PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Cleaner Breakthrough

TommyT
03-23-2004, 06:58 AM
My wife bought home a package of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which cleans scuffs from walls and other difficult to remove grime. I tried it on a couple of shafts and this stuff is amazing and real easy to use. It totally removed all the chalk from the shaft by simply rubbing with light pressure. The eraser looks like a sponge and I quartered it with scissors and used each quarter for a shaft. It's also reusable. Try it you'll like it. I'll see you at Valley Forge looking forward to meeting everyone.

Later...............TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DennyS
03-23-2004, 07:35 AM
I gotta agree with you Tommy, it works pretty good!

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Tommy...Where'd you buy yours? Wal-Marts carry this stuff?

Sid

TommyT
03-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Walmart sells it.
TommyT

houseman
03-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Got mine at the local grocery store. Use it on my personal cues and all the house cues in my pool room. Works great,
Tell the wife to look for it next shopping trip.

BillPorter
03-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Saw a box of them at the grocery store (Kroger) this evening and remembering your post, I bought them. Gave the product a try and it worked great. Doesn't seem to take off any wood, but does a quick and thorough deep cleaning job. Pretty nifty! Thanks for the tip.

SPetty
03-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Do you moisten it before using it? Or do you use it dry? Or any other cleaners?

I bought some of these to clean up shoe scuffs off a vinyl floor, and it worked like nothing. Nothing. Didn't do a thing. Didn't touch it.

miko
03-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Is it a melamine sponge?

houseman
03-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Yes, use it slightly damp. then take a towel or rag and rub the shaft real good to dry it, and seal it or what ever method you used before, I use my little lathe so it`s easier for me.

Paul_Mon
03-24-2004, 06:47 AM
What a guy. You're going to Valley Forge for 4 days, probably going to spend a small fortune on cues. Meanwhile, back home your wife is scrubbing walls.

Your my hero.

Paul Mon~~~~WHIPPED. Had to scrub the walls to get permission to go to VF.

OnePocketChamp
03-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Hey, thanks for the great tip! I have been always on the look out for a new and better way to keep my shafts clean and this tip is the real deal. Easy to use and did an outstanding job, your wife has become my new hero!!!!!!

TommyT
03-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Paul, I suggest you go out and buy this product. As I've said before, clean your freakin shafts!!!.
See you in the A.M.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DMoney1644
03-24-2004, 02:13 PM
has anyone been using this stuff for a while so you know for sure it won't harm your shaft in the long run? do you use anything to seal the shaft after cleaning it like this?

Tommy_Davidson
03-25-2004, 02:39 AM
> Dammit,I found out about this awesome product from my mother about 3 weeks ago,and someone else posts about it before me! This is truly an amazing product,and no lathe is needed,I used it the first time almost totally dry,and literally watched both the shaft and my wrap change colors. After the wrap dried,it looked like it was rewrapped,all it needed was a little burnishing,and the shaft was even better,all I did was polish with 2000 and was like a brand new shaft. I am going to buy all of this product I can,so if it happens to suddenly be phased out,I can still rely on my stock. By the way,anyone found an MSDS sheet on these? Maybe we can find out what's in them,but my mom had no luck on their site. Tommy D.

daviddjmp
03-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I am going to try to get some of these today. My guess is the main ingredient is some kind of bleach, the same type of cleaning agent which I believe is found in Q-Clean which is a crystalline form of precipitated calcium carbonate. If you can deal with it being a little messier than Q-Clean, you can buy it on the web for about $6 per pound instead of $10 for an ounce. As long as there is no long-term harm to bare wood, this stuff may be the key-

SpiderMan
03-25-2004, 12:18 PM
If it's bleach, I wouldn't use it regularly. Bleach gradually disintegrates cotton clothing, so I'd expect the surface of a frequently-bleached shaft to become softer as it rots over time.

SpiderMan

daviddjmp
03-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, all of the stuff they use for tile grout like Tilex are bleach based. Keep in mind, just a guess, I don't know the exact chemical composition-

bigshooter
03-25-2004, 12:42 PM
I like my shafts green and dirty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Iowashark
03-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Here's a coupon

http://www.startsampling.com/sm/3481/captureAddress.iphtml?item=3481&source=eraser49

Now don't say I never did anything for you guys.

daviddjmp
03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Very Cool, Thanks-

SPetty
03-25-2004, 07:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr>My guess is the main ingredient is some kind of bleach, the same type of cleaning agent which I believe is found in Q-Clean which is a crystalline form of precipitated calcium carbonate. <hr /></blockquote>No, I don't think these magic erasers have any kind of cleaner "built in" to them. They look and feel like plain tight foam rubber.

miko
03-25-2004, 08:20 PM
If this is the same as the melamine sponge I am talking about. Take a look at this link explaining the concept of the melamine sponge.

http://www.sunpowerusa.com/whismefo.html

by the way, the melamine sponge I am using is similar to this. http://www.1euro.jp/index.html?target=p_422.html&amp;lang=en-gb

woody_968
03-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Here is a post from another board,

[ QUOTE ]
I found the MSDS (Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet) for this. If you are EVER curious about what is in a product, just search for the name or ask to see the MSDS at the retailer's.
Ingredients: Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer.

Health Hazards (Acute and Chronic): This product is considered to be non-toxic

Ingestion: Blockage of the gastrointestinal tract may occur if swallowed.
Eye Contact: N/A
Skin: N/A
Inhalation: N/A

Signs and Symptoms of Exposure:

Ingestion: May cause irritation and/or blockage of the gastrointestinal tract.

Eye Contact: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.

Skin: Dust from foam may cause mechanical irritation.

Inhalation: Dust from foam may cause irritation of the respiratory tract.

Emergency and First Aid Procedures:

Ingestion: If the sponge is ingested, contact a physician or veterinarian immediately. Intestinal blockage may be
life threatening to some household pets.

Eye Contact: In case of eye irritation, flush thoroughly with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.

Skin: In case of skin irritation, flush affected area thoroughly with water and apply a cold compress. If
irritation persists, seek medical advice.

Inhalation: If respiratory irritation occurs, move from the site of exposure to an area with fresh air. If irritation
persists, seek medical advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS for the eraser

<hr /></blockquote> Sorry I couldnt copy the link. Anyway it does mention the Melamine. I am going to try to pick some of these up today and give them a try.

SPetty
03-26-2004, 09:13 AM
It looks like the same thing to me. Although Mr. Clean doesn't use the word melamine in any of its published words, it does say it's made in Germany on the box...

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/eraser_useage.shtml
http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/images/products/usage_eraser.jpg

daviddjmp
03-26-2004, 09:38 AM
This was extremely helpful. Just the physical properties of more contact with the stain are what make this thing work. I picked some up yesterday and will try them tomorrow. This is what a forum is all about, getting useful and accurate information..Thanks!

SpiderMan
03-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the link. That clears up a lot of questions.

SpiderMan

miko
03-26-2004, 11:34 AM
I just got mine from a friend in Japan the other day. Before I got this I was using alcohol to clean my cue and this sponge definitely works way much better without the concern of what effect alcohol might have on my shaft in the long run. It seems this sponge is heaven sent for us poolplayers. It doesn't look like its taking off any wood and u only have to damp the sponge with water. What more can we ask for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boalt06
03-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. I used the eraser, and the blue came off effortlessly.
--Erick

Popcorn
03-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Just got back from the store and picked up the product, $2.43 for a two pack. Will give it a try.
Thanks

PQQLK9
03-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Thank you Tommy T.
I just bought a Pkg. and cleaned two shafts that I thought would never come clean. $2.19 @ Bi-Lo. It worked like a charm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
03-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Great tip, I hope. Seems almost too good to be true. Way easier and seems much less abrasive than a quick once-over with Soft Scrub, which I was doing every couple of weeks.

SPetty
03-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Sid,

Knowing that you like pristine perfect white shafts, have you tried it yet? Did it work the wonders told about here?

Sid_Vicious
03-27-2004, 09:09 AM
No, but I'm going to now that it sounds as if the stuff doesn't have bleaching agents. I hear that there's advice from the manufacturer to not use it on dark colored surfaces, so I'm probably going to give some old clothing the blotter test to see if it does actually fade(bleach) to some degree. I hear that the Eraser seeps a whitish color when water escapes, and that concerns me a bit. I will try it on a broken shaft I have lying around first..sid

Jay
03-27-2004, 10:42 AM
After reading the all the posts on the thread, the eraser obviously does a good job of clean the grime off the shaft but how does the shaft feel after it is cleaned. Do you need to do anything to it after you use the eraser like burnish it or something like that. I was thinking about using it on my Predator but I dont want to mess the shaft up. They say you shouldnt use abrasive cleaners on the shaft but ill give it a try anyways. Sounds good

mike_in_iowa
03-27-2004, 12:01 PM
I tried to last night and it really did work like magic. Cleaned out the pores. I did need to polish it with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and then leather to burnish. works better than advertised

mike in iowa

Sid_Vicious
03-28-2004, 12:02 PM
I just tried the stuff, yes it works well but it didn't get the shaft without a definite haze, I've had it this clean with personal time invested already. All in all I give it a thumb up, maybe a .927 on the olympic rating scale, just too particular I guess.

Wanted to add though, this stuff is definitely the best cleaner I've used. The best is a good definition, so I'll use the Magic Eraser as a primary cleaner from now own...sid

c.holtz009
03-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I just tried it today. WOW I'm really impressed. I cleaned all my cue shafts, and burnished them.
Best product I've used yet.
I can't see it being harmful to the laminate on the Predator shaft. Anyone have any insight to this?

mworkman
03-28-2004, 09:56 PM
I tried it today. It worked pretty good. I think I may have used a little too much water tho'. Should use just a
little bit of water.

dmgwalsh
03-30-2004, 09:03 AM
I used it on mine too and it does a pretty good job. The shafts look a lot different, like bare wood. Should I put a sanding sealer on it?

Barbara
03-30-2004, 02:13 PM
OMIGOSH!!

I just bought a pack at the store and cleaned my two shafts. There's hardly any chalk left!!! Woohoo!!

Now if the Quick Clean would work like that on my wrap...

BTW, it was really nice meeting you at the Expo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Barbara
03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm going to bring the box and one of the "sponges" with me when I get my shafts re-tipped. If the product gets the thumbs down, I'll be using it on the house and not my shafts. I'll let you know.

But it really cleaned some residual chalk that's come off with my conventional method.

Barbara

Rod
03-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks Tommy. This stuff works a little too good for me. The shafts look almost new so I see the grain although very little because of the tight grain. I do see two sugar spots in one shaft that always bugged me, that I had forgot about. Well I did two and left the other two well seasoned, if you know what I mean. LOL I hit it with 1500 afterwards and burnished with the back side of new 600 grit wet or dry. It's something I might do once a year. I'm just not use to shafts being so white and tidy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I like the slight drag of a well seasoned shaft.

I'm thinking a sponge may do near the same although it is not as fine and dense as these pads. Perhaps the right density of sponge. I tried a peice of foam rubber and it did clean but not as well. It did however work better than say, a damp rag.

Rod

Rod
03-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't think bleach was ever added. If there ever was any it gets rinsed out since the thing has to be rinsed at least twice to get the shaft clean. What cleans is the texture of this pad but it's not abrasive, as in remove wood. After a few rinses I did a second shaft which again needed to be rinsed. I'll bet there was never any bleach. It worked good on my near new tennis shoes too. I forgot I did them before the shafts, so it had been rinsed a couple of times there too.

Rod