PDA

View Full Version : Food and drink

Leviathan
03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
I play in a weekly tournament at a sports bar. The guys who finish in the money week in and week out eat solid meals during the course of the evening and stick mostly to nonalcoholic beverages. The less experienced and less successful players drink more heavily and donít eat. The winners approach the nightís play in a realistic and disciplined way: they figure to play from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m., and they know that they canít last unless they eat and drink right--so they eat and drink right. The losers starve themselves, drink like fish, and self-destruct. Most of the heavy drinking looks like an expression of anxiety.

So a word of friendly advice to the beginners at the weekly tournament: have a good meal, relax, and don't drink so damn much.

AS

UWPoolGod
03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah there is a good player here, maybe 28 or so, who is technically a "Master" in 9ball because he placed high (top 64) in a tourney for BCA. The guy plays better 9ball that 8ball, which I don't understand, but he sits there drinking from when he shows up until he is knocked out or wins. Whatever the special is...drinks em all...beer, Jager, Duck Farts, Lynchburg lemonades, Long islands. Doesn't matter, mixes em all. And he wonders why he starts to miss every other shots heading towards the finals.

cycopath
03-23-2004, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> The guy plays better 9ball that 8ball, which I don't understand...<hr /></blockquote>

Well 8 ball is a game of inches...

Oh my god, someone shoot me. I'm starting to quote Mitch Laurance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

J/K /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Iowashark
03-23-2004, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Whatever the special is...drinks em all...beer, Jager, Duck Farts, Lynchburg lemonades, Long islands. <hr /></blockquote>

What's a Duck Fart?

UWPoolGod
03-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Its a type of drink...or sniff...

Equal Parts of; Kahlua, Bailey's &amp; Crown Royal

Layer in order into a Shot or Pony glass

Kind of milky tasting but smooth, if you like foo-foo shots.

Predator314
03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I love to see a drunk opponent. It's easy to get their mind off the game.

I would occasionally drink a little while playing in a tournament. I can only remember doing well one time (in Orlando, FL). I was drunk as a monkey and still in the winners bracket two matches away from the finals.

Once I noticed how well I was doing, I knew the alcohol was going to hurt my chances. I tried to sober up, but it was no use. I lost my next two matches. One of them was against a guy I beat like a drum the next two nights.

I kind of look back on that tournament and kick myself in the ass. It was good money if you placed. I think the beer actually helped me a little in the beginning. I was in a strange city playing against over 100 strangers. It loosened me up. The problem is that I got a little too loose.

I've quit drinking since then. When I'm playing in a tournament, I usually get a good, non-greasy meal. I drink water the whole night.

Vagabond
03-24-2004, 05:38 AM
just wondering?He is the only one from that part of the country that played in the BCA open 9 Ball.Cheers
Vagabond

boalt06
03-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the advice. THe alchol part is pretty apparent, but the part about food is less obvious. I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I Can recall several times, when I started to play really bad (by my standards...which is horrible), ate some food, and then was playing good again (again, by my standards).
Erick
P.S. Duck Farts cant be good for anything!

pooltchr
03-24-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr>Duck Farts cant be good for anything! <hr /></blockquote>

Tell that to the DUCK!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif