PDA

View Full Version : Biiliards month on ESPN and Mike Panozzo's take

Wally_in_Cincy
03-22-2004, 01:00 PM
In the issue of BD that I received Saturday there is a short article about ESPN "billiards month" (April) which will show 100+ hours of pool including classic matches. There apparently is a feeling amongst the cognescenti that this is a precursor or a test run which will ultimately lead to the return of live pool.

Then I read Mike Panozzo's column and he is of the opinion that "billiards month" is of little or no value because it is all taped matches.

I would certainly disagree with Mr. Panozzo. I don't see how this could be anything but good news.

But what do I know. I'm just a crappy league player from Ohio and he's the editor of Billiards Digest /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bluey2king
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Sounds Great to me!!
Is there a place to see what is scheduled?
I hate those listing that just say 9ball championship ..
But Hey what do I know.....I'l' bet a crappier leauge player than You....hahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Live, dead, or somewhere in between it all seems good to me. I have 6 blank tapes for the oldies, hope that's enough. Wonder if SPetty got that dish aimed proper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

catscradle
03-22-2004, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> ... ESPN "billiards month" (April) which will show 100+ hours of pool including classic matches. There apparently is a feeling amongst the cognescenti that this is a precursor or a test run which will ultimately lead to the return of live pool.

Then I read Mike Panozzo's column and he is of the opinion that "billiards month" is of little or no value because it is all taped matches.

I would certainly disagree with Mr. Panozzo. I don't see how this could be anything but good news.

But what do I know. I'm just a crappy league player from Ohio and he's the editor of Billiards Digest /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The problem I see is that, if the past is any indication, they'll play them at times when we're all working and the ratings will stink because the people home at that time of day are watching soaps, court shows, Springer, and Oprah. Then when the ratings stink ESPN will forget any idea to play more pool at other times.

eg8r
03-22-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Sounds crazy to me, like he is not sure what value is? Is this the same for the magazine he currently works for? It is all old in the past stuff, nothing live happening in his magazine, so it must be of little to no value also. I wonder if he would put that in print?

eg8r &lt;~~~~thinks statements like Panozzo's have little to no value for pool

Wally_in_Cincy
03-22-2004, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> ..Is there a place to see what is scheduled?... <hr /></blockquote>

This is the original thread when this was announced. It may change some but basically it's every day at 11:00 and 5:00

billiards month thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=122394&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Wally_in_Cincy
03-22-2004, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Sounds crazy to me, like he is not sure what value is? Is this the same for the magazine he currently works for? It is all old in the past stuff, nothing live happening in his magazine, so it must be of little to no value also. I wonder if he would put that in print?

<font color="blue">I like your take eg8r. But at least BD is still better than P &amp; B. I guess accu-stats tapes are of little value too. I would like to see some of those on ESPN. </font color>

eg8r &lt;~~~~thinks statements like Panozzo's have little to no value for pool <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">When I read that column I just shook my head. It would be interesting to discuss it with him but BD seems to avoid this board like the plague (except for Bob Jewett). Maybe they saw how Fran used to get trashed here. </font color>

SPetty
03-22-2004, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wonder if SPetty got that dish aimed proper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote>Not yet. Worked on it all day Saturday - bought an extension wire and moved the antenna to another location - got the signal strength up to 68 or so from 42-44, but lost Sat110 in the process!

We'll try it again one more time next weekend if the weather permits. Thanks for thinking of me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I sure better get this thing working for April!!!

Rod
03-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I don't know what those numbers mean other than a high number sounds better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If you were doing that in Phoenix on a hot roof you'd need a gal or two of water. LOL I believe it was 92 today, it cooled down a little.

Rod

JohnBarton
03-23-2004, 12:31 AM
It seems as though the appeal of billiards is that it is ageless and timeless. Good pool is good pool. I think it's great that they are putting so much up in the blocks that they are.

For me, I am thrilled to be able to see some of the legends play that we only hear about now. My digital recorder will be on constantly in April.

John

Popcorn
03-23-2004, 01:15 AM
It doesn't matter if it is taped matches. It doesn't matter if they were played five years ago. People tune in to see pool. It is more of an exhibition sport then a sport with current champions and meaningful titles. It doesn't matter even if you know who won, you just want to see them play, the winner does not matter, ESPN know this. They don't show a football game over and over because no one would watch. They will watch things like a rodeo or skating and also pool because it is interesting to watch, that is it's only audience value. Once they have the rights to a pool tournament ESPN can milk it all they want and always drew an audience.

Ken
03-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Spetty,
So you lost Sat 110. It seems you are making progress. If you are connected to the more outside connection of the LNB you don't want to see Sat 110. You are in the best location in the USA for satellite reception and should have no trouble getting over 120 on the Sat 119 transponders. That's what you should be looking for. After you get Sat 119 the receiver will switch to Sat 110 when it looks for it. Go west and down.

The programming you want is on Sat 110. If you want to look for Sat 110 then connect to the other side of the LNB. You will still need to go west and down.
Ken

9 Ball Girl
03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Well my VCR will be set too since most of the matches will be aired while I'm at work. I just hope that when I get home and rewind and press play, it's not wrestling or table tennis or something! LOL

03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
We don't ALL avoid it like the plague, Wally. And thanks for your support. GF

Wally_in_Cincy
03-26-2004, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr>... GF <hr /></blockquote>

howdy stranger /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sally
03-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Wally, Mike Panozzo is in fact the publisher of BD. Mason King is the editor. (Small fact to some, big to others, I'd imagine.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sally:</font><hr> Wally, Mike Panozzo is in fact the publisher of BD. Mason King is the editor. (Small fact to some, big to others, I'd imagine.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sally,

I sit corrected /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and kudos to IP for their excellent DCC coverage.

rukiddingme
03-26-2004, 03:21 PM
... would this be GF whose favorite table at Chris' Billiards is table #8? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ruk

Tom_In_Cincy
03-26-2004, 03:50 PM
GF, good to see you reading/lurking again....

Still the first article I read every month.

SPetty
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wonder if SPetty got that dish aimed proper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote>Not yet. Worked on it all day Saturday... {failed miserably} <hr /></blockquote>So, we tried again. We mounted the antenna on a temporary portable board that we could put on the roof and move back and forth until we got a good signal. We never did get a good signal, but we got good enough (strength ~ 68) on both satellites. "That's good - lock 'er down!"

So we unscrewed the mast from the temporary board, screwed it down to the roof, drilled a hole in the roof for the antenna wire, and proceed to fail miserably in trying to find the satellites again. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. It was infuriating!

(deep breath...)

So, I finally called a guy who came out, took one look at what I was trying to do and said "That will never work. Look at all those trees!"

So after an exasperating day of waiting for them to get there - they were three hours late - and after they had to leave in the middle of working on mine to get to an "important" appointment - and after coming back and working on it for another two hours (causing me to have to cancel my physical therapy appt) - and after having to set up the antenna and then move it again because they chose wrong the first time - and after having to repair some vinyl siding they popped loose - they planted that antenna right smack dab in the middle of the highest point of the roof. The antenna wire runs down the front and through the hole we had already put in the roof.

After proper aiming, I'm max'ing out on signal strength on both satellites!

Sure hope all those extra needless holes in the roof are filled proper, and that none of them leak! Especially that last one...

They sure earned their money that day. They were up and down the 32' ladder a lot more than any human should have to do in one day. The peak of PettyPoint Pool Hall is a bit higher than your normal two story roof.

I've got DISH at PettyPoint Pool Hall. Just in time to record the oldies.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-15-2004, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
...I've got DISH at PettyPoint Pool Hall. Just in time to record the oldies.
<hr /></blockquote>

Haven't you heard? They canceled the oldies.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

let me know if you want tapes of the classic wpba matches. I have taped all of them.

Barbara
04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I've got DISH at PettyPoint Pool Hall. Just in time to record the oldies.
<hr /></blockquote>

All right SPetty!!

Barbara

ceebee
04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
well, you are right. They are Playing Allison, Jeanette &amp; Karen while the Soaps &amp; so-called Major Sports are going on. Anybody new to our sport probably thinks, "how can they call 9-Ball fun, when all the women are angry or look angry or are they just disgusted with their sport"? I'd rather watch two 4-Speeds play a $1000 match on live TV, rather than simply watch angry women run out every time "Billiards" shows up in the TV Guide..

Don't get me wrong here, I have the utmost respect for all women &amp; I really watch the gals play with plenty of enthusiasm. They play very well &amp; I learn something every match I get to watch.

But, to acheive an all-round perspective of the Pool &amp; Billiard World, other venues need to be aired on TV (no replays in the same season). A $5000 buy-in RING GAME, a great Snooker Match, highlights of 500/50 Golf Match on a Snooker Table, highlights of the $10,000 One-Pocket Match &amp; so on.

I'd rather support BCN &amp; Accu-Stats than try to ever convert the fools running ESPN &amp; ESPN2. Being "BRIGHT" &amp; being "IN-CHARGE", is generally two different things.

NH_Steve
04-15-2004, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> ... highlights of the $10,000 One-Pocket Match &amp; so on.
<hr /></blockquote>One Pocket on TV -- sounds good to me. I watched some of the Johnson City programing from 'Wide World of Sports' with Jim McKay (I believe) commentating, and when they go to the final playoff's One Pocket match, IIRC Boston Shorty broke, and according to McKay, "Boston Shorty has broken the balls and since he didn't make anything on the break, the table is still open for Mr. Lassiter..." ooops /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lassiter goes on to win BTW.

daviddjmp
04-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Just having pool on TV is great. All of the Accu-Stats matches I have paid money for are taped-

9 Ball Girl
04-15-2004, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> But, to acheive an all-round perspective of the Pool &amp; Billiard World, other venues need to be aired on TV (no replays in the same season). A $5000 buy-in RING GAME, a great Snooker Match, highlights of 500/50 Golf Match on a Snooker Table, highlights of the $10,000 One-Pocket Match &amp; so on.<hr /></blockquote>Hey Ceebee, I agree with you. But, who exactly is the target audience? Are there more pool players watching than nonpoolplayers? I would love to see everything that you mentioned above but I'm a poolplayer so of course! But if nonpoolplayers think that 9 ball is boring, can you imagine what they would think of 1 pocket? Oy!

ceebee
04-15-2004, 03:46 PM
I would seek an audience of Pool Players &amp; the Non-Pool Players that have an interest or want to be entertained. Watching the Players sit around with a frown on their TV face only entertain me when they are shooting &amp; only then if it's shot I have trouble with. But I like the game, so I watch.

Surely not all of those dumbed-down SOAPERS are really into personal relationships that suck. They watch because something interesting might happen... which leads me to this. Watching two 4-Speeds play for a $1000, on live TV, might be a real happening thing. The lower level Player could certainly get into that kind TV match real quick. The higher level Player would get a lot of laughs outa the deal &amp; utter these words very frequently, "I can remember doing that same thing" or "I really hated CHOKING".

The VIDEO Recording arena gives us a lot for our buck. You can watch a 3 rail 2 dozen times &amp; actually learn the shot. You can replay it when you wake up. TV is a great thing, but it's mostly a "cash cow" for some network johnnies that couldn't give a hott about you or I.

If you folks start writing Simonis, or Cue-Tec or Brunswick or Olhausen &amp; pitching a fit about their sponsored Pool Matches... things would happen &amp; quickly. They spend their sponsorship money to get their name before your face. If you BARF at their stale attempts... they'll start giving you some fresh meat to dine on.

Now that POKER has made it's debut &amp; it's only format is gambling... let's see some real gambling on a "RACE to 10" 9-Ball match. Let's see EWA &amp; her husband interview the stake-horses, as the match proceeds. Lets see a little squirming... the winner gets the BETTING MONEY &amp; the TV MONEY... the loser doesn't get diddly squat.

BCN &amp; Accu-Stats are in the business of providing You &amp; I Instructions &amp; great matches we otherwise would not have witnessed. I heartily support them, introduee the concept of these two companies to your Pool Room Owner. Remind them their selling Pool, Billiards &amp; Budweiser, not Football or Basketball. If the Proprietor teaches the 4-Speeds to become 6 or 7 Speeds, they'll start living at the Pool Hall, then their business goes thru the roof &amp; we all benefit.

ace895
04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
it will be hard for any sport such as pool to get much recognition on televison because, whether we want to admit it or not, there is a very small viewer pool. Unlike basketball, baseball, and football, their is very little "action" in pool to the lay person. of course, all the people on this board think that pool is action packed, but we understand what the action is. I can easily understand why my aunt jenny, my girlfriend, or anyone not deeply rooted in the pool subculture would be bored by the game. At least when you watch the major sports, their is some physical action. that helps to draw undevoted fans. When you talk about poker making a surgance into the televison forum i can only say one word...fad. The poker tournaments and tours that you see on tv will probably start to see a dramatic decline in viewers pretty soon. People in general become bored easily. to most people, pool is boring and so is poker. imo, which ain't worth much! lol
ace

stickman
04-15-2004, 10:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I've got DISH at PettyPoint Pool Hall. Just in time to record the oldies. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad to hear it. Wish I could have helped.

Jim

04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Oui, c'est moi. And the May column takes in both Table 8 AND table 26. GF

04-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Glad to meet you there every month, Tom; wish I had another 400,000 or so like you. GF