PDA

View Full Version : Billiard Results In Sport Section of Newspapers

KGeeED
03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Has anyone ever seen a billiard event covered in the newspaper? There will be articles reporting figure skating, bowling, WWF, girls hockey, etc. Why don't these events get any coverage in the sports section? Does someone need to call in and give a report? If so why doesn't the promoter do this?

I have seen articles about some legend dying but nothing on any tournaments.

Maybe with a little exposure like this the networks will take a more serious approach to the game.

Popcorn
03-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I was told by my local paper that nothing ever comes over the wire on pool, it is that simple. The ball is in the court of the promoter to get the information out there. I guess they have to submit it to some wire service or something. Most don't even bother to contact local media. I once did a tournament and everyone I contacted showed interest. We had local paper as well as TV coverage. They also did a few human interest articles on some of the players. It was funny, one paper did a long interview with Miz and ended up printing a story about an executive for IBM that also plays professional pool. Pool needs a publicist who has an in with some of this stuff and knows what he or she is doing. They don't not print it on purpose, they don't know anything about it.

Ralph S.
03-26-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pool needs a publicist who has an in with some of this stuff and knows what he or she is doing. They don't not print it on purpose, they don't know anything about it. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">Aint that the truth!!!!! </font color>

SPetty
03-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi KGeeEd,

I've always wondered the same thing. I never thought that it's because they're being spoon fed their sports stories and that it's "our" fault they're not being shown.

It can't be that hard for the local pool people to call the local stations or newspapers, or email them, with sports stories. If it was that easy, surely they'd be doing it by now.

How does one "get it on the wire" in order to get the attention? It can't be that hard to do that. That superior human Mike over at AZBilliards knows everything that's going on all the time - if he just had the right inside line, the press could get the feed...

Keith Talent
03-27-2004, 07:53 AM
I work at a paper, but not in the sports section, and this makes total sense. If pool's not big enough for them to send somebody to cover -- for sure, it ain't, right now -- then getting the results to the AP would make a big difference.

Sports sections tend to be understaffed ... they send a few bodies out to the local pro, college and high school games, do a few features ... and then fill the rest of their space, helter-skelter, with wire copy. Get pool results coming over the AP, then let the editor know it's there, and you've got a chance.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-29-2004, 10:15 AM
The general consensus of this thread is correct. The newspaper will not seek out pool stories but may report them if notified. Papers are always looking for stories, especially the ones where there is not a whole lot of effort required to seek them out.

The local paper did a feature on the local APA ladies team that finished 5th in Vegas. But only after the captain contacted a reporter and made arangements for her to meet the team and report their story.