PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Contact Lenses and playing pool?

RUNaRAK
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
I just recently started wearing contact lenses and I am having a terrible time with them at the pool table. I see fine but when I get down over a shot, the balls have a halo around them and it makes the game a bit tougher.
The only reason that I am trying them out is for pool. I hate to play in my glasses because of the top of the glasses drive me crazy when I have a long shot.
I do have an astigmatism and therefor use a toric lens. This will not mean much to most CCB'ers but I wondered if anyone else has the same issues...

Thanks

9 Ball Girl
03-23-2004, 09:09 AM
I wear hard lenses and I have Keretaconus and astigmatism. I can't believe I used to play pool without any kind of corrective lenses so I used to shoot by "feel". But after wearing the lenses, I had to readjust where I was aiming because everything was clear as day!

You shouldn't be seeing a "halo" around the balls. Do you see a "halo" around anything else. This is what they would call a "ghosting" image. My contact lenses are custom made because of the shape of my corneas and it took a lot of visits before they got it right. Aside from having to change the plastic material, the prescription, one of the problems I had was that "halo/ghosting" effect. But I saw it immediately when I tried them on at the Doc's office. They made adjustments, and again, after several visits, since it's a trial and error type of thing, they got it right.

Once you have your lenses adjusted to where they need to be, pool will be so much better!

RUNaRAK
03-23-2004, 09:20 AM
9Ball,

Thanks for your reply. I will probably have to make several visits to my Opthamologist. I really only see that Halo when I am shooting pool. It is uncomfortable to look out of the top of my eyes with the contacts in. I will keep at it until he gets them right.
Thanks for your help..

Joe

Frank_Glenn
03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr>I do have an astigmatism and therefor use a toric lens. This will not mean much to most CCB'ers but I wondered if anyone else has the same issues...

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

I had one (toric) for my left eye. I could shoot and see fine until I went to the pool hall. The smoke would irritate my eye and the contact had to come out. I finally just gave up and shoot without glasses or contacs. My vision isn't really that bad, so this may not work for others. One thing you need to be aware of. The refraction from the glasses "shift" the balls. Contacts do not shift the balls like glasses, so the balls are "somewhere else" and you will need to learn to aim all over again. Good luck.

Barbara
03-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Joe,

I wear gas-permeable (hard) lenses because of my astigmitism. Mine are also custom made because of this. You don't say whether they're soft or hard lenses, so I'll assume they're soft lenses and they may not be correcting the astigmitism enough.

Do you see halos around lights at night? then you need to be refitted for your astigmitism.

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

Rod
03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>

I had one (toric) for my left eye. I could shoot and see fine until I went to the pool hall. The smoke would irritate my eye and the contact had to come out. I finally just gave up and shoot without glasses or contacs. My vision isn't really that bad, so this may not work for others. One thing you need to be aware of. The refraction from the glasses "shift" the balls. Contacts do not shift the balls like glasses, so the balls are "somewhere else" and you will need to learn to aim all over again. Good luck. <hr /></blockquote>

Frank,

Would you come again on that one. Your saying the contact lens do not shift the balls at all and glasses do. I wear contact's everything seems normal. I tried special glasses, Hy-Wide they seemed normal. I mean I didn't have to adjust for aim. I don't like them because it seems no lens is ever big enough for long shots. I had to hold my chin up higher than normal to keep away from the edge of the lens. Wearing them, I get this strange feeling I am trapped behind the lens or feel like I'm in a glass bubble. That's weird I know but it's the way I feel. I want my 20 yr old eyes back. LOL

Rod

SUPERSTAR
03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
My question would be. Do you wear soft lenses or are they harder more rigid gas permeables. I myself wear gas perms, and have worn them since before i ever started playing pool.
My experiences with vision problems usually have to do with lighting. If it is very smoky in the room...it's only a matter of time before i have a FOG covering the lenses, and causing a Halo effect you described.
If it is a tube bulb light running the length of the table, i never have vision problems at all unless it happens to be very smoky. IF however it is a table that has the separate lights....say 4 lamp shade style lights with 1 lightbulb per shade covering the table. I have MAJOR problems. When i'm standing before the table i can see everything on the table fine. When i bend down on the shot...the EDGE of the lamps is now over my eyes. Usually the direction of the light is coming RIGHT at my eyes and very bright as well. This results in a MAJOR glare effect for me. I can only play under these conditions if i wear a baseball cap. I feel that the conditions i experience are due to the fact that gas perm lenses are SMALLER than the iris itself. Where most soft lenses...are huge in comparison and cover the entire iris and beyond. I feel that the fact that the lenses are smaller ALLOWS the light to hit the EDGES of my contacts(since it's coming straight at them) and cause a streaking glare effect. Like the light is actually going from one edge of the contact to the other. (where if they were soft..the contact would be bigger and the upper and lower eyelids would cover the edges not allowing the light to touch the edges at all)
Tube bulbs never give me this problem and the light is usualy more evenly distibuted.

If you've just switched from glasses to contact. You have to give it time to get adjusted. Not only to the light differences, but to the distortion as well.

I remember there was a time where i had to go 5 weeks without my contacts, and figured i would just take a break from pool. Well that lasted about a week, and then i go in to hit some balls wearing my glasses and proceeded to miss EVERYTHING.
Now i'm not a novice, and and used to making what i shoot at but i felt for the first time in a long time...that i had absolutely NO clue.
Turns out that the way i was aiming was just not working with the glasses. BECAUSE....since i am nearsighted and have astigmatism. My lenses were distorting everything.
I would look at the balls when i was setting up the shot, but when i bent down..they went from round...to a more EGG shape, and i had no idea where to aim. This continued for a few weeks, and i basically went from a high speed to not being able to run 3 balls in a row. EVER. So as it turned out...i continued and finally got SORT of accustomed to the way i was seeing things, and my pocketing ability went up. Never to where i was playing BEFORE, but at least i wasn't the laughing stock of the pool room anymore.
SO...when i finally got my new set of contacts. I was confident that i would be right back where i had left off.

WRONG! I did have perfect vision, but the fact of the matter was..i had gotten used to pocketing balls with glasses. so NOW...when i looked at the ball and was expecting and egg shape.....i was looking at round balls and missing all over the place again.
THIS lasted for about 2 weeks total before i returned to the way i played before.
Anyway...so as i don't drag this out. Just make sure that you bring your cleaner and solution with you everywhere when your playing pool. Just keep some extra bottles in your case. For ME, keeping the lenses clean is key to me performing well. The light on the other hand is something that you will have to get used to. Just like i know when i wear my glasses...i have extra lights reflecting in the lenses from the sides and behind me. You get so used to them though, that you don't even notice after a while.
Same goes for contacts. Just give it time to see if you get used to it or not. I know people that switched to contacts, and THAT was the defining moment when their game took off.
Stick with it

Hope this has been informative
take care
SUPERSTAR

Keith Talent
03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
9BG is right. You shouldn't have to deal with any halo effect. That tells you something's off with your lenses. I remember having that years ago, but it's been so long I can't remember what the problem was. As for shooting with glasses ... my prescription's strong enough to cause all sorts of distortion. I wouldn't even try it.

I wore ordinary hard lenses from the time I was 17 till I was in my mid-20s, then gas perms for another 15 years, and now daily disposable soft lens for the past 3 years.

These disposable things are like a miracle, I tell you. Years before I'd looked into getting them, for backpacking trips, but was told I had too much astigmatism. Now they make them to compensate for that.

No more problems with dust, wind, smoke, anything like that. You can't feel them at all, and they're 70% water, which makes them real easy on your eyes. They're not as expensive as you might think, especially considering you can ditch all those fluids and cleaners you've been messing with. And you can wear em comfortably for 3 or 4 days, actually, if you get caught short. I buy them on the Web for $75 every 3 months, about half what a store would charge you ...

Small price to pay for clear 20/15 vision when you're somebody who is dead meat in the morning if he forgets where he put his glasses the night before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
03-23-2004, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> I just recently started wearing contact lenses and I am having a terrible time with them at the pool table. I see fine but when I get down over a shot, the balls have a halo around them and it makes the game a bit tougher.
The only reason that I am trying them out is for pool. I hate to play in my glasses because of the top of the glasses drive me crazy when I have a long shot.
I do have an astigmatism and therefor use a toric lens. This will not mean much to most CCB'ers but I wondered if anyone else has the same issues...

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

It's your astigmatism. Your eyes change during the day. No matter what kind of Toric lenses you have, at some point during the day they'll be out of "focus." Usually, it's night time smokey bars that will be the worst of it.

Been there, did that for over a decade.

Fred

RUNaRAK
03-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and advice. Just to answer some questions, they are a soft B&amp;L 2 week lens. The eye doc says they are sitting on my eyes just as they should but I have only been using them for 1 week. Prior to that, I have always played without glasses and have done rather well. It is just time to face that my eyes are getting worse and my game is going to fall off if I do not give them (my eyes) the attention that I need.
I will fight it out until I either get used to them or until my Eye doc gets me straight.
Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Joe

Keith Talent
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Good luck with those. Sounds like what I started with ... 2-week SofLens?

After a week or so, they won't be as clean as when you started, no matter what you do. That could be a big part of the problem.

I think somebody gave me a freebie on the dailies and I got hooked on them. Believe the difference is 50% water vs. 70%, and of course, the dailies are lighter.

buddha162
03-23-2004, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> The eye doc says they are sitting on my eyes just as they should but I have only been using them for 1 week. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you're just not used to them yet.

I've worn soft (permanent) contacts for the past 7 years, and have horrible astigmatism. Even now, it takes me a good 20-30 minutes to adjust looking upwards at an object ball everytime I step into my poolhall (which is 4-5x per week).

If everything else is fine, and you only have trouble when you're down over a shot, chin tucked in and eyeballs rolled skyward, then it should just be an adjustment period you have to go through.

Also, you should be playing a rack and resting your eyes for now. Don't try to force your eyes to adjust too quickly.

And lastly, I use saline as rewetting drops. They work great, are safe, and can really help you out in a smokey poolhall (the "real" rewetting drops irritate my eyes. I buy one of their bottles and dump out the contents, then pour in saline solution for sensitive eyes).

-Roger

Frank_Glenn
03-23-2004, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>

I had one (toric) for my left eye. I could shoot and see fine until I went to the pool hall. The smoke would irritate my eye and the contact had to come out. I finally just gave up and shoot without glasses or contacs. My vision isn't really that bad, so this may not work for others. One thing you need to be aware of. The refraction from the glasses "shift" the balls. Contacts do not shift the balls like glasses, so the balls are "somewhere else" and you will need to learn to aim all over again. Good luck. <hr /></blockquote>

Frank,

Would you come again on that one. Your saying the contact lens do not shift the balls at all and glasses do. I wear contact's everything seems normal. I tried special glasses, Hy-Wide they seemed normal. I mean I didn't have to adjust for aim. I don't like them because it seems no lens is ever big enough for long shots. I had to hold my chin up higher than normal to keep away from the edge of the lens. Wearing them, I get this strange feeling I am trapped behind the lens or feel like I'm in a glass bubble. That's weird I know but it's the way I feel. I want my 20 yr old eyes back. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
Astigmatism is when your eye is out of round. to correct it, the lense has prism in it. This gives a refraction correction that makes the ball look like it is somewhere other than where it really is. If you do not have astigmatism, your glasses may not have any prism, and may not shift the ball (and everything else you see). BTW, there may not be a lot of shift, but 1/8" is enough to make you miss. I'm also nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the other!

from http://www.m-w.com/

Main Entry: astig·ma·tism
Pronunciation: &amp;-'stig-m&amp;-"ti-z&amp;m
Function: noun
1 : a defect of an optical system (as a lens) causing rays from a point to fail to meet in a focal point resulting in a blurred and imperfect image
2 : a defect of vision due to astigmatism of the refractive system of the eye and especially to corneal irregularity
3 : distorted understanding suggestive of the blurred vision of an astigmatic person

Rod
03-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Oh ok, I do not have an astigmatism. Lucky me I guess. My eyes are a little flat, far sighted.

Rod

SUPERSTAR
03-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Ok. I am no optometrist, nor an opthomologist BUT. Far as i know. Nearsightedness is when you can see clearly close up, but the vision goes blurry when you are further away.
Farsightedness is when you can see clearly from far away, but have difficulty seeing up close.
ASTIGMATISM is when your vision is blurry to a degree REGARDLESS of how close or far away you are from an object.
It is blurry to that extent ALL the time.

Could be wrong, but i've had corrected vision for over 20 years, and remember it being explained to me like that.

I think near and far sightedness have to do with your cornea focusing fine AT a certain distance from the object. Where Astigmatism is due to a cornea that doesn't focus clearly at all regardless of distance.

Kind of like if you had perfect vision and went and put on someone's glasses....Resulting in your vision being messed up regardless of if you were close or far away...it's messed up all the time.

SUPERSTAR

tateuts
03-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I wore lenses most of my life until I had laser surgery.

There are lots of reasons why you could be seeing a halo effect. It definitely could be the type of lens. The eye doctor can give you several different sets of lenses to try.

It can also be caused by irritation in the eye. This is what I suspect. If your eyes get irritated enough becuase they are dry from adjusting to the lenses, that would do it. It could be oils on the lenses, from your hands, lotions, or sun block. Dust, chemicals and fumes can irritate the eye. Also, if you smoke or are around smoke a lot, that pretty much does the same thing. The chemicals directly contaminates the lenses and irritates your eyes. Be sure to wash your hands well before handling the lenses.

You might want to look into eye drops which can be applied directly into the eyes while you're wearing contacts. They need to be specially formulated for contact wearers (Visine eats the plastic lenses up).

Todays lenses are so exceptionally good that I am confident you will be fine wearing them playing pool.

Chris

Sparky
03-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I usually have a problem with my contacts fogging up or getting hazey. I haven't noticed a halo.

Sparky

TheFish
03-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Fogging up or getting hazy?

1) get disposables
2) clean your lens

It gets hazy because of protein buildup.

dg-in-centralpa
03-23-2004, 07:20 PM
I've been playing with hard gas permeable lenses for over 20 years. The only problem I had/have is in a real smokey place my eyes will dry out, so I keep a bottle of drops with me. I also have astigmatism, I can't see without my contacts - close or far.

DG - it sucks having bad eyesight

Sparky
03-24-2004, 08:38 AM
I have 2-week disposable contact lenses. I clean them all the time. Ummm...don't you think it could be the smoke in the bars getting into my contacts? Hmmmm...wouldn't that cause them to get foggy and hazey? I think so. I've been wearing contacts for a LONG time, so I know how to take care of them. It's not just from protein buildup.

RUNaRAK
03-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Mine are 2 week disposable too. IT is definitely not from protein build up. I had the problem the first time I got them out of the package. Smoke has not been the problem because I have not worn them around or in any smokey places yet. Time will tell.

JClark
04-19-2004, 06:19 AM
They are really good glasses made for pool where you don't have to deal with the rims of the glass at all, you can get information at e-mail randyg@poolschool.com

SpiderMan
04-19-2004, 09:10 AM
I wear contact lenses for pool. I buy the cheap $10-a-pair variety that does not correct astigmatism, of which I have about a half-diopter in each eye. The result is that I don't see quite as perfectly with the contacts as with my glasses, but I play pool much better for not having the glasses in front of my face.

The "halo" effect bothers some more than others, and it will become less noticeable with time and a good-fitting pair of contacts. I no longer notice it at the pool table unless my eyes get really dry, but if I look at a street lamp at night I can still see the halo around it.

SpiderMan

Mike H
04-19-2004, 10:39 AM
I wear toric lenses too and had a terrible time adjusting to them. It may take a few weeks to get used to them, but in the long run the halo will go away and you'll have a much better time of it than with your glasses. Also, always try to keep saline or rewetting drops in your case.....I learned that in warm weather they tend to dry up a little and irritate your eyes endlessly.