PDA

View Full Version : 91 players at Airway

ShayneinDayton
03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Wow, 91 players showed up at Airway last night for thier Monday $5 nineball tourny. I finished tied for 18th and when I left I think Joe Brown was playing Jason Miller for the hot seat. That was around 12:30 am. I think I'm going to the parking lot at lunch for a nap.

Shayne

RUNaRAK
03-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Shane,

What is the normal turn out for that tournament. What is the format, elimination etc. Sounds like a great time!

Fred Agnir
03-23-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Shane,

What is the normal turn out for that tournament. What is the format, elimination etc. Sounds like a great time! <hr /></blockquote>The normal turnout for this weekly Monday night $5 9-ball tournament is around 60 players. I played it probably a dozen times, and the only time it dipped to the low 50's was during the VNEA Nationals.

It's 9-ball, race to 3 in the winners, and race to 2 in the losers. IIRC, it alternating breaks. 9' GCIII's and Diamond Pros. Players like the late Gary Spaeth (multi-time World Bank Pool Champion), the late Steve Cook (former world One-Pocket Champion), current World Bank Pool Champion from the Derby City Classic Jason Miller, former VNEA National 8-ball Champion Frank Ruby, former VNEA National 9-ball runner up Joe Brown, and a slew of also-rans are/were weekly competitors at this unique tournament.

Fred

ceebee
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
hey there Fred, how are Todd &amp; George Rood. I been thru the Airway Billiards a couple of times... nice bunch. I once flew in to Dayton, to take some lessons from George Rood. Great guy...

ShayneinDayton
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Fred pretty much nailed it. I'll add that it's looser breaks, no push and no three foul. They've been getting between 65 and 75 for the last 6 months or so.

sidepocketsam
03-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Now you did it, you made me homesick. I moved over 6 years ago, but before that I played in the Airway tourny every week just about. What a great time and I usually was home at a decent hour, which isn't good in that tourny.

I think I set a record there too. Jason beat me in a race to 3 in less than 2 minutes. I might have hung on for over 2 minutes but on the 3rd game I broke and the cue ball hopped off the table, one bounce into Jason's hand, he popped the one-nine combo and I was back to the bar with the same amount of beer I left with.

Perk
03-24-2004, 06:53 AM
With that amount of players, what kinda payouts are paid? What time does it usually end (if you were to win it, or WATCH the ending)? Sounds like a fun tourney.

On Fridays at the Billiard Cafe in Battle Creek, MI there is a $7.00 8ball tourney, Race to 1, Double Elim, with a calcutta. Pays anywhere from $350 - $500 or more for 1st if you have all of yourself in the calcutta. Makes it really interesting, considering anyone can beat a champ playin 8ball 1 game. No names go for 10/20 dollars in the calcutta, and the champs obviously go for alot more.

Fred Agnir
03-24-2004, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> With that amount of players, what kinda payouts are paid? What time does it usually end (if you were to win it, or WATCH the ending)? Sounds like a fun tourney.<hr /></blockquote> This type of tournament is a classic study of people playing without much concern for the money. Even the winners are there for an awefully long time for what would be paltry feedings. I came in 4th the first time I played it (72 players) and got a whopping $50.

The money wasn't worth my time (I lost at past midnight to Spaeth), but the experience was worth 100 times that.

Fred

ShayneinDayton
03-24-2004, 10:48 AM
It payed $190 to win last monday. I think second place was like $125 but I'm not sure. They always pay down to 6th place with 6th being $5 plus a free entry. 7th thru 12th get door prizes that a donated by local businesses. Airway always adds $50. If you place in the top 12 then you get points. The amount of points depends on where you finish. In the spring they have a tournament of champions based on points from the previous year. I think the top 16 or 20 are invited. This is a $500 dollar added event with a calcutta and has no entry fee.

Most mondays finish up well after 1 am. There is a break and run held after the tourny. Only those that are left get their names added to the hat from which they draw two names. They add to the pot each week.

Shayne

Pied Piper
03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
I just recently moved to the dayton area from Massachusetts. Up in mass i was used to the likes of boston billiards, london billiards, Jillians, Maximillians, and a couple hole in the walls. All really nice places with tournment spec and quality tables. Haven't been able to find any really nice places? How is Airway Billiards? are they nine foot tables, or did they put in midget tables like the rest of the place around here? And please don't tell me they are all gumball tables that require a couple quarters. But I didn't manage to go to one nice place, The Fox and Hound. The watresses are definately nice, and more importantly the tables are pretty clean and level!! If you could point in the right direction i would appreciate it.

ShayneinDayton
03-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Pied, Welcome to the Dayton Area. Airway is one of the nicer places around Dayton. They only have 12 tables but they're in pretty good shape. Five 9ft Diamonds, Two 9ft Gold Crowns and five pro 8ft Gold Crowns (I think). They serve food, beer and liquor. It dosn't get to smoky. Come out and play in the Mon. night 9 ball tournament. It starts at 7:30.