PDA

View Full Version : Predator v. The rest

boalt06
03-28-2004, 03:11 PM
My understanding that Predator is the most popular shaft right now, but are there any close competitors? I have seen that there is a Tiger-X shaft, and a American Billiards Co that sells shafts on Ebay. Are any of these--or something else--comparable to Predators shafts.

Thank You--
--Erick

ryushen21
03-29-2004, 04:39 AM
I have played with quite a few shafts. Standard maple, meucci black and red dot, and shafts on various different cues i.e. lucasi, viking, schon, etc. i currently play with a predator and i don't really see myself going to anything else. You just get used it after a while and it makes it almost weird to shoot with a different shaft.

I have yet to try out the Tiger X-Shaft, but hopefully i can find one that i can try out.

I think that the main things is personal preference. Some people like certain kinds of shafts. A lot of players just don't like the cost associated with predator and don't think that it is that much better. The main thing is to try out whatever you can get your hands on and find what suits you best.

As far as comparability, from what i have heard, the
X-shaft is supposedly the closest competitor to the predator. I have heard that it is a bit more stiff when compared but takes away some of the flex that the predator offers. And it seems like i remember reading somewhere that Meucci was claming that the 35 layer black dot shaft tested 60 something percent better than the predator with less deflection. but like i said, i'll still take my predator over anything else.

boalt06
03-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank you very much! Also, you say that you ahve used the black dot, how does rate in deflection?

BLACKHEART
03-29-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't know the latest figures,but a few years ago Mcdermott cue Co. made 60,000 cues,Meucci made 40,000 cues & Viking made 25,000 cues all in the same year. None of them had a Preditor shaft. I would say only a small fraction of cues, have a Preditor shaft...JER

boalt06
03-29-2004, 05:04 PM
In your stats, you left of the figure for my favoarite cues, blackheart! Then again, its Quality not Quantity!
Erick

BLACKHEART
03-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Shucks,You're right, I forgot to mention that guy...JER

ryushen21
03-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I have actually played with both the old 28 layer and the new 35 layer black dots. They both play pretty well, but to me they still have a tendency to deflect more than the predator 314. But the 35 layer definitely feels better than the 28 and is more accurate.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I will admit, that if you think that Predator is the "Most Popular" shaft, this does speak very well for the Sales and marketing departments of Predator.

I, for one, am very glad there are many alternatives to the "most popular shaft"