready when I hear my name.

tateuts
03-21-2004, 09:23 PM
I think I was so busy partying it up in my mind after the win, I forgot to keep playing!

Chris

SpiderMan
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Congrats on the win!

One thing I have started doing that helps me maintain focus is concentrating on the table when I am in my chair. Thinking what would I do from here and things like that, keeping my mind on the table. That way when it is my turn to shoot my mind is on the table and not all the other stuff going on around.
<hr /></blockquote>

I used to do that also. When my opponent was playing (8-ball), I'd analyze the table and work out how I'd run my group. But, if he stayed at the table for several shots, I found it to be too mentally exhausting to plan and re-plan as his own shooting changed things up for me. Now I just analyze my problem balls and follow more loosely, so that I have plenty of mental energy left and don't come to the table tight.

SpiderMan

woody_968
03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Thats a good point Spiderman, I dont think one should over do it. Just keeping your mind on the table instead of the girl serving the drinks seems to help me for some reason /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi Chris,

Way to go brother. Sounds like your coming back in full force. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad to hear these type things. It seems to help all of us. Kind of put us in the action. Thanks buddy. Your in good company when your talking that field. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards,

C.C.