PDA

View Full Version : Good book on investing

TommyT
03-23-2004, 01:07 PM
I just finished a book by Paul B. Farell called THE LAZY PERSON'S GUIDE TO INVESTING. What a great book. To anyone who has ever picked a bad stock or worries about their retirement money get this book. It's premise is very simple to understand and it's an easy read.
It's about investing in no load index funds. And it makes a lot of sense. Read this book, don't worry be happy.

See you at Valley Forge...........TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
03-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Tommy, an even better book is "The Trillionaire Next Door". you could own Valley Forge, if you follow his advice...then again, maybe not

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
I'll probably get your suggested book. I'm so disillusioned with professional money advisers and the such, yet life is winding down quickly so something from my lazy butt is required to get prepared, and the tech sector isn't my savior anymore. Thanks!

Tell you about another tip I read about today, that of retiring in an RV park instead of the customary fixed dwelling. This news story made a bunch of sense for being able to afford to actually retire, and if you weren't happy with the location, then pick another. Sure you sell or lose about all of your lifelong gatherings,,,I think I could handle living that light and carefree. It really was a seemingly delectable and possible end to the current life style of thinking retirement was too darn far down the road or maybe impossible(IMO)...sid

Gayle in MD
03-23-2004, 09:39 PM
LOL, the funny thing I notice about life, especially when it comes to retirment, is how things never work out the way folks think they will. I once heard someone say, "Life is what happens while we're making plans"
My Jim always says he never wants to retire, he loves what he does. I have friends who worked for years and years in a job they hated, only to be bounced out just months before they could have retired with thier pensions, which makes me very very angry, and in fact I think laws should be made to prevent these big concerns from doing this to people after they give thier life to a company.
Invest in yourself, invest in the future of your children, invest in your day to day life, and the comfort of your home, you never know if you'll be around to enjoy the profits that come from the sacrifices you make today for tomorrow.

I wonder, is real estate still the safest investment?
Gayle in MD,