PDA

View Full Version : gambling

04-26-2002, 11:48 AM
How would you go about asking someone to bet playing pool. I don't want to sound like a jerk to the person, especially if they just wanna have fun. I'm not good enough to play against serious road players. I just started out. Anyone have any ideas.

thanks,
newguy

04-26-2002, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: newguy:</font><hr> How would you go about asking someone to bet playing pool. I don't want to sound like a jerk to the person, especially if they just wanna have fun. I'm not good enough to play against serious road players. I just started out. Anyone have any ideas.

thanks,
newguy <hr></blockquote>

'interested in playing some ... cheap'?

Kato
04-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Hey Newguy, how you doing? I see you're a 9-ball player. Wanna play some a buck a game? Yes, great!!!!!! No, wanna play some for fun..........or..........see ya around.

Kato

Cueless Joey
04-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Start playing for nothing. Then drinks or food. Then 5 bucks race to 5. And so on.

Chris Cass
04-27-2002, 09:37 AM
Ok Newguy,

First you walk up. Say, Hi, I'm newguy, would you like to play some $100. sets? If he or she say no, I'm not good enough to play for that kind of money. Then say, well how about a buck a game? They feel they've got a deal.LOL

True story though. I used it in the bars long time ago. A guy would put his quarters in to play the winner. I would tell him, the last guy was playing $20. a game. How much do you want to play for? They would always say, I won't play for $20. but I can go $5.? See, otherwise, the guy would have said, I'll play ya for a buck.

Regards,

C.C.~~too much information.

Cueless Joey
04-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Chris, is that what salespeople refer to as "sell up to sell down"?
"Did you want the undercoat, overcoat, scotchguard, extended warranty and alarm with that?"

Jay M
04-27-2002, 11:58 AM
don't forget the nice little negotiation technique called "nibbling". In the car industry, it's usually done the way you mentioned, but the customers do it as well. "That DOES come with a full tank of gas and a detail, right?"

The way it relates to pool is after you set the bet (that you expect to win), you add in... "oh, and loser pays the time, right?" or something else that seems fairly inconsequential at first glance.

You can add all sorts of interesting things in there. Winner gets your girlfriend...(joke) loser buys the next round things like that. You'd be surprised how well it works.

Then there is the "flinch". Whatever someone offers to spot you (or asks for), visibly react with a flinch and say "oh come on, surely you can do better than that" Most of the time, they'll change the spot in your favor and occasionally they'll put their foot in their mouth and give up WAY too much. BTW, if someone ever does this to you, the counter is to say "Exactly how much better would I have to do?" putting them right back on the spot to give you an answer. If you don't like their response, you can always walk away. Either way you still are controlling the negotiations and will end up with a bit better spot than you would have if you didn't try them.

Jay M

04-27-2002, 01:04 PM
Going along the lines of Jay's post, remember one simple rule when negotiating a game:

NEVER be the one to speak first when it comes to a spot. You may approach someone for a game, but always allow HIM to give the first offer. You are at a huge advantage when you do this.

One of the life lessons I've learned in a poolroom...

- Steve

Drake
04-27-2002, 02:52 PM
Nice point Steve! Also, It's a good rule of thumb to never change frome the game you start with. You can always play with a different spot on another day.

bigalerickson
04-27-2002, 07:53 PM
What is the best way to approach someone about a spot, if you are the one needing it? What is the best way to control that situation?

Thanks

AL

cheesemouse
04-27-2002, 08:40 PM
"I'd like to give you some $$$ action but I need weight from a player of your caliber". Nothing like the straight forward approach. As far as controlling the situation; don't bet more than you can afford to loose. Keep the bet real comfortable and play your game. Enjoy the moments of action!!!

Rod
04-27-2002, 10:20 PM
My answer would be, how well do you think I play? Anyway if it's a cheap bet don't expect much weight if any.

04-27-2002, 11:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> What is the best way to approach someone about a spot, if you are the one needing it? What is the best way to control that situation?

Thanks

AL <hr></blockquote>

big, you got my attention with your use of the phrase "control the situation." i used to teach media relations and one of my majic beans was just that: control the situation.

giving and getting weight is about the most important skill in pool. everyone has stories of people winning big with weight but around here the weight would come off before the losses got very big. among fairly good players who know each other one must lose a couple of sessions before the weight moves.

really, it all depends on who is looking for action.

in answer to your question, first you must decide if you are going to be a match seeker or not. that sets your position in the deal which then has it's own set of rules on how you control that situation.

hang around, try to figure out everyone's speed and get in when you feel comfortable. oh, and if they've gotten a game of 3-ball or a ring game or something like that going then try to get in.

good luck. if you keep your losses managable then you should start working your way up the food-chain.

dan

Ralph S.
04-28-2002, 12:54 AM
Gambling when you are relatively new to the game and gambling itself has the potential to be disastrous. The advice given so far is very good and sound. The one thing I would say is remember that you had to learn to crawl first, then walk and finally run. Keep it small starting out and use a little common sense and you will be just fine. As your game progresses then you can start going after the bigger fish so to speak. Always try to shoot with the utmost composure and confidence, meaning dont let yourself get rattled. If you become intimidated it will show. Best of luck to you.
Ralph S.

Chris Cass
04-28-2002, 01:04 AM
Hey Joey,

I don't know? You'll have to ask Scott Lee. Someone say's he looks the car salesman your talking about and Tom's site. LOLLOLLOL

Come to think about it. The last time we played he told me I should look into buying Lot's of lesson's. hahahahaha

Just kidding, Scott was great,

C.C.

Cueless Joey
04-28-2002, 01:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Joey,

I don't know? You'll have to ask Scott Lee. Someone say's he looks the car salesman your talking about and Tom's site. LOLLOLLOL

Come to think about it. The last time we played he told me I should look into buying Lot's of lesson's. hahahahaha

C.C. <hr></blockquote>......
Did he try to sell you his From Tip to Bumper Guarantee?
LOL
Joey ~Wish Scott gives lessons in Calif.~
GO L.A. KINGS!!! LAKERS!!!

cheesemouse
04-28-2002, 08:55 AM
My reply to Rod,
The pool detective across the room says I need the rainbow and the snaps from you, cause, you haven't lost since 1949, Christmas Island. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
04-28-2002, 06:37 PM
They didn't have a table there in 49. The "Chief" and I bet it up bowling with coconuts on the beach! The detective had some side action on me. How was I to know the Chief knew every roll on the beach? He never lets me forget that day. I mean Jeez what do I have to do to get on his good side. Now he's selling me out to a mouse, who wants the cheese!

cheesemouse
04-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Rod,
That detective mentioned that you chopped him at low tide for some coconut milk. Now he steers every agent that walks through the front door to you for 5%. He said you were a dog walker. Hahahhaahhaaahhaahh!!!!!!

Rod
04-29-2002, 12:51 AM
Well your not getting any weight, because I've seen what you do to most cats!

http://www.humorsphere.com/images/819924/248.jpg

Rod
04-29-2002, 12:54 AM
On the other hand, I ain't most cats!! hahahahahaha

http://www.humorsphere.com/images/819924/42.jpg

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2002, 07:57 PM
First ask to play, friendly-like. After half an hour just imply that a wager for "sport", maybe for drinks, a race to 5 for ten...something easy might smooth the rest of the day along....sid

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2002, 08:00 PM
"You are NOT a nice man Rod!" FUNNY!!! SID

Rod
04-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Well Sid somebody has to keep the cheese in line!

Chris Cass
04-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Hi Rod,

I heard when you play your never out of line. Need a backer?

Regards,

C.C.~~picking on a poor whittle mouse. LOLLOL My pyfon? lollol

cheesemouse
04-30-2002, 08:25 AM
all,
It's like my grandpappy(Mighty mouse)always said, "remember chezypo, the second mouse always gets the cheese" http://www.animation-station.com/anigifs/anim0330.gif

Chris Cass
04-30-2002, 09:00 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Morning Cheese,

The mouse always gets the cheese.

LOL,

C.C.

Rod
04-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Chris,
I can't run out of line with with this hook set so deep in my jaw. I just lay on my side and flop!/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
04-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey Chris,

I think I said that. But now, Stickman has Tom's picture of Scott Lee on
his site, plus another picture that is labeled as Scott Lee but looks totally
different. Since you've met him, which is the real Scott Lee?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Joey,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

stickman
04-30-2002, 11:00 AM
The picture of Scott by himself is from his web site. I'm guessing it's not a real recent picture. The other with JimS and Chris Cass is recent. I'll have one of him with me if I ever get my film developed. LOL

SpiderMan
04-30-2002, 02:41 PM
BTW, why is there not a stickman picture on the stickman photo site? Planning to hit the road and rob us anonymously?

SpiderMan

stickman
04-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Another possibility: This is what the instructional session with JimS, Gayle, and Chris Cass did to him. LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

jjinfla
05-01-2002, 05:41 AM
Chris, With all your experiences, stories, when you going to sit down and write a book? Jake

Chris Cass
05-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi Jake,

It's common knowledge on the board, I'm the worst speller here. I'm too dumb, even with a AAS in Electronics in which I'm very proud of myself. I still can't write a sentence correctly. Thank God, everyone here at the CCB has class and don't dog me on my short comings.

If I ever wanted to write a book. I'd dedicate it to the people like you and others here, that are so kind to me.

Adoring peanuts? How to lose correctly? One mistake, costs two games? Shark mames shooter? How to beat a ankle biter? 101 ways to come up with an excuse? Don't fish in Fla., you might catch your lunch? The ony justis in pool is Jack? hahaha that was a goodie.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Rod,

That's what you want people to think. I know better.....

LOL,

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Hi Spiderman,

The real Scott Lee has a lisp and spits in your face, when he talks to you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Just kidding. Scott is much thinner, than in that picture. Also, he's much younger looking in person. He has a dry sence of humor as I do. Some people might not appreciate it but I did. He's funny and a good caring person. He likes what he does and most important, he believes in it. He's truly dedicated in helping others. He'll also $hit rack ya, in a NY minute.

hahaha,

C.C.~~likes Spiderman...

Chris Cass
05-01-2002, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> Another possibility: This is what the instructional session with JimS, Gayle, and Chris Cass did to him. LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif <hr></blockquote>

Hi Stickman,

I am innocent. It was all Galye and Jim S. They did it not me.

The good boy,

C.C.

stickman
05-01-2002, 11:02 AM
J/K /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif Yes, Scott is a great teacher, and a great guy. He's not too bad a shooter either. Everytime I missed, he ran out on me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Except for that one $1000.00 shot.

jjinfla
05-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Chris, Spelling is just like pool - the more you do it the better you get at it. And the modern word processors will not let you misspell a word. And you can always get someone to polish it or write it for you. But only you have the ideas, experiences in your head. Drop by the library and pick up McGoorty by Byrne or The Green Felt Jungle by Huber or Bet High and Kiss Low by the Professor and I am sure that you can match their stories. Just write a few pages a day, like on your lunch hour at work, and before long you will have enough for a book. Just a thought. Of course, getting it published is another thing. Jake

Scott Lee
05-05-2002, 01:47 AM
CC...Listen here buddy...DO NOT critisize my rack, just because you can't make a ball off of it! You can inspect it ANYTIME prior to breaking, and inform me if ya don't like it! It just so happens that I know HOW to rack! LOL
Luv ya man! Good luck in Vegas!

Scott

05-05-2002, 12:11 PM
good post. i've wondered about this predicament lately. recently i've offered to play for a beer or something small and i've felt like a jerk on occasion even for that..guys on dates that refuse the wager and then look upset... his date wanting him to play...him not wanting to loose..me feeling like a boob. i think the only fix is to limit inquiries about bets to billiards places, if in a bar wait to be asked(unless the table holder is a loud braggart). if a guy is on a date then don't ask even in doubles(unless of course he's a ...)
best regards,
^v^