PDA

View Full Version : MATCHING UP~~the under belly of pool~~

cheesemouse
04-27-2002, 10:24 AM
The dark under belly of pool>>playing for money>>it isn't going to go away so........those of you who do it on a regular bases and enjoy the hell out of it, those who won't play with out it, here's the question: How do you determine if someone is worth playing and how much he/she is worth play for or in other words what is your match-up rap????

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2002, 10:46 AM
When I was "matching up" (many years ago) arguing about spots, what game, rules, and amounts (the posted $) was sometimes more enjoyable thant the match itself.

But, then again, when you played, you played until the loser quit. You were never allowed to quit a winner, unless the loser couldn't post up.

Now, I've seen players quit after wining $50, and just after a few games. Playing all nite and into the next day matches are rare. Maybe only a very few players can do this now.

The kids (players under 30 mostly) can't stay focused on the game more than a few hours, and most of them need chemicals to last that long anyway..

And, the places you have to go to match up aren't that safe even in the day time.

So, why put yourself in that position? Just to win a few bucks?

The longest I ever played was 17 hours. I ran out of money. But most of it was my opponents.

Ralph S.
04-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Cheesemouse, I personally prefer to do my own scouting which can require some time. I also prefer to play against players that are my speed or slightly above my skill level which takes alot of the haggling over spots out of the picture. I will take the weight if given though. Hope this helps.
Ralph S.

Rod
04-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Cheese, When I gambled a lot I knew how the guy played and what his gambling habits were before hand, if he bet enough.
If I didn't know them, I'd just ask to play and throw some numbers out. You can get a fair idea by their reply. In my home town I got to where I could almost tell you how much cash they had before we played. I knew when they were taking a cheap shot at my dough. I dam sure wasn't going to loose $500 to win their 50 or 75 bucks. Put up the money!

cheesemouse
04-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Rod,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I knew when they were taking a cheap shot at my dough.<hr></blockquote>
Probably the most important piece of info in the matching up process is whether this guy is a short shot artist or not, and if he is he will also give you the air barrel. Like you said "post the $$$, honey"