PDA

View Full Version : Chumley's - Wha' happened?

Pizza Bob
03-27-2004, 08:39 AM
OK, I did my due diligence and registered at Dr. D's booth. Noted who else was there and settled in for a day of "Pool Sensory Overload", to be followed by an evening of socialization at Chumleys. In the course of the day I renewed acquaintance with Barbara - frazzled with running the tournamnet, but very nice, Fred Agnir - spoke briefly about - what else - plastics (and pool); Hung with Vicki in Mike Capone's booth and that was about it. 8 PM rolls around and I beat feet (and they were by this time) up to Chumley's. Reconnoiter the bar and see no likely candidates. Sit down just outside the entrance to the bar, with my CCB keychain prominently displayed on my cue case. Nada, zilch, nothing. About 5 minutes pass and two guys emerge from Chumley's, lamenting loudly enough for me to hear, "No CCB'ers in there!" To which I used the usual Philly greeting, "Yo!" At any rate, it turned out to be TommyT and Paul Mon. Introduced ourselves - commiserated about the lack of CCB'ers present and decided to POR (press on regardless). They had been to Mika Immomen's new room in Limerick, PA, the night before and invited me along, this night. Off we went. It is an awesome room - just in terms of size and equipment - and was extremely busy. We played some 9-ball (I was overmatched, but they were kind enough not to mention it) and had a great time until around 11:30 or so. TommyT was trying out a new cue he had just purchased - a beauty, but I won't steal his thunder, I'll let him relate the details. So it was far from a total loss - got to meet two more board members, had a great day and a great evening, among new friends, just wish there had been more of us. I'll be back today - again, you'll most likely find me in Capone's booth - stop by.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sid_Vicious
03-27-2004, 09:26 AM
"We played some 9-ball (I was overmatched, but they were kind enough not to mention it)"

I'm really thankful when those I meet are kind enough to do that. It's always a nervous time to play people you've only met in words isn't it...sid

dg-in-centralpa
03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
PizzaBob - I had the same experience as you. I was at Chumley's Thursday night. I got there about 7:45 and waited until 8:20 and no one showed up. So I went in myself and ate. I did meet a few CCB'ers today though.

DG

cueball1950
03-28-2004, 02:46 AM
I just got back from Valley Forge and was looking so forward to finally meeting DG and lo and behold, no DG. left you a note on Dr. D's board. This happened on Saturday. more later on a different post on my trials and tribulations..................................mike

dg-in-centralpa
03-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Mike,
I'm sorry I missed you. I never thought anyone would leave a message for me, so I didn't check. I knew you were there, as several people told me they saw you, but I couldn't find you. Anyway, I hope the trip was worth it for you and I hope you had a good time. Although I'm waiting to here your trials and tribulations. Are you going to the Belmont?

DG - we will meet soon

cueball1950
03-29-2004, 11:58 AM
well first let me start off by saying mapquest is so far off the mark. should have gone with my own instincts and directions first. second i got lost with their directions and their directions turned a 4 hour trip into a 5 1/2 hour trip. my own directions got me home in 4 hours.then i was so tired i did not care that the hotel cost me $100.00 for only 5 hours since it was so late or should i say early.(it was around 4am. and the first person i met was Jeremy Jones at the wawa store.4am and he is at the store buying food.lol. chatted about his win at the open for a few minutes. Hell of a nice guy to take the time. but what the heck, i got to see many of my old ccb buddies. I got to sit and say hi to my favorite TV pair, rich r and his lovely wife cathy, got to pester Dr D..What a woman and memory. I had only met her once before and that was 2 years ago at castle billiards and she remembered me.Thanks DR.D for your help with my storage problem and the coffee mug. got to see my favorite tour director(he no longer does it) joe t. goes by another name on here now. Said hi to Ted Harris and got to send my best to his sick wife. Of course i got to say hi to kato's 2 favorite ladies. Wendy and Carol nyc. carol just got in from her tournament in california. What a hug i got. still feeling it here on monday. to bad she cannot bottle those hugs up and sell them. she would be rich enough to retire. Saw eric and fred agnir. what nicer 2 people you'll ever meet. always pleasant. got 2 hang with tk from fla (Tommy Kennedy) for a few. what a great guy and all around nice guy. met carol nyc's husband again.also got to say hi to Keith McCrady and his great girlfriend Jen. what a great couple they are. And of course last but DEFINATELY not LEAST. What a gal and all around wonderful LADY that BARBARA is. thank you for the nuts sweetheart.
one of my chief complaints was the cost of getting in and seeing the whole thing. (minus the trick shot show) came to $50.00. $10.00 for the expo and $20.00 each for the 2 pro sessions. A little steep i think. But to see All my friends and hang out and say hi it was worth it.
Sorry i missed Gail and DG. that had to be my greatest disappointment of the day. Oh well. our time will come. Also chris cass. i looked for you all day also. everyone told me to check the action tables. i checked all day to no avail. Hope fully we can all get together at the open in Sept. DG,,,the belmont.. that is going to be a tough one to make. i will keep you posted...............mike

Gayle in MD
03-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Wow, I was in there during thet time, and we missed one another. I sure am sorry. After the first time I walked all the way to Chumleys I realized that was a bad idea for a meeting place, but what did I know, anyway, stopped by there every evening while I was there, and sat at the bar each time.

Unfortunately, I had an alergic reaction to something, and I had to head for home early saturday morning, so I missed meeting up with some CCBers. But, I was at Chumleys wednesday thursday and friday.

I think we will have to use cell phones in the future in order to locate one another at events. I'm just too shy to address a bar full of men, LOL. The first night when I walked in there I asked the group if any of them were CCBers, and hell, they all said yes! LOL

There were times when I was sitting at the bar chatting with whom ever was next to me, when I looked around the room and wondered if anyone present was a CCBer.

I am working on an idea for a shoulder pin. I'll get back to you all about it later.

Had a great time though, just wish I could have met more of you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Gayle in MD

Ken
03-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Gayle,
I think we should have met inside the venue at the booth and then walked over if anyone showed. I was there Sat. with the Romanos but we got there a bit late and I didn't recognize anyone in the bar. Of course, why would I recognize anyone since 3/4 of the CCBers that might be there were not known to me? The flaw is that strangers were expected to recognize each other.

Sorry I missed you but I got there around one in the afternoon and I guess you were gone. You're not the only one I failed to locate.
Ken in CT

Gayle in MD
03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Ken,
Wow, I sure am sorry I missed you also. Thursday night, Ed Hagen and I sat at the bar and got smashed together. The next morning I saw him and he was bleary eyed, LOL. He had stayed long after I left. Next time I'll drag him out when I leave.

I think this pin idea will work out pretty well. Want to design something that will be easily recognized, and unisex compatable.

I didn't even get to see Carol or Wendy, having to leave early as I did, what a bummer! Was so glad to meet Fred and Eric and several others, don't want to start a list...LOL.

Going to go to the open in Sept though!!!

Love,
Gayle in Md.

9 Ball Girl
03-31-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Going to go to the open in Sept though!!!<hr /></blockquote>Well then, you'll see me there! That one is much easier to find CCBers as we all hangout at Q-Master Billiards or stay at the same hotel or nearby, and we meet up that Friday for dinner. This year, my dinner is being paid for by my Kato. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy&lt;---never ever forgets a bet! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif