PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Ebay Scam?

TheFish
03-28-2004, 09:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=3668588 930

I have been very interested ni this cue. And noticed that the bidding was weird, it kept going up by this one user. ANytime someone bid, it would be bid up again by this user (RoxyFoxy)..so today on a while i checked this users feedback (1) but it has 3 negatives and 4 positives.

At first i thought 2 of the positives were from the same users Ostriki_billairds ,but then i noticed afterwards that one is Ostriki _billiards, the other is Ostriki1.. I clicked on both of them. Both of htem had positive feedbacks, but both of them were NO LONGER REGISTERED and both seemed to have received negative comments near the end of their ebay days, with buyers telling others to beware taht they didnt send product.

I looked at one of the comments that Roxyfoxxy and Ostrick left for each other..isnt this weird. Out of 22 feedbacks this Oscki (sp) guy never makes any comment replies but on RoxyFoxxy he does..and look very clearly at the reply.

"AAAAAA+++++ Understanding Seller, polite!! VERY CREDIBLE BUYER & SELLER "
And Oscki Replies "Glad that you had enjoyed the Szamboti cue, nice doing business with you!!!! "

why in particular does he leave a reply for this user. Just sounds suspcious..

Some thigns to note.

RoxyFoxxy has 3 negative feedbacks out of 7. 2 of the positives are from liekly teh same person who both were no longer registed (probably due to scamming). And both of these Osckis are from singapore, just like this new seller. What would u guys do? I live close in Asia, so i thoguht i would haev just got it shipped and saved money..but not there is 2 issues

1) Does the seller have the cue? and is it in good condition
2) Is this Roxyfoxxy just trying to bid it up, or is it a full on scam?

What u guys think?

Or hsould i just use proficient billiards for an escrow..

dr_billiards
03-29-2004, 12:12 AM
I buy and sell on ebay on a regular basis. My advice to you is DO NOT DO THIS TRANSACTION.
Doc B

tateuts
03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
The bidding on the cue looks legit to me so far.

If the seller agrees to escrow through Proficient - then you're covered. If he doesn't want to do that, or recommends another escrow service, I would decline.

Chris

highsea
03-29-2004, 03:21 AM
I got to go with dr_billiards on this one. just mho, looks phony as hell to me.
-CM

piglit
03-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Good advice above. Take the least risk possible.

-pigi

UWPoolGod
03-29-2004, 09:55 AM
And if nothing else I bet it is the same guy using different handles to raise the price. Savages.

JJHolmquist
03-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Have you considered that RoxyFoxy really wants the cue, and set her maximum bid at 2000 or so? In case you didnt know, Ebay allows you to set a max bid, where if anyone goes over your current bid, your bid is automatically raised to better the challenging bid.

Looks like a solid enough bid history to me, of course I guess you never can be sure.

KGeeED
03-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Roxyfoxy may have placed a proxy bid. The proxy bid is a bid that exceeds the minimun bid at the time. Lets say the price is $1500. and the next bid that can be placed is $1505. You may have a limit on what you will pay for this cue so you place a proxy bid of $1900. This is the most you will pay or bid. After you place your $1900 bid a new bid is registered. It will be between $1505 and $1900. If some one else has a proxy bid placed the bidding will automatically increase to the greater of the two. If I had a proxy bid in of $1650 your bid will go to $1655 and will remain there until some one else places a bid. If any other bid is less than or equal to your bid you will still be the high bidder and your bid will keep increasing until $1900. is reached. If I placed a bid of $1900 you will still win because you placed your bid first. If I had a proxy bid of $2100 when you placed your $1900 bid I would automatically outbid you at $1905. A lot of people get their kicks by placing bids to try to reach the other persons max proxy bid without exceeding it. It is a gamble that can sometimes backfire and leaves them the high bidder.

TheFish
03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys/Girls

I understand the bidding history. His/her maximum was not above the amount. Because for a glorious few hours there was some other person with a higher bid.

I had sent an email to the guy asking him if he can do escrow. His response was "what is escrow", and the email he responded to me from was very strange. The ebay email forwarded to his account, which forwarded to another account, and he replied to me from that account, and that accounts name is Oscki@ XXX.net ....how coincidental..this is the same two oscki (same exact weird word) in the name. These are also the two who had teh warning.....now the real issue is this..it seems apparent teh guys a scammer..but only up to a point...i guess if he will do proficient i am still bidding..he cant scam proficient:D hehehe...

pple in love will do anything.

tateuts
03-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Well, that sure rang a bell. Now I remember him. Look up the feedback for " oscki_billiards "

He had some problems. For sure, escrow only, even if you have to pay 100% of the escrow fees. He's no longer a registered user. He knows who Proficient is. I'm pretty sure he had his cues worked on by Scott before.

Chris

tateuts
03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
I just looked at a Palmer he is selling - it was refinished by Proficient. For sure he knows Scott - I think it's a good bet he would do the escrow through Proficient.

If you can pick up this package for the $2000- $2200 range, it's probably worth the hassle. I know he has had legit transactions - one of my contacts in Europe has done business with him and is in fact a bidder on this package.

Chris

JosefS
03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Looking at all the information here, it sure looks like this guy's pretty crooked. If he sold a few bad cues, got bad feedback, and made a new ebay id to hide his tracks, I would definitely suggest you not do business with this person escrow or not. For all we know, the cue could be stolen or have internal problems Scott might not see. Besides, he may be playing dumb by saying he doesn't know what escrow is. You're probably better off saving your money and finding a Mottey from a legit ebayer or seller. That's just my opinion tho.

tateuts
03-29-2004, 10:27 PM
I would have agree with you, but it sure is a great package.

Chris

TheFish
03-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Tateus - i feel teh same way. The only thingh that can make me not bid is if i see a beautiful capone.

Actually for your information, I am contemplating going to singapore to pick it up if I win the auction (I work for an airline so airfare is free). Does anyone know anyb ody that was scammed by them, i remmeber one of hte names on that lsit was a regular here or on azbilliards....if u guys want i can find out all his info while i am there picking it up.?

Regards,
this is only if i win and dont do the proficient route.

KGeeED
03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I would also call Paul Mottey and ask if he has any info about the cue. I have done this with other cue makers and got some helpful info. One was about a cue that was supposed to be all ivory inlays. The cue makers told me he never used ivory inlays on any of his cues. He told me the price it was originally sold for and told me how much he could build a similar cue for. I ended up buying one from him.

The other time a cuemaker told me that the cue was basically a "second" that he was let a pro use for exposure. The pro knew the that there was a slight "flaw" in the alignment of the points that was not to the standards of workmanship that the cue maker was satisfied with. There was nothing wrong with the cue other that than that. A very good friend of the pro wanted to buy this cue. It was explained to him about the "flaw". The cue was about 20 years old when put on EBay. The seller claimed to be the original owner and the cue was brand new and only had about 20 games on it. The pictures looked like the shafts finished with blue chalk, not a shaft that had 20 games on it.

You might call Mark at Pool Table Magic. He is a world wide trader and might have some good info on this seller.

Good luck. It is a beautiful looking cue and seems to be a good value for a Mottey cue.

Bassmaster
03-31-2004, 02:34 PM
We'll I guess to no suprise RoxyFoxy won the bid...Dont be suprised to see this same cue for sale again.

Popcorn
03-31-2004, 04:28 PM
It gets worse. on march 21 they won th bid on this cue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3667886469

Check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3669461970

TheFish
03-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Bassmaster/Popcorn - yeh, somehow i am not surprised roxyfoxy won. When i emailed the seller if eh would do escrow or let me pick up in singapore, he never replied.

I hate scammers. Luckily at the last second I cancelled my auction snipe (it was bed time for me at closing - first time using it).

I like to win and go to singapore jsut to find this guys personal info and start emailing it out to all the pple he scammed.

TheFish
03-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Wow, hasnt even been 12 hours

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3669928744&category=21 212

"Dubious bidder"

Before i actually found out abotu teh scam, I emailed him specifically about this bidder, and her record. He never replied to me about it. I want to bid 50,000 just to post that he is a huge scammer.

KGeeED
04-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Thank your lucky stars that you did not win this auction. I read where a person in the next city to me sold a Camero on Ebay. The winning bid was $4500. The person from Hong Kong sent a cashiers check for $8500. Said to deduct the $4500 plus any shipping and send the ballance back. The person shipped the car along with a check for a few thousand after the cashiers check cleared. A week later the bank deducted $8500 from their bank account because the cashier check was bogus and the bank said they were not responsible. Can't trust any overseas transactions.

It may help to report this to EBay.

whojoedaddy
04-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Wow that is scary. Is the current winner the same c(l)ueless that's on this board?

justbrake
04-13-2004, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> I buy and sell on ebay on a regular basis. My advice to you is DO NOT DO THIS TRANSACTION.
Doc B <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know exactly whats going on with this guy but he"s bidding on this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3672142 534&amp;rd=1

he's a little scary for me to bid on anything that he sells for sure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

justbrake
04-28-2004, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It gets worse. on march 21 they won th bid on this cue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3667886469

Check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3669461970 <hr /></blockquote>

this is still going on with that palmer cue it has been relisted at least 3 times I asked if he would let scott do a escrow and his reply was =Sure, but are you afraid of credibility reasons? I got 100% feedback , I will sent you the item with tracking number once payment is made, thanks

I still havn't seen a feedback on that mottey cue
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3668588 930

Chris Cass
04-29-2004, 07:06 AM
I ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen in 13 yrs. He had a $4500. Motey cue. This thing looked absolutely amazing. It too had the dyed lizard wrap. This cue was truely an eye catcher. I wish I could have taken a hit with it. Just to see what it hit like. It had ivory inlay with a light brown borderline orange wood and matching color wrap also. Reminded me of the old S.W. light brown.

I had noticed the ring work was exceptional too. The whole cue looked every bit worth the money he said it was worth. This was at Bob and Eydie Romano' tourney. I tell ya, this cue would make a fine collector cue. Can't wait to see it again. Nextime I'll take a pic and post it. Great work for sure.

Regards,

C.C.

highsea
06-24-2004, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It gets worse. on march 21 they won th bid on this cue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3667886469

Check this out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3669461970 <hr /></blockquote>

this is still going on with that palmer cue it has been relisted at least 3 times I asked if he would let scott do a escrow and his reply was =Sure, but are you afraid of credibility reasons? I got 100% feedback , I will sent you the item with tracking number once payment is made, thanks

I still havn't seen a feedback on that mottey cue
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3668588 930<hr /></blockquote>
Looks like RoxyFoxy is back in business.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3684969541&amp;sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&amp;rd=1

I contacted the seller and asked if Escrow was acceptable if I paid the fees, and the response was "I am new to selling cues and am not comfortable with escrow"

-CM