PDA

View Full Version : Pool School

Papasmurf
03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I just returned from Dallas (Cue Tech Pool School). I finished the Advanced course and Randy has invited me back in two weeks for the Expert Course. I have been playing pool for more then 15 years and I am completly in amazment over the things I learned in three days. YOU HAVE TO GO! I learned more in my short period at Pool School then I did in the last five years. If your a graduate of Pool School... How about some praises and feelings on the work they are doing?

Popcorn
03-31-2004, 01:50 AM
"Just wanted to let you guys know that I just returned from Dallas (Cue Tech Pool School). I finished the Advanced course and Randy has invited me back in two weeks for the Expert Course. I have been playing pool for more then 15 years and I am completly in amazment over the things I learned in three days".

I would never knock a pool school, anything anyone does to promote the sport is fine with me, and if they can make a few bucks along the way, good for them. I don't quite understand how it works though. You just finished an advanced course and in two weeks you are invited to take an "Expert course"? What could you have possibly digested in three days, that makes you a candidate for an expert course, (what ever that is), in two weeks? It is not free I am sure. I hung in one of the top action pool rooms in the country for years and it took every bit of that time to learn. You could work for weeks on the slightest nuance trying to perfect it.

I am beginning to wonder if the pool school is more of a money mill? Pool is an acquired skill and far from an over night learning process. I would think you would have to work on what you picked up in the three days for the next three months for it to have any value to you. What happens after the expert course, in two weeks you are now an expert? I am sure you learned a lot in the three days, any time you learn something you did not know before it is exciting. I just think trying to get you to come back so soon sounds a little fishy to me. A good instructor can certainly teach you a lot, things you may not discover on your own and improve the learning curve, but it is far from an overnight process. . You now are still on a little bit of a high from taking the course. You have to let us know in three or six months if any of it stuck or you have made real gains as a result of the course before going out on a limb and telling people to go spend their money. Just my opinion

KGeeED
03-31-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Papasmurf:</font><hr>I finished the Advanced course and Randy has invited me back in two weeks for the Expert Course. <hr /></blockquote>

You must be a fast learner. You are amazed over the things that you learned in three days that you never picked up in 15 years. Seems like a lot of info for three days.

I don't know anything about this school so I don't want to criticize it but I do have some questions for you.

You are being "invited" back for the Expert Course? Was anyone that attended this not invited back for the next course?

What did you have to do to qualify for the Advanced Course? Was there a test after this course to determine if you passed and developed the skills to advance to the next level or was it just based on the fact that you attended the course and were exposed to the principles?

The real test will be if it helped you become a better player. Have you noticed any immediate improvement?

Congratulations on the "invite". After this invite you may be invited back for the next course.

Good Luck

03-31-2004, 10:29 AM

Popcorn
03-31-2004, 11:00 AM
I think without doubt the course would be of value to someone learning to play. It just takes so long to learn stuff and make it a part of your game. It seems in a short course a lot of what they teach will be lost and that is the problem. I play the Guitar and when I was a kid I took private lessons. If I remember right it was like one hour a week in the beginning. He would give me something to do and work with me on it. The next lesson we would review and see how I was coming and correct as well as add more to what I was learning based on my ability to grasp it and willingness to work. From my experience pool, is a similar skill as far as the learning process goes to learning an instrument. It can't be taught in a crash course. The reason a crash course may seem to work is, if you are working with a beginner, they will see immediate improvement. because they are starting from such a low point, any improvement is a success in their mind and they are right. A more advanced player can find a value since they can already play. They can learn game strategies and ways to maybe practice to improve their game and will come away a better player as a result. Something can be gained by most anyone in a crash course, but most of what they try to teach will most likely be lost. A local teacher that you can work with on a steady basis will produce better results. Having said that I would never discourage someone from taking a course. It is kind of expensive and I think would only produce limited results but it could be fun and one will certainly come away with something.

Sid_Vicious
03-31-2004, 02:14 PM
We think a lot alike. That 3-day class should really be spread out between no less than 3 weekends, I'd say to stagger the classes and attend a full Friday, followed with a break of a week to work on new knowledge, then come back for round two on the next Saturday. To expect that someone will grasp a significant portion of the things tossed at them in three long days is unrealistic. If it was me I'd most likely pass on anything costing in the 600 dollar range using this fast paced program, and divy my $600 out to private hourly lessons from master players, say 2 hours followed up after a couple of weeks with 1-2 more. I'd get far greater value(and well cemented tools) from that instead of bunching up with 5 other people in a pool classroom for 3 days...sid

Papasmurf
04-01-2004, 03:36 AM
A lot of you have made comments and I have come to the conclusion that you all are stuck at a certain level in your game and really have no clue how to make a leap in your game. So please follow the GOLDEN RULE in your pool game and BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. It makes it easier for me.

Popcorn
04-01-2004, 03:47 AM
"I learned more in my short period at Pool School then I did in the last five years."

You are not hanging out in the right place. Seriously though, what that has been said do you take exception to? I think most all points made are valid.

RUNaRAK
04-01-2004, 06:50 AM
I must agree with the masses here. I have also been playing for 15+ years and would consider myself an advanced player. I recently took a 3 hour lesson from Scott L. and he gave me more than enough to work on for several months. I feel that much more time would have been a waste because of the problem with retaining that much information.
A 3 day course, IMHO would have been overhwhelming. Maybe for a beginner learning the basics and fundamentals, a 3 day course would be o.k. if there was some written documentation to refresh their memory.. Who knows.. I just could not personally see spending that much time in such a short period! That is my 2 cents.. Papasmurf, Good luck to you!

bluewolf
04-01-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"I learned more in my short period at Pool School then I did in the last five years."

You are not hanging out in the right place. Seriously though, what that has been said do you take exception to? I think most all points made are valid. <hr /></blockquote>

People learn different stuff at that Pool school. When I went, I already had taken a two hour lesson from scott so had a basic stroke which I had practiced ad nauseaum for six weeks before I took randy's class. Also, when I took that first lesson from scott, I could barely hold a cue, so he did teach more than I could absorb so I watched the tape a lot. I watched scott's stroke, etc,, not mine, so that I could emulate his. LOL

Think of all of the players who miss shots because they move their heads. Well I had someone standing over me for 24 hours, 8 hours a day, correcting and making sure I did the freeze. It was so ingrained that I never move my head and I always freeze.I also had that stroke that I learned from scott reinforced. It was a pretty compact stroke which worked well for me. Later on, I loosened up my stroke a bit from a lesson with FL, but it is still the same basic stroke. I learned about tangent lines which is now helping with shape and not scratching. I was exposed to some other advanced techniques that I was not then able to do, but they got stored in my head somewhere so am now learning to do them better.

One thing that helped me a lot too was the extensive work we did on finess or ball speed control. I practiced finess every day for months and it does help my defense a lot and now that I am getting a little better at shape, it is now helping that too.

They had a bunch of different drills too. Beginning students went through these slower than the better players, and better players were given more advanced ones to work on. So it was tailored to a person's proficiency to a degree.

The student teacher ratio was also very low. he had teaching assistants and during the drills, which was about 80% of the time, was often one on one and sometimes one on two ratio. We did learn a few physics principles as they relate to pool, also. Lots more.

Laura

littleCajun
04-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Hello All,
I am a BCA Instructor and I also teach some at Randy's Cue-Tech pool school. I would just like to make clear what the pool school is about.

The school teaches a consistent repeatable stroke, that has built in diagnostic tools to help you determine what went wrong during the stroke. Set-Pause-Finish-Freeze or SPF.

The school is also about promoting the sport. As an instructor, I am considered to be an ambassador of the sport.

The school offers 3 courses. Beginner, Advanced, and Expert.

The Advanced course is what most people take. The beginner course is just that. It's an introduction to the game and starts the student on developing an SPF course.

The Advanced course is what the pros come and take also.
Pros such as: Karen Corr, Allison Fisher, Julie Kelley, Gerda Hofstatter, and Vivian Villarreal.

Actually I just taught in a class where one of the students was sent to us by Vivan.

The instructors at the school know just as well as anyone that it takes time to learn new skills. We even warn our students that they may not see an improvement at first, and that they actually may see a decline in performance for about 1 to 3 months. This is because you will be thinking more about how you are performing and using the new skill you acquired rather than playing.

The school is not a "money mill", we do not rush students thru to get them to the next course. We also offer a Free refresher course. This means they may come back thru the course for Free. We suggest that they come back for there refresher course 6 months to a year later.

We do get advanced players, such as the pros , and If an expert course is not far away, Randy "may" offer them to come to the class. This offer is not handed out to every one, right after they take the advanced course. It is on a student by student basis.

I hope this clears up what the CUE-TECH school is about.

HOWARD
04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Papasmurf,

I think you may have to give us a little room on your
testimonal. It is not that it is not true, but I think
the people who are questioning your testimonal have been
burnt a few times.

I am not saying the school isn't pretty. I am just saying
for myself coming from a pool background I take things with
a grain of salt.

The school maybe the best thing in the world. I can not say
but I can say I have seen the testimonals before, and I have
been burnt.

Howard

pooltchr
04-05-2004, 09:12 AM
O-K, I guess I need to toss in my .02 here as well. I went to Randy's school to get into the BCA instructor program. At the time, I had been playing pool off and on for many years. The time I spent with Randy and Doc learning the program and how to teach it was incredible. Yes, there is a LOT of information packed into those few days. All of which is included in the workbook students get. The workbook has drills that will help the student continue to improve after they leave the class.

I was amazed at how much I learned about my own game. The time spent assisting them teach the course made me focus on the same things any student will be learning. As a result, following about a two week period where my game did drop off, I would have to say it jumped about 2 levels, and continues to improve.

One thing most BCA instructors will tell you...we don't teach people how to play pool. Rather we teach them how to LEARN to play pool. Pool school is like a buffett...everything is there for the taking. What you take and what you choose to do with it is up to the individual student. If you want to improve, are not looking for a magic fix to your game, and are willing to put in the practice, then the knowledge and skills you get from the program will give you the tools you need to take your game to whatever level you are willing to work for.

Steve

randyg
04-05-2004, 02:36 PM
AHMEN!!!!!....randyg

bluewolf
04-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi Randy,

The better I get, the more I remember stuff from pool school. It is like I will start doing something and not know how I know and then get that AHHAH, oh yeah I got that from pool school. LOL

Just do not know why some people knock something that they have not tried. Kind of silly, IMO.

Laura