PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit accuses Lowe's of hiring bias

PQQLK9
03-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 24, 2004

Lawsuit accuses Lowe's of hiring bias

Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said Wednesday it was suing Lowe's Companies Inc. for discrimination against black job applicants at a Lowe's distribution center.

The EEOC's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Knoxville, accuses the nation's second largest home improvement retailer "with failing to hire a class of qualified African American applicants due to their race."

The complaint says the discrimination occurred between 2002 and 2003 at a 43-employee Lowe's distribution facility in Vonore, about 15 miles south of Knoxville. The center serves more than 139 Lowe's stores in the region.

The EEOC identified Curtis Carter and Tiffany Carter as among the qualified applicants "denied positions ... because of their race."

A Lowe's spokeswoman said the Mooresville, N.C.,-based company had yet to see the lawsuit, but was aware of a news release from the EEOC.

"Lowe's does have a deep commitment to diversity," Lowe's spokeswoman Chris Ahearn said. "We do not discriminate ... Our goal is to have a work force that reflects the community in which we do business."

The EEOC said the lawsuit came after settlement efforts failed. The lawsuit seeks back pay with interest, compensatory damages and punitive damages.

Lowe's operates 950 stores in 45 states and has 153,000 employees. The company reported $30.8 billion in 2003 sales.

The company's shares were down 15 cents to close at $52.74 on the New York Stock Exchange.

ON THE NET

Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com

TomBrooklyn
07-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Lowes just recently opened a store in my area and I just went there a couple of times last week. One of the things that struck me was that every employee I saw was Black. If there were any other races represented, I didn't see them.

My impression at the time and before I saw this thread was that they were probably favoring Blacks in the hiring process. I couldn't prove it though, and I don't care anyway. Despite being the subjected to racism myself from time to time by hatemongering Blacks, I think discrimination ought to be recognized as a personal decision and not regulated by Government.

Even though I tend to get pissed for a while when I get the discriminated against, I just try to avoid those people and surround myself with nice people. The hate mongers will reap the jaundiced rewards of their poisoned attitudes all on their own without any help from me.

TomBk

highsea
07-05-2004, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Despite being subjected to racism from time to time by hatemongering Blacks, I think discrimination ought to be recognized as a personal decision and not regulated by Government. <hr /></blockquote>
I have to confess that this set me back for a second. Tom, you're usually so, umm...well... liberal!

I have to politely disagree with you about the role of Government on the subject of discrimination.

Starting out with freedom of speech and religion (1st amendment),abolition of slavery (13th amendment), equal right to vote (15th amendment), womens sufferage (19th amendment), to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII is about workplace discrimination), the government has always had a role to play in insuring equal rights for all. I would argue that it is one of the primary responsibilities of Gov't.

Sure, everyone has biases. No question about that. I think most people know that, but also understand that it is not really a good thing to discriminate against a group based on race, sex, religion, etc.

By the same token, I am against "reverse" discrimination, such as we see in college admission policies, where minorities are given preference based solely on their status as a minority. I think this takes anti-discrimination laws one step too far. JMO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-CM

sack316
07-06-2004, 08:49 AM
I liked your response highsea.
the lowes around here seems to have a good mix. I used to work for a large retail chain, and at one point "diversity" became a big hot button (I think they must have got in trouble for something). But one thing I noticed is that while they made a point of hiring from all races, the management and upper management (at least in my district) only consisted of one black man. In fact, I got promoted over two others that had been there longer than me and they were monorities. Granted I did deserve it, they were great workers also. So I dunno, just a strange observation I had made while working there.

highsea
07-06-2004, 09:42 AM
It's not uncommon, and when upper management decides on who to move up, there are more considerations than just seniority. Education is a big one, and you may have had an undergrad degree while the others with more seniority did not. Also things like attendance, showing up on time every day, and going out of your way for customers or other employees all factor in to the decision when it comes to who to promote. Even something silly like getting too drunk at the Christmas party can be a career killer within a company.

If all those things are equal, the guys that were passed over in your favor probably felt like they were being shortchanged because they had seniority over you.

The sad truth is that when a company practices race or gender discrimination, it's hurting itself, it's stockholders, it's customers, it's employees, and ultimately it's community.

-CM

Qtec
07-06-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If all those things are equal, the guys that were passed over in your favor probably felt like they were being shortchanged because they had seniority over you.
<hr /></blockquote>
..................or maybe they were discrimnated against?

I think the fact that Sack found it strange is quite relevant.!

Q

sack316
07-06-2004, 04:18 PM
yeah, honestly the two people I spoke of deserved it just as much. I mean, I do bust my hump, and I no doubt earned a promotion on my own. but two other people had as good a track record as mine, plus had been there longer.I also didn't mention they were girls too, and my boss at the time did openly discriminate (well, openly to certain people in his office). But that was my store, still the fact of that in the entire district there was one black man in upper management was odd

TomBrooklyn
07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> I also didn't mention they were girls too<hr /></blockquote>Don't you think that management might prefer to make people managers that won't, after they have been promoted and trained, get pregnant and leave the job to stay home with their children ? TomBk