PDA

View Full Version : Help with tight fitting cue....

johngc
03-23-2004, 11:02 PM
I recently cleaned the joint pin and the shaft cavity with some alcohol and cue tip as suggested by a well known cue maker. Since then the fit has been so tight that its hard to take the cue apart. Is there anyway to loosen the fit alittle?? The cue I have is a SouthWest. Any suggestions would be great.

Cueless Joey
03-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Use wax on the pin or get a cue repair man trace that thread or retap the hole.
The wood down there might have expanded.

rocky
03-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Make sure that you have it done by a qualified cue smith. If you are going to and of the trade shows i am sure that Guido or Joe or Leonard will be there and any of them can do it for you.

JPB
03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, your southwest is now useless. No reason to keep it anymore. Send it to me, I'll pay the shipping. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
03-24-2004, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Use wax on the pin or get a cue repair man trace that thread or retap the hole.
The wood down there might have expanded. <hr /></blockquote>
I think wax might actually tighten the fit.
Try a touch of soap on the pin and carefully work it into the shaft.

Troy

ajrack
03-26-2004, 02:51 AM
I have two Kersenbrocks and a couple of Southwests. Dave Kersenbrock told me years ago to simply use a little Vaseline on a Q tip to clean the threads a couple of times a year...has worked well for over 25 years...all cues fit solid and snug.

JimS
03-26-2004, 10:10 AM
I wipe it with a little WD40. I don't spray it on the pin, I spray it on a rag and wipe it on the pin and then thread the shaft onto the pin a few times to spread the oil. Works fine for me on several South West cues I own.

ted harris
04-02-2004, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johngc:</font><hr> I recently cleaned the joint pin and the shaft cavity with some alcohol and cue tip as suggested by a well known cue maker. Since then the fit has been so tight that its hard to take the cue apart. Is there anyway to loosen the fit alittle?? The cue I have is a SouthWest. Any suggestions would be great. <hr /></blockquote>
Use ivory white bar soap. Just rub a little on the pin and screw in. It will be tight the first time, but when you undo it, it will ease up on the next insertion. Repeat as necessary.