PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn, anybody, cue lathe confusion?????

Pelican
03-30-2004, 04:31 PM
OK, I don't know how to make a cue. Never seen a cue made. What I don't understand from reading a thread about cue lathes - why are we talking about metal lathes. Are not cues made of wood? Please help me cure my stupidity!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BLACKHEART
03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Anybody can take a pocket knife & whittle & sand some wood to look like a pool cue. Cues can be shaped on a WOOD lathe. However the most important thing about making a pool cue, is putting the joint screw exactly, in the middle of the end at the joint. The same has to be done to the joint end of the shaft. The only way to insure this, is to use a lathe where the butt or shaft can be inserted THROUGH the head stock where it can be centered & held perfectly. Then & only then can the drilling & taping of the hole, be done to such precision. There are lathes made JUST for cue building that can do this job. A metal lathe has these same capabilities & is generally more solidly built...JER

Popcorn
03-30-2004, 05:51 PM
We are talking about engine lathes. You can turn what ever you like with an engine lathe, metal, plastic, wood, what ever.. A cue is just the by product of the machining process. It requires the kind of precision you get with an engine lathe, as well as the other machines that are employed to build a cue. Work done on what most call wood lathes for the most part, is done free hand with chisels. It is more of an art form and repeated precision is not at all important to a wood turner. I have several wood lathes and I love doing traditional wood turning. I am a member of a wood turning club and you should see some of the stuff those guys do. You would think it was done on some kind of CNC machine, yet they do it by hand. Wood lathes also come in all sizes. I have a friend that turns pieces of wood 50 lb's or more. He has a lift above the lathe to get the wood into place. The first time I saw him do this it scared the hell out of me. Till he got it roughed out, it felt like the whole room was shaking

Pelican
03-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks fellers. I have a better grasp of what is involved now.