PDA

View Full Version : Lead in chalk?

armandito
03-26-2004, 03:36 PM
I had read that billiards chalk might contain lead, and therefore be harmful, particularly to children.

I did a search in Google, and this is the first result:
http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/old-wildcats/spring95/February/February27,1995/01_3_m.html

I, however, found other articles both for and against the issue.

Does anybody know anything about this subject. I read that some people state that BD had an article on the subject, but some say it is not true.

I have a 2 yr old, and one more due next month. Right now I only have Brunswick chalk that came with my table.

thanks,
AJ

KevinT
03-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I have some Brunswick chalk, and I don't think it has lead in it since it does not say anywhere that it does. I once bought some cheap chalk from Sears and it has a warning the package that it contains lead. I can't tell you for sure, but I imagine anything containing lead would have a warning label on it.

SPetty
03-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I'm no expert, but I've "heard" that...

Lead was in the older chalk, but since they determined it was a health hazard, they don't use it in the newer chalk. So, in the olden days, it was a hazard, in the current days, it's not.

I have a friend who got real excited when another friend gave her a piece of older chalk. Said it's better because of the lead.

I've read of children with lead poisoning due to munching on pool chalk. But, I believe that was the olden days.

Rod
03-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I have nearly the same article. I still have some of that old green chalk. The old green masters is a darker color. The new green is more of a florescent green. At our room in AZ we had a sign posted that said, please don't eat the chalk. I never had it tested but I'm guessing the old stuff did have lead. If you use a name brand like masters I doubt it contains lead anymore.

Rod

Cueless Joey
03-27-2004, 12:47 PM
No wonder I'm getting dumber every year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif