PDA

View Full Version : The good and bad

stickman
03-23-2004, 10:17 AM
The good: I played in an unrated Scotch doubles 9ball tournament last night. The partners were mated by a blind draw. It was a race to 3. My partner and I placed 2nd and won $200.00 for our effort.

The bad: On the hill/hill game, I had a fairly long shot at the eight ball into a corner pocket, nearly straight in. The nine was sitting almost in another corner pocket down the long bank. It was a gimme. Nothing fancy, just shoot the ball in and stop the cue ball. I didn't think I was nervous, in fact I was quite condident about the shot, but something happened. I miscued completely missing the 8ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif It was a easy win for the other team. The money didn't bother me, but I sure was embarrassed. I had played great all evening until that final shot.

cycopath
03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
If you'd take that damn beer bottle out of your bridge hand while you play'd...

Or at least hold it with your back hand.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stickman
03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
HaHa /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That is the most recent picture I have of myself. It was taken with my wife during a New Years party. She's now my ex-wife, so I cropped her out.

03-23-2004, 11:33 AM

Popcorn
03-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't think anyone doubt that is works. It is based on a well know theory. I used to practice stroking in front of a mirror and I would consciously make my stroke go straight. I would do about a 100 before going to the pool room. I played in one room where they had a big glass window in the front. At night the window turned into a mirror. Everybody practiced in front of it even a few of the top players that came in the room. Even the old bottle neck exercise or stroking across the spot on the table were based on training muscle memory. It is not a goofy idea but can be done in more then one way. The only fear using something that constrains your arm would be losing the fluidity in your stroke. You want the great last stroke without losing the fluid movement in your stroke that gives you a feel for the game. I would not over do it, but it would undoubtedly work.

Qtec
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
I wouldnt say that it is a technical problem. He made 2nd place so he must have been shooting ok.
I think the fact that it was hill-hill and he had a 'cant miss' ball has more to do with it.

Qtec

stickman
03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
WW, I'd like to have one, but honestly, I can't justify the expense for something that would be so easy to build. I just haven't taken the time to try yet. If you were living on disability income and having to spend $1000 a month on medications, because your hateful wife had canceled your medical insurance, you might think twice before buying something like this. I went without insurance for 4 months the first time, got it reinstated, and she did it again. It's been over 5 months this time. It is going to be reinstated again, but it takes time to have these things worked out with lawyers.

I have to think that you are mistaken about me saying anything about FL's being kicked off AZ. In fact you can search my posts. I have made only one comment in all my time on this board that made any reference to FL, and it was done in a joking manner, and not intended in a mean or nasty way. It was when AZ was having problems. tateuts was joking that FL finally maxed out his harddrive. I was laughing about it as well. Here is the post: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=127890&page =&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Out of all the people that have said things to or about Fast, I can't imagine how you decided to be unhappy with me.

Jim

Popcorn
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
"I think the fact that it was hill-hill and he had a 'cant miss' ball has more to do with it."

You know, maybe and maybe not. When you sit on the sidelines and watch a match you see a lot the player does not seem to remember. Sometimes a player will miss key shot in a hill hill game and blame everything on it. When in fact, the 2 ball he missed in the first game he doesn't even remember, may have contributed more to the loss then the final missed shot that stands out so much. You have to play the whole match with intention, everything matters in the match, even the most seemingly minor shot. You can almost always replay a match you lost in your head and find a shot or two that you throw away that may have made the difference. That is what separates players, those minor mistakes, that even if combined with good play makes you come in second.

Keith Talent
03-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Man, that's got to eat at you. Especially because you didn't get a chance to redeem yourself that night. It's amazing, the kind of shots that get missed (by almost everyone) under pressure, when you think about it.

I did something kind of like that last weekend at a tournament -- TWICE. Fortunately, I got another chance. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the finals, and I was gone before then.

But, when I was on the hill at 6-2 against a higher-rated player, I was looking at an easy out from the 5. But I hit the 7 just a hair too hard, leaving just a little too much of a cut on the 8 ... that left me a tad long on the 9, but it was still straight-in. Maybe I was thinking about how the shot should have been absolutely automatic instead of a tester ... anyway, I bricked it. Then, unbelieveably, my opponent missed the routine shot I'd left him, and left ME a simple cross-table cut, though the cb was on the rail. I didn't even graze the pocket with that shot. He taps it in, then busts in the 9 in the next game.

Suddenly a match that was over at 7-2 was 6-4, and a second later my opponent's on a road map to 6-5. I tried hard NOT to think of how sick I'd feel if I ended up losing the match. Luckily, the pool gods had him scratch when he tried a tough shot after a missed position on the 5 (table had fresh cloth and was superfast), and I ran out, taking extreme care to give myself the simplest, shortest straight-in 9 you could imagine!

A little redemption goes a long way. Hope you get some next week.

stickman
03-23-2004, 05:02 PM
At least it was the last shot. I didn't have to remain playing, and have to try and forget about it, or lose focus while I'm trying not beat myself up over it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
03-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Stick,

And at least you had $200 worth of consolation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me, possible evidence that I don't choke EVERY time, but there was no payout for 5/6th, sadly.

dg-in-centralpa
03-23-2004, 07:31 PM
This happened to me this evening in leagues. I lost three games to people I would normally beat 90 out of 100 games. I scratched 3 times my first game and missed an easy cut on the 8 ball, second game I missed an easy 8 ball, and my third game I ran the table to the last ball before the 8, and missed an easy table length shot. My opponent has all his balls on the table and when he misses, my ball is tied up that I have to kick at everything. I couldn't stay focused. Maybe had to do with getting my taxes done earlier today and seeing how much I have to pay out.

DG - worst night in leagues in 10 years

03-24-2004, 10:25 AM

stickman
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey Stick.. at least you had a chance for 1st place. It's been a long time since I had a 'chance'

Glad you are playing good, at least.

The other day we had a tournament and it was hill-hill. Two buddies were playing for the chance to be in the finals of the one loss side.

The first player scratched and left his buddy BIH on the 7 ball.. and what do you know? his buddy miscued... they both laughed and the 1stplayer got BIH and then he went to shoot and what do you know, he miscued too.

They were laughing very hard and finally the 1st guy just raked the balls off and said.. 'you were suppose to win anyway'

stickman
03-24-2004, 09:43 PM
It's good to be able to laugh about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boalt06
03-25-2004, 01:11 AM
Still, congratulations on getting 2nd.
--Erick

JohnBarton
03-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Assuming you weren't trying to put extreme spin on the ball the fault probably lies with your delivery.

I use a technique that I call double stroking to insure that I am stroking straight and following through. I don't do it all the time but I do use it when the pressure is on.

It goes like this. Every time you take a shot you take one more stroke. If you follwed through correctly then you will be able to automatically pump the cue one more time with ease. If you didn't then you will hesitate to realign before pumpming through and you will see that you didn't stroke through the cueball straight on the first one.

Try some practice with the double stroke. I made this up for me and it seems to help. Probably someone else has discovered it as well so it's likely not new or revolutionary.

The second thing you cna do it to learn to shoot beyond the object ball. What this means is that you get your line and you shoot the cueball to hit a spot past the object ball. Since the OB is in the way it must go if your line is right. I use the rail. Most of us can hit a spot on the rail so I use it and just shoot the cueball to the rail.

Commonly this technique is applied for slong straight in shots - i.e. forget the object ball and shoot the cueball into the corner.

I credit these two things with improving my game by 2-3 balls.

John

stickman
03-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to try it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif