PDA

View Full Version : problems with my technique....again..LOOONG!!

marek
03-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi people!
I have been quite busy these days so I havent made my nationals report as I promised. I have lost my straight pool finals by quite big margin. It wasnt due to the nervosity or my opponent s great game, I was just struggling with my technique and I am still struggling...I have been trying for almost a month to get by this problem but without success. So I ll describe my problem and hopefully some of you will know the answer (are you there Fran? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
Basically I have problem with my stance and/or my grip. As Fran Crimi wrote here in the past my grip is linked together with my stance so probably it may be rather stance problem; but it may be bad preshoot routine as well... My shooting routine is as follows: first I move to the OB-pocket line to find aiming point (I may skip this phase quite often as my comfort zone is rather large-long distance, sharp angles-no problem for me to see aiming point instantly) ; then I move to aiming point-CB line to get proper alignment - my left eye and left foot is on that line (I am lefthander);then I walk into my stance position, usually 2 short steps (left foot first) with my cue in the line with the shot; then I set up for the shot - and there comes the problem: as I start my warm-up stroking moves I can clearly see that my cue isnt going straight so I have really hard time hitting the cue ball the way I really want. The problem is so big that I see double image of the cue while stroking at times!!! Maybe bad head alignment? I have my cue under my left eye..should I have it under my chin? On the other hand I CAN shoot with this technique but its real hard and it takes me lot of energy just to concentrate on shots so it eats from my concentration on positions.
My girlfriend told me that I have my wrist twisted inwards, also my forearm is pointing slightly to my body. So I tried to correct the problem by straighting my forearm and wrist but it felt so unnatural that I couldnt shoot anything with it. I tried to change my weight distribution and it seems that when I move my left foot more sideways (under the cue) and bend my right knee more I get better results but it makes me real low over the table so I couldnt get proper followthrough. Also I tried to get my left shoulder closer to my body, further from my body....and no consistent result..
PLEASE HELP! I am desperate!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1Time
03-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Try getting some hands on instruction and practice. I get the feeling somehow your girlfriend may not be too qualified. Also, you may want to try the following to help develop 2 things: "seeing the shot" and an increased hunger for playing better (without the frustration of playing bad). A lot of times I've found just taking a break from playing pool for a few days and taking in some outdoor activities really helps.

Spread the balls on the table. Assume your normal stance and address, aim and do everything you normally do to "see the shot" all the way up to hitting the CB. Then, back off, move the CB to another random location and repeat this whole process about a dozen times. Now, go sit down and watch some decent players compete for a while, that is, until you "feel" like you really want to get out there and practice shooting the balls in. Then, go practice for 20 to 30 minutes. If you don't see the results you're looking for, stop, take a break and repeat this drill later or on another day.

marek
03-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Well...First of all I thank you for the adviceI really appreciate anyones help...however there are few things to add.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
First I get PLENTY of practice, 3-4 hours a day 5 times a week is quite enough I think... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Second I dont have the problem to see the shot, I know exactly where I want to send CB, the problem is with my technique... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Third I definitelly DONT lack hunger for improvement, some people here can tell! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Fourth my girlfriend is not BCA Master instructor but she can definitelly see when my wrist is twisted inward - and she was not the only one to tell me that.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Fifth I found one part of your advice useful - watching decent players play - but I am not sure who should I watch as for the last two weeks I have been watching best europian players during europian championships which took place here in Prague 100 meters away from my home... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1Time
03-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Your girlfriend is no doubt qualified to help your game; you're very fortunate. However, I said nothing about practicing more. In fact what I suggested was quite different. I suggested you 1) practice differently (the drill), 2) get hands on instruction (other than your girlfriend), and 3) take a few days off from practicing (I suggested this since it seemed obvious you play a lot).

Of course I agree you have some technique issues. However, I'm suggesting you use what I've posted as a framework with which you may try different adjustments to your technique and work through this problem. Notice, I've not suggested any specific technique changes. You're obviously beyond the basics so I'd have to see you play for this to have much of a chance of working.

I thought I read something in your post about double vision and a concentration problem. I still agree with you that a correction in technique would work. Playing/practicing several hours each weak apparently hasn't helped you work through this problem. I suggested a different approach: 1) practice your stance, address, visualization of the shot, 2) watch others play to get new ideas, 3) get to the table for 20 - 30 minutes while your hungry to try something new, 4) take a break when it doesn't work, and 5) take a few days off from playing pool.

The whole idea of the strategy I've suggested is to 1) commit yourself to go at this a little at a time (repeat the drill after taking a break), 2) commit yourself to consider new ways of solving your problem (watching others and getting hands on instruction), 3) commit yourself to taking breaks from working on this, and 4) get away from pool for a few days once in a while.

Don't worry about your wrist being twisted. Your going to try something different one day and it's going to work for you. Just try different things within the framework I've suggested and give it a couple of weeks; don't forget taking a few days off. Try to be "teachable" when you practice this drill, while you're watchin others and while you are being instructed; keep an open mind to trying things a little different.

Being able to watch the best players is certainly a great resource. It's better to watch different players until you find some one or two players that have something in their stroke or game that you would like to have. Then, use the drill if possible to work that into your stroke or game. Then, after you've got that down, of course go back and learn more!

Candyman
03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm not qualified to help solve your problem, but I can understand how you must feel. Several months ago I fell into an awful slump. It was like I had just started playing for the first time. It was so flustrating. Guys and girls that I had been beating regularly, started whipping up on me. I new I possessed the skills of an intermediate player, but something had changed and it was driving me crazy.
After checking many of the fundermentals and coming up empty, I realized my grip had become extremely light. When I made my stroke, I was inadvertently tightening my grip when making contact with the cb and it changed my aim path. It took me a couple of practice sessions of hitting nothing but straight shoots from different distances and using different grip pressures, but I got my confidence back. My stroke is better than it has ever been and my cb control has drasticly improved. My control on draw shots is scaring me to death.
I am sure you will find the problem and it will most likely be something really simple. Good luck to you. Lock /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marek
03-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Thx Candyman for the encouragement! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You are probably right when saying that the problem is something simple...but its really hard to find... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif But I am not the one to give up easily and I hopefully will win this battle! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

marek
03-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi 1Time!
I must apologize to you as I have apparently read your last post wrong (it was 2 am here...I was sleeeeeepy.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) Now I see your suggestion much more clearly! Actually I have been using part of this concept for a while (taking few days off once a month), it was suggestion from "Blackjack" Sapolis and it works fine. The other part of your advice seems very interesting, playing for a while and then just watching others to get new ideas may be very useful, I should try that...the only problem with that is that I am the only decent player in my pool-hall so I ll have to go to other pool hall with good players to watch few times...And the instructor advice? I have scheduled a lesson with the only EPBF-certified instructor here (europian pocketbilliard federation) for next week already...
Marek

P.s.: I am really sorry that I replied in the "denial" fashion first, I have misread your answer due to the sleepiness+I had an arguement with my dad about my tournament performance yesterday (he insisted that I was playing good and that I was getting my good technique again...and I insisted that it wasnt true...and he INSISTED....and I INSISTED....you get the picture /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) so I was rather touchy yesterday...sorry again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

03-29-2004, 11:19 AM

1Time
03-30-2004, 04:33 AM
No problem merek. I hope it works out for you.
1Time

marek
03-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Here I am again and I have good news! I solved my problem!!! I found out that I had weight distribution problem as I havent put my weight equally on both legs. But first step toward success was my attempt to change the angle of my feet. It really surprises me how much does this angle affect the balance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
So once again the world was saved by powerpuff girls.....no no no...its another story... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I AM HAPPY!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

marek
03-30-2004, 05:56 AM
Thx for the advice but I dont believe the gadgets to help me more than proper instruction. If I have spare 175+ bucks I would spend those on certified instructor.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif