PDA

View Full Version : Crooked or bent joint pin in Viking cue

04-27-2002, 01:57 AM
Fri night I shot pool for the 1st time in about 20 years. I used a Viking cue. I think I purchased it in 1981. When I rolled the cue on the table, it didn't roll smothly. The shaft looks straight and so does the butt. I took the cue apart and rolled the shaft and butt separately. The shaft is straight. The connector pin doesn't look bent. But it turns unevenly when I roll the butt. I think it isn't put in straight. I think I noticed this years ago a couple weeks after I purchased the cue. I was told I must have damaged it and there was no warranty. I was looking on the Viking sight. It says all these parts have a lifetime warranty.

If the warranty doesn't cover this is it worth getting the cue fixed by Viking. I just emailed them. I'm not sure how I would ship it to them safely. Maybe this would cost more then the cue is worth. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Chris Cass
04-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi Eddie,

This is an easy one. Find a cue guy near you and have him look at it. I have a break cue I bought for $15. and it's a Cuetech. It was a 1 piece house cue that was crooked at the joint from the slamming regular fri nite crowd. I and a friend twisted the cue apart.

I heated up the joint pin with a soldering gun and used pliers to get the pin out. I took it to my local cue guy and had a McDermott pin put in. Found a new Cuetech shaft after a while that the butt had been broken at the joint. I took the pin out again and had, my cue guy put a McDermott sleve in it.

Well the sucker rolled crooked at the joint. Both peices were straight? He put the butt on a leathe and put some measuring device on it and a couple of hits with a rubber mallet and voila, it was straight. I asked how much. He said, nothing just don't bring it back.LOLLOLLOL

Regards,

C.C.~~shouldn't be more than $10.

JimS
04-27-2002, 09:26 AM
The post office has boxes that will hold cues very safely. They're triangular shaped and about 36" long. The cue can be wrapped in bubble wrap available from places like Staples or just plain newspaper.

How did your first venture out there in the pool world go?

04-27-2002, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimS:</font><hr> The post office has boxes that will hold cues very safely. They're triangular shaped and about 36" long. The cue can be wrapped in bubble wrap available from places like Staples or just plain newspaper.

How did your first venture out there in the pool world go? <hr></blockquote>

OK I guess. I really played poorly. If I do continue to play, I need to improve almost everything. And I need to learn propper techniques. It was very boring shooting by myself. One older man did approach me after I played about an hour. But in the back of my mind I seemed to remember him also doing that about 20 years ago when I first tried to return to playing pool. He simply asked if I wanted to play some. I was too embarassed to say I didn't want to play for any money. I just said no thank you. I'm just practicing a little by myself.

I don't know if you read my post in the biggest weaknesses thread. Here's something else I left out. While playing I always have tried to rough up my tip so it holds the chalk better. I remember this even when I played in high school over 30 years ago. The tip pik would seem to help for about 15 minutes. It seemed to work a little better then the prikstick. The universal willard/tapper didn't seem to work much at all. Am I just supposed to tap the tip with that? And I tried a manicue scuffer. It seemed like that would take off a lot. So I was sort of affraid to use it much. I guess I don't know how to propperly use all these new toys or gimmicks.

stickman
04-27-2002, 11:29 AM
I have several tools in my cue case, but the only one I use with any frequency is the Tip Pik. I honestly don't use it all that often. I chalk up before every shot, and usually have very few miscues. Most of my miscues are caused by the shooter and not the tip.

WaltVA
04-27-2002, 01:14 PM
With the tapper, don't tap, just try rolling the tip across it with moderate pressure to knurl some indentations into the surface.
If you're chalking with a lot of pressure, or "twirling" your tip into the hole in an old cube of chalk, you can actually polish the tip into a glazed condition. Try chalking lightly, just brushing the chalk over the tip until it's all covered. If you have a decent tip to start with, you shouldn't need to scuff or shape very often at all.
HTH - Walt in VA

Rod
04-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Walt, Ive been doing that for years. People fool around with every contraption known to man to scuff up their tip.
A little knurl job, about 15 seconds and it's done. Not only is it the best way IMO, but the tip lasts so much longer because you don't take any material off of it.
People would take fewer trips to the tip man if they did this one simple thing. Good post Walt.

stickman
04-27-2002, 10:46 PM
If you look at your tip after a miscue, and see that you've shot off the edge of your tip, no amount of chalk, no tip, or tip tapper, tip pik, or shaper will prevent you from miscueing. You've shot too far off center of the cue ball. This is what causes all my miscues. (Trying to do too much with the cue ball) /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

BLACKHEART
04-28-2002, 07:31 PM
If the shaft & butt section both roll straight when seperated, then you are right, the problem is indeed in the joint. Another test is, that when you screw them together, the shaft will wobble as they are screwed together. The screw may not be centered in the butt or the screw may be bent. If you decide to send it off to Viking it will probably cost you $7 to send it & $7 to have it sent back to you. Call viking(1-608-271-5155), & see what they suggest...JER

04-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Viking said they doubt my cue would be fixed free because of it's age. Because of it's age they said to mail it them and I will also be responsible for return postage. And they fix most cues within a 1 1/2 weeks. I might be forced to stop playing pool again in July. I looked on Ebay. All the Viking cues start out at the prices listed in Mueller's catalog. And most final bids are higher. All I was hoping for was to have this fixed quickly and maybe get to play for about 2 months. I don't want to spend more then about $30 or $40. Then if I like it I will probably try to have a Moori tip put on so I can try one. I don't want to use my other cue because it's worth about $2500. And I'm not any good and I don't expect to ever be any good.

From what I read Viking seems to make a decent cue. But it would probably cost me about $150 to $200 for one I would like. I've also read Predator 2 is a good cue. But that would cost about $600 plus extra for linen wrap & a good tip etc. And Joel Hercek bought out Burton Spain, my old cuemaker. But his cues start at $1250. I can't afford these higher priced cues now. And I wouldn't want to spend that much unless I ended up somehow being able to fit a 9' table in my 6' high, dungeon like basement.

Below is a list on Viking dealers in my area. If I went to one of them I would have to pay for sure. But would they just end up sending the cue to Viking anyway? Does anyone know if they would actually fix it themselves correctly? Thanks again.

SEYMOUR'S BILLIARDS
Billiard Room (6 miles away)
8229 S Cottage Grove Ave
Chicago, IL 60619
(773) 488-9935

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRAND BILLIARDS
Billiard Room (10 miles away)
7110 W Grand Ave
Elmwood Park, IL 60707
(773) 237-2966

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHRIS BILLIARDS
Billiard Room (10 miles away)
4637 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60630
(773) 286-4714

CUE TIME BILLIARDS
Billiard Equipment Retailer (10 miles away)
3910 S Harlem Ave
Lyons, IL 60534
(708) 447-5000

CHICAGO BILLIARD CAFE
Pub (10 miles away)
5935 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60634
(773) 545-5102

PRO-TYME CLASSIC BILLIARDS
Pro Shop (13 miles away)
11925 S Cicero Avenue
Alsip, IL 60658
(708) 597-4900

CORNER POCKET BILLIARDS
Billiard Room (15 miles away)
14219 S Chicago Rd
Dolton, IL 60419
(708) 841-2994

FAST BREAK FAMILY BILLIARDS
Billiard Room (15 miles away)
4708 147th St
Midlothian, IL 60445
(708) 371-6967

DIXIE BILLIARD SUPPLY
Billiard Equipment Retailer (17 miles away)
15407 S Cicero Ave
Oak Forest, IL 60452
(708) 687-0144

Q BILLIARDS
Billiard Equipment Retailer (18 miles away)
8109 South Cass Avenue
Darien, IL 60561
(630) 241-0970

WaltVA
04-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Eddie - Try asking around for the name of a good cue repair man in your area, then let him take a look at your cue; might be a relatively cheap and easy quick-fix available. You could call any of the places you listed and ask to speak to their repair man.

Walt in VA

BLACKHEART
04-29-2002, 05:17 PM
Eddie, I live in PERU,IL About 90 miles south of Chicago on route 80. If you want to take a ride down here & I can make the repair without removeing the screw, the charge will probably be under $10...JER