PDA

View Full Version : Does BCA mean Billiards Cuesport Alliance?

Mr Ingrate
03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Saw this story (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000pressrelease.cfm?id=261) on AZBilliards. Wonder if Mark Griffin realizes he may have bought an empty shell. Mike Howerton reports his interview in the Main Event (http://www.azbilliards.com/).

How do you spell mess? BCA!

SPetty
03-30-2004, 12:12 PM
What the ...??!? I don't get it - something seems fishy here... Looks to me like the BCA sold their old league and now their members are creating a new league - in competition with the league they're selling? Sure hope the new buyer knows about this.

Steve Lipsky
03-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm with you guys.

At the same time, I am not even fully convinced the new BCA (Cuesport Alliance) has anything to do with the old BCA. Does it? The press release does not make that clear at all. I know that Cecil Messer has always had a significant relationship with the old BCA, but that's about it. James Ruder is a familiar name as well, I think.

But I definitely cannot figure out what is going on here.

- Steve

St Paul Gal
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
There's a comprehensive article on MNBilliards.com that explains the situation in its entirety.

SPetty
03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks, SPG. I visited the site yesterday when you posted it, and scanned through it then. I don't remember seeing this part. You covered it well:

Look for "What is the State Associations' perspective on the buy-out?" about 2/3 of the way down...

mnbilliards story (http://www.mnbilliards.com/ae/servlet/visit?path=A1x67x1y1x66x1y1x86x1y1x5f4x1y1x1d51x1x 71)

All that "non-profit" "good for the player" talk, however, is killing me. I don't think it's a secret that our local BCA sanctioned league is quite a profitable venture for the league owner...

I still hope Mark Griffin, prospective buyer of the BCA league, isn't being screwed around...

St Paul Gal
03-30-2004, 05:11 PM
How's life in the South, SPetty? Ready for some more big table 9-Ball?

spg

Ken
03-30-2004, 05:54 PM
I spoke to Mark at VF. He is well aware of everything that is going on. His main purpose in bidding was to prevent the operation from going to someone who would really ruin it. He doesn't need any money but he does feel that there are improvements that can be made which would result in more tournaments and more money for the players.

Mark's goal is to increase the exposure that pool is getting and to get more TV coverage. He's part of a group of former players that have the financial wherewithal to do some good things for pool.
Ken in CT

Sid_Vicious
03-30-2004, 07:45 PM
"He doesn't need any money but..."

I can not grasp this concept. Unless you are Mark Cuban, I've never known anyone who buys into a venture for no expectation of recouping the investment. It sounds fishy to me...sid

Ken
03-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Some people want to see pool grow.

Some people just want to use pool for their own profit.

Is it so hard to understand that? Think about it for a while and you might understand.
Ken in CT

ChrisW
03-31-2004, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr>
Mark's goal is to increase the exposure that pool is getting and to get more TV coverage. He's part of a group of former players that have the financial wherewithal to do some good things for pool.
Ken in CT <hr /></blockquote>

How is buying the BCA rules, Amateur league sanctioning, and a National Amateur Tournament get more exposure and TV airtime?

Who would watch amateurs play pool on TV?

Chris

Fred Agnir
03-31-2004, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChrisW:</font><hr> Who would watch amateurs play pool on TV?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>I would.

Fred

ChrisW
03-31-2004, 09:43 AM
Well that makes two of us, but are we enough to
get a more mainstream audience?

Ken
03-31-2004, 10:09 AM
I don't know if it would be amateur play or perhaps some open tournaments that could be televised. They could do some webcast events without much trouble. Put some significant money into the prize fund and there might be some TV interest in the amateur play.

From what I saw at VF the amateurs run out too easily on those small tables so I don't know how much interest there might be in that.

The challenge table had to go to 10 ball to add some interest in the games. There might be some interest in amateur 8 ball since so many people play it and it is seldom seen played by the pros on TV.

Pool on TV is a tough sell but at least there are some people working to bring it about.
Ken in CT

JohnBarton
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Mark Griffin is probably one the few white knights in this industry. He is a very good pool player, a multi-room owner, an investor in table manufacturing and a superb businessman.

He wants to do things with the BCA league that will improve pool for all involved. He realizes that he may lose some league operators and some players but he thinks that once the deal is done and they see what he brings to the table then they will be back.

The man really doesn't "need" the money. This doesn't mean that he won't run the business to make a profit. Profit fuels growth. Even non-profit organizations need to make more than they spend in order to survive and grow.

After talking with Mark and hearing a bit of his plans I believe that the BCA will finally become a league that could go mainstream USA.

I for one would watch the BCA team finals on TV. I find them to be more exciting than most pro matches with just as much talent.

Whatever happens if players want to go to Las Vegas and play in the big show it will have to be through Mark's BCA league, the VNEA or the APA. I doubt that the State Association Organization can put together the money needed to secure the venue in Las Vegas and Vegas is where it's at.

John