PDA

View Full Version : Late "Bear-Down" Finally Produced

Sid_Vicious
03-28-2004, 12:28 PM
I played a rival yesterday, someone who many times gets me stuck by burning midnight oil after 7-10 hours of battling. My stamina and focus plus the sight of being down multiple sets usually murders my finish for an evening, but this time my goal of getting back even using detailed, "take no shot for granted" and by forgetting about the potential hole I was possibly going to get burried deeper in,,,this time I wrapped up the evening with the guy grumbling, like I'd just stole his cash(which was mine before his early domination.) Frankly speaking, I was as happy as if I'd actually taken some of his cash,,,finishing out under the late night, tiring pressure was very satisfactory to me, a mini milestone if you will. It seems like I've been beating this tired-out phase FOREVER, pressing during the late rounds, and hitting miserable shots in the past, but it worked yesterday. A good day in 9ball-ville for ol' Sid. Something tells me that the advances in one's game sometimes takes a long, long time, and requires both persistence and risking losing, that's why I feel mild gambling improves your game. Hope this will stick the next time...sid~~~been stuck repeatedly getting that 3rd place in tourneys for weeks, maybe that'll change ;-)

Popcorn
03-28-2004, 01:56 PM
It will also have an effect on the guy you played the next time. Making a come back is very satisfying, but it also shows you, you can do it. So many players head for the door too soon and never know what the end may have been if they had stuck it out. That is why managing the money is so important. You hate to have to quit because of the money, at a game you may have won. I am very conservative when it comes to the money, I like to have a pocket full even if I am playing cheap. If you get stuck and feel like you are getting it together, it is nice to have a reserve to fall back on so you can raise the bet. I hear guys say they like to have 10 games in their pocket to start. In my opinion that is not enough. If you get stuck say 7 games, you are on the ropes. Even if you are beginning to feel loose, you are almost out of money and can't raise the bet. It is nothing to get 7 or 8 games stuck, even if you are playing good, sometimes things just happen. I just noticed I always seem to be talking in a by-the-game match. That is how I like to play, I don't play sets if I can help it. I am more of a grinder. Sets also preset a point where the other player can quit or ask for weight, without much loss of face. By the game has no predetermined end to it until one of the players has to quit. The money also enters into it. A guy that would never play a $100. set, may easily lose $150. playing $10. a game.

Sid_Vicious
03-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Popcorn...This may be a dumb question,,,is physical money in the pocket important? This guy and I play lots of times where we both have funds available, but no real physical green stuff in the wallet. Does having raw money instead of a solid trust that each player is good for the debt, a crutial issue? Thanks...sid

Popcorn
03-28-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't know what you mean by, "is good for the debt," I plan on paying cash, either every game or at the end, if that is what we agree to. I would not like playing and have to wait for my winnings sometime later. Even worse would be to start off the next time still on the wire without any money passing hands. It is also bad to ask for credit, it sets you up to not get paid yourself in the future since he did it for you. Even the worst of the worst, is to lose to a guy and pay him knowing you were not going to get paid if you won till who knows when. You know in the bar business, if you let people run tabs or lone them money, at some point you will lose the customer as well as the money. You know, another interesting thing about playing by the game, if you set a payoff point like pay at 5 games. You have again set an easy quit point, sort of like a set. Pay every game and you never have a problem. With strangers it is always the best policy, but make it clear at the beginning. Some guys will just start marking it up like it is some right, like "Don't you trust me"?

Sid_Vicious
03-28-2004, 04:19 PM
What I mean is that we both can produce the cash after the session, and agree to do just that. Tell the truth though, we've both coasted on partial payoffs several times, "I'll catch you next time before we start", and we basically have, we're even-stephen as far as owing each other anything after maybe 5 years of banging against each other. I suppose I was looking for a psychological reason behind you're statement that you want a pocket full of money and thought I'd see if there was one you'd share. I personally enjoy the exchange of getting paid along the way as the day goes on, and yet my SOP many times involves an understanding that pocket money is short, but that we will find that cash when payoff time comes. Sure, we could simply both get real cash first and keep it upright from the start, but many times it's an advantage to both of us to ride on trust before hitting the cash source. One of us will not need it anyway.

I really wondered if the real money being in play was impacting to the art of gambling. Yea, it does sound like a WELL DUH! doesn't it. Thanks for the help, I'm just curious about the nuances inside the gambler's mind who does the money game more than I. I'm afraid I'll always be a recreational type of wagering opponent, much of the reason is that I couldn't assemble that wad most of them yank out of their pockets, much less decide to go the PH and let that be known to many. I'd have sharks trying to feed on me all of the time, and then it wouldn't be a recreation anymore...sid

Popcorn
03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
"I suppose I was looking for a psychological reason behind you're statement that you want a pocket full of money and thought I'd see if there was one you'd share"

It is not psychological, just mathematical, you need enough money to ride out what ever may happen. It is very hard to, if you have been playing and paying as you go along, to run out of money and ask for credit. Especially since if you begin making a comeback, he has to pay you knowing you were out of money. Being out of money usually one of the measurements that determines the winner, it is over, you busted the guy. It is not a never ending story, When you go bust, you have lost the right to keep playing, he doesn't owe you anything. I remember seeing a guy lose about $700. once and being broke. He borrowed a $100. from someone and said, "Come on I will play you some more". His opponent said "no, I'm not letting you shoot that $100. at my bankroll. I will play you one set for the $100. but that is it." Do you think he was right?