PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a business license and other information

Sparky
03-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Hello Everyone...

I hope that it is okay to post this here.

I would like more information on how to obtain a business license and other information. I am trying to start my own business. I want to do it legally. I want to register my business. I also want to donate a certain percentage of every sale to the American Cancer Society.

If this post is not allowed here, could you please come over to my APA Pool League Discussion Forum and give me some information. The site is

APA Pool League Discussion Forum (http://groups.msn.com/APAPoolLeague)

You will need a .NET passport to join the group.

Thanks,
Sparky /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eric.
03-23-2004, 10:50 AM
If you plan on opening a small home business asa Sole Proprietor, it may be as simple as registering a Trade Name (also known asa DBA-'doing business as') with your county and getting a State tax ID number. Every state is different, but generally it works like this:

Go to Staples or Offic Depot and buy a "Trade Name Certificate". This is a spoecific form you need to fill out and file with the County Clerk. Next, call the County Clerk where the Bbusiness is located and ask what the procedures/fees are. Then, file for a State Tax ID number. If you plan on having employees, you need a Federal E.I.N. Tax ID, otherwise the State one is fine.

Last, take your executed Trade Name certificate and go open a businees checking account. The costs are modest and it makes your business seem more legit because if someone writes you a check in the Businees name, it can be deposited with out it turning into a run around. Also, it separates your personal savings from the business money which is a good thing too.

That's it in a nutshell. There are more details, but this will get you up and running, for now.

Eric

Sparky
03-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks Eric...

I appreciate your advice. Does this apply to online businesses too? I do not have a store front or anything.

Take care,
Sparky (Erik)

dg-in-centralpa
03-23-2004, 07:06 PM
It should apply to mail order because as a legit business, you'll have to pay taxes on what you earn. Also check with an accountant and attorney for filing fictitious names.

DG - been so long since I did it, I forgot what all to do

wolfdancer
03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Sparky, I don't think you need a business license. I mean the Candle idea is so out-dated, 60-ish, or 70-ish, that I'm sure the statute of limitations, or is that statue of imitations, has already expired.
But you have a good idea, donating a % of your profits, to charity.
I've decided to cut out the middle man, and every time, I'm even tempted to buy a candle, I'll put aside something for charity...so far I've "raised" $.75
But, I'm praying for you to "make it"...next time I go to church, I may even lite a candle for you