PDA

View Full Version : new cue, how will it look?

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
i ordered a jacoby with 5 points. i wanted the points to be cocobolo, but the forearm is ebony and they said that cocobolo or kingswood wouldnt show up to well against ebony. what do you think will look better tulipwood or cocobolo against my ebony forearm?

Predator314
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Tulipwood will probably look better. I think the Cocobolo will be too dark to see against the ebony.

Personally, I don't think anything beats ivory inlays on a ebony cue.

Barbara
03-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Definitely go with the tulipwood. That is a very nice combo.

Come to think of it, tulipwood and cocobolo would be a nice combo, too.

Barbara

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 04:05 PM
actually, the points will have curly maple veneer. i jst think the tulipwood will be to bright. i was also thinking of snakewood points. the cue will also have a curly maple wrap.

Barbara
03-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Aesthetically, ebony should really be matched with wood in the blond range, or with ivory as Predator314 posted. Mixing black with brown is like wearing black pants with a brown belt and shoes. Yuck.

Tulipwood isn't too bright for ebony. Put the two woods together and take a look.

Barbara

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 04:16 PM
ugh, you guys are killin me, i just dont know what to do.i thought that coc would look good with the maple veneer and an ebony forearm. i reall didnt care for the grain or color of tulip. but i want it all to "jive"

Fred Agnir
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jstrazzante:</font><hr> i ordered a jacoby with 5 points. i wanted the points to be cocobolo, but the forearm is ebony and they said that cocobolo or kingswood wouldnt show up to well against ebony. what do you think will look better tulipwood or cocobolo against my ebony forearm? <hr /></blockquote>I think either they heard you wrong, or you heard them wrong.

Fred

Barbara
03-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey look, it's your cue and if the cuemaker has no problem with making the cue like that, then go for it. But there's a reason why certain cuemakers won't do things you think are cool. Heck, I was turned down for red and green veneers over ebony points. It's called a "Christmas cue" and you will get tired of looking at them after a while.

But seriously, ebony belongs with a blonde wood and ivory or mother-of-pearl inlays. I never appreciated ivory inlays because I thought that ivory is "flat" and has no depth until I saw a loaded Szamboti cue. It was 8 ebony points, birdseye maple forearm, ebony butt, and loads of ivory. What a cue! (Long-Haired Frankie's cue) The ebony and ivory may seem so blasse (sp?), but done tastefully, they really compliment one another. If I ever get the nerve or the want or win the lottery to get another cue, it's either gonna be a cue like that one, or it's going to be a copy of an original Gus Szamboti 8-pointer with veneers over each point. Boy! Do I have some ideas on that cue!! Woohoo!!!

But anyway, get what you want. It's your cue and not anyone else's.

Barbara~~~has a simply elegant/elegantly simple cue...

Barbara

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 05:00 PM
barbara, i didnt mean "your killin me" as to be rude. i meant it as im torn on my choices. i chose the tulipwood. i was just thinking that i can change it before it gets started. there is an ebony forearm with coco points on azbilliards in the main forum. the post is called ebony and coco. the thing with tulip is that ive seen the color as a nive deep tone, then ive seen it really light in color. also, i stopped by the doc's booth at VF and tried some of your nutz, and they were damn good.

Fred Agnir
03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jstrazzante:</font><hr> ugh, you guys are killin me, i just dont know what to do.i thought that coc would look good with the maple veneer and an ebony forearm. i reall didnt care for the grain or color of tulip. but i want it all to "jive" <hr /></blockquote> It will look good. Jacoby already makes a couple of standard cues with coco into Ebony forearms with a light veneer.

Fred

Predator314
03-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Check out the charts here:

http://www.cuesmith.com/main/accessories/inlay_material/index.php

They even have Ebony and Cocobolo right beside each other.

Barbara
03-29-2004, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jstrazzante:</font><hr>also, i stopped by the doc's booth at VF and tried some of your nutz, and they were damn good. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry that I'm spinning your brain about the combo. Whatever you want, you go for it. Like Fred A said, it could look pretty snazzy. It all depends on how busy the grains are in the woods.

And why didn't you stop by to intro yourself? I brought 50 lbs of nuts with me and gave them away like I always do.

I even got 3 Moori tips from a certain Cue Repairman for two bags of nuts!

Barbara~~~fading fast....

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 05:34 PM
it was getting close to closing for the vendors, or i wouldve hunted you down:) i looked at the ccb board and only seen one person on there. dr. d's workbook was sweet. i think i have to order one, i told my g/f about it and she was mad i didnt buy it. i think the curly maple wrap will offset the cue nicely...... i hope

BLACKHEART
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Send me your e-mail address to&lt;blkhrt4@insightbb.com&gt;&amp; I'll e-mail you back some pictures, of an Ebony Q with Tulip points...JER

Kato
03-29-2004, 06:29 PM
I have a cue with an ebony forearm and coco points. It is a very nice combo.

Kato

jstrazzante
03-29-2004, 06:33 PM
kato, you have any pics? i wanted the points to have a nickel veneer, but jacoby doesnt do them. that wouldve been sharp.

tateuts
03-29-2004, 06:33 PM
The combo looks fine. Cocobolo runs a wide range of colors, from almost yellow to orange, red, and brown. The red/orange colors look best against the black. Here's a Coker with the reverse of your colors:

http://www.chalkers.com/id52.htm

Another wood that looks great for points against ebony is Pink Ivory. I have one like that and it's a real eye catcher.

Chris

ryushen21
03-29-2004, 09:15 PM
SHHHHHH! That's what the cue that i am about to order is being made of. That thing is gonna be beautiful.

Jimmy B
03-30-2004, 12:52 AM
It's all about how light or dark the Coco is, also the veneers are huge, a good combo will make or break the cue. It's all about the veneers in a cue with 2 dark woods. I'm not a big ebony fan, but cocobolo has great grain and can make the cue. Good luck and post pics when it's done. I'd go with Ebony-Yellow/Orange/Red-Cocobolo.

JB

BLACKHEART
03-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Something to remember is, that over time the Cocobolo will darken, but the Tulip will stay brighter over the long haul...JER

Fred Agnir
03-30-2004, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jstrazzante:</font><hr> kato, you have any pics? i wanted the points to have a nickel veneer, but jacoby doesnt do them. that wouldve been sharp. <hr /></blockquote>Nickel Veneer? Good luck.

Fred