PDA

View Full Version : Time Away From Pool

bigalerickson
03-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Is there a post about this already? If so, please link it in, I can't search on this chat board for anything other than by usernames and get a successful hit.

Anyway, onto my point/question.

What do all of you see as vertical hobbies with pool. ie: games/hobbies/activities that compliment the game of pool??

I used to play chess pretty regularly, but that game just gets me sucked in too much, mentally that is, constantly replaying moves and matches in my head.

Or, just what else do you enjoy besides pool...

As always thanks for any replies /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alex >taking a couple days off for sanity, and to avoid killing an otherwise respectable roomate /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

dr_billiards
03-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Slot machines and Cherry masters pass my time away. And most of my money too. lol
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
03-25-2004, 04:36 AM
I like wood working, metal working, classic cars, I play the guitar, working in the vegetable garden, my wife and I are vegetarians for some 25 years. I have a lot of interests, there are not enough hours in the day for me. Used to like to travel a lot, but I don't see myself ever leaving the country again the way things are now.

Rich R.
03-25-2004, 05:16 AM
I dabble in photography. Lately, I have been taking a lot of pictures at pool tournaments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am also accumulating wood working tools, for the day when I will have time to use them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gardening with my wife and a few other things, also occupy my time.

9 Ball Girl
03-25-2004, 06:55 AM
I go to the gym and workout for about 2 hours.
I love spending time with my "kids" (2 nephews and 1 neice).
I like to read books.
I like to just veg out on my couch and watch DVDs.
Oh, and I like playing video games.
And I like shopping online at my fav stores: Victoria's Secret, XoXo, Bebe, Old Navy, Steve Madden, etc...

Predator314
03-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Golf!

tateuts
03-25-2004, 11:05 AM
I like creative outlets. I got pretty good at marquetry, which is inlaying wooden pieces to form pictures by hand. I made humidors, and that sort of thing.

I got into recreational bench rest rifle shooting, which is fun too and a great hobby. You can tinker around to improve accuracy and it doesn't take a ton of money to set yourself up with a nice varmint tack-driver. This actually does help your pool game, because you need to concentrate and be dead still while firing the gun, and if you're not you can see those 24X crosshairs wiggling all over the target. Just as there is with cues, there is a lot of artistry in fancy guns too.

There are all kinds of hobbies out there. But if you really want to have a wonderful experience, develop a great loving relationship with a child. There is nothing better than that.

Chris

pooltchr
03-25-2004, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> Golf! <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto!

SpiderMan
03-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Traditionally it's been working on cars, motorcycle riding, shooting sports (mostly handguns, but some rifles, slingshots, etc), plus skiing and diving when the season's right.

Now, with a full-time girlfriend singing in two bands, we spend a lot of time working on stuff for her performances, and I occasionally dream about a ski trip while working on her car. But with a full-time girlfriend I still enjoy riding, shooting, and diving /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
03-25-2004, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
...with a full-time girlfriend I still enjoy...riding, shooting, and diving /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

keep it clean spidey /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigshooter
03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Look for me on my bass boat, I love the water and now that my son is old enough to go its even better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
03-25-2004, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> Golf! <hr /></blockquote>

Tap, Tap, Tap.

Eric.
03-25-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
...with a full-time girlfriend I still enjoy...riding, shooting, and diving /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

keep it clean spidey /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

He was keepin it clean, Gutter Mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;it's only dirty if you do it right

Ralph S.
03-25-2004, 02:19 PM
We need to hook up. I can show you some really cool stuff on them Cherry Masters.

Ralph S.&gt;knows a few special cherry master tricks to beat them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnimalChin
03-25-2004, 04:25 PM
I still (after 15 years) skateboard. While it's a little dangerous, it really works the legs and back, and makes me feel ten years younger than I am. =)

Anything that gets you out into sunshine and fresh air after hours and hours of dark smoky pool rooms has to be good though.

Iowashark
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Depends upon the season.
Golfing and bike riding in the summer, I've been getting into boating and water skiing a bit more.
Snowboarding and bowling in the winter.
And all year long I like the following

Working out
Euchre &lt;----almost as addictive as pool for me
My band (this should probably be at the front of the list as it takes up most of my time.
Poker
Video games

Geez, no wonder my wife hates me...maybe I should put her on this list somewhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooljunkie73
03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Away from the table i play alot of poker. Keeps the mind sharp. Other than that its mostly reading and playing around on the computer.

Kent Mc.

Kato
03-25-2004, 09:22 PM
I like to spend as much time with my nieces as i can. I take my dog for long walks. I'm a sports junkie and with DirecTV you can get as much as you want. I like to watch movies and playing games. Oh yeah, I forgot about my little compulsive reading problem /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~anything to get my mind off of work and relax

ras314
03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
I got into recreational bench rest rifle shooting, which is fun too and a great hobby. You can tinker around to improve accuracy and it doesn't take a ton of money to set yourself up with a nice varmint tack-driver. <hr /></blockquote>
It sure turns into money and time when you try to get competive! I've wasted more time and money with the 1000 yd benchrest game than I want to think about. Matter of fact I've got as much in a 1000 yd heavy gun as in a brand new Diamond Professional table.

Point blank BR shooting is a little more cut and dried but the top shooters can go thru 10 barrels a season. Imagin if pool took 10 cues a year at $500 each. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keith Talent
03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I used to have time for other things. But then we had twins.

Guess I might have time to read a book, take a hike, play some tennis, see a furrin flick, go to the gym, hang out at a local dive ... if I didn't mind playing pool but 5 minutes a week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Time budget's pretty tight, but at least the young'ns like the way I sing along with Tony Bennett.

SpiderMan
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Ras,

Tell us about your gun, and what you've been able to do with it. Got any pictures?

SpiderMan