PDA

View Full Version : too late for golf?

04-28-2002, 12:07 AM
i know this ain't pool related but what the heck.

i'm almost 55 years old and i've never played golf. i'm being encouraged to take it up. izzit too late to be any good?

dan

Rod
04-28-2002, 12:29 AM
How long do you have Dan? LOL It's never to late but I would suggest you be in decent physical condition. Why don't you go out and hit some balls a few times? Maby get a lesson in there also. A driving range will lend or rent you some clubs. I'd do that first before I did anything else. Thats how I fell in love with the game, trying to hit that dam ball better. As I got older the course got longer! Who knows you might like it, whether you get very good or not.
Most pool players are not very good, but they still like to play. When you say any good, how good do you mean? Most golfers don't break a hundred.

Chris Cass
04-28-2002, 01:35 AM
Dan,

I too don't or haven't golf'd yet. I think from all the guys I know that do golf. That it's not to far away from pool. The stroke is what you know about already so, I'm thinking you could adapt quickly. The only thing is knowing about how far these different drivers will get the ball to go. Plus you have to get some costly equipment or rent it. I would start at the driving range first. But then again I'm clueless.

Regards,

C.C.~~the cheese know's.......

04-28-2002, 01:46 AM
well, funny y'all should mention cost 'cause that's way up there on my intrerest scale. what should i budget for equipment and frequent shooting time?

and, as to how good is 'good' damn if i know. good enough to start all the way at the bottom of the food-chain and expect to work myself up some?

dan

Rod
04-28-2002, 02:16 AM
Dan, your best bet is to call the local courses. It varies everywhere. Out here in the summer it is cheap, of course it's hotter than hell. To get on a decent course here in the winter about $40 not including anything else. It can go well over a hundred though. The executive courses ( short courses) are reasonable as long as it's not part of an expensive hotel or something. You can buy a good set of knock off clubs and bag for under $500. They can be bought for less. Even Kmart sells golf clubs! Look in the sports section of your newspaper, or check out the clubs and courses on line. I can hear you now, FOUR!!! You can ask your friend where to look. whack, whack, now where did that darn ball go!

Rod
04-28-2002, 02:26 AM
BTW the club makers will fit clubs for your body type. The loft and lie, shaft flex, grip size, swing weight, and over all weight. I like to think of this as a beginner playing pool. How much should one invest the first time?

Rich R.
04-28-2002, 07:03 AM
I golfed a little, many years ago when I was young, but not since. It was fun and I have thought several times about returning to it.
Now that I am in the second half century of life, let me compare golf to pool and make a choice.

Golf -- outside, sun, wind, rain, hot, cold, wet.

Pool -- inside, no sun, no wind, no rain, heat and air conditioning as needed.

Hmmmmmmmmm, I choose pool. LMAO.
Rich R.~~~seems like a no brainer to me.

JimS
04-28-2002, 07:45 AM
No question you could become a decent golfer IF you are willing to spend a lot of time on it. I couldn't do just a little golf. I had to be on the practice range 2 or 3 hours a day because it's no fun to play golf unless you have a pretty good idea where the ball is going to go and the only way that happens is practice. I didn't go one day and then missed the next day and it's been 6 years now.

If you decide to do it GET LESSONS! The golf swing is much more complicated than the pool stroke and imo lessons are imperative in order to have the most fun and do well.

The investment in $$$$ and time will be substantial if you expect to improve. It's fun, but I'm glad I'm out of it. It just took up too much time and then, just about the time I was getting to play well (high 70's on the municipal course) winter would set in and then in the spring I'd have to start over.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2002, 09:22 AM
HDJ,
I played golf for almost 15 years.. broke my elbow in Dec 2000 and haven't played since.

When I was playing I had a bout a 16 handicap.. I was shooting one over par on 16 holes and par on the other two.

If you are serious about taking up the game.. find a golf pro and get some lessons and spend time at a practice range. Find out about your ability from the Pro and see if you want to invest in this expensive game.

Good luck

Clubs.. good ones can cost you about $400-$500
a dozen golf balls can cost up to $30 retail.
18 holes with out cart anywhere from $30 to $50
18 holes with cart, an extra $25 to $40

Some really nice Texas golf courses can cost up to $125 per day. with unlimited rounds.

cheesemouse
04-28-2002, 09:24 AM
houstondan,
I see lots of guys take the game up at your age or even later. The game can be enjoyed at many levels. If those encouraging you are the same guys you will be playing with and you enjoy their company by all means give it a go. I would suggest that you ask one or more of these guys to put together a set of clubs for you to use while your seeing if you'll take up the game; all golfers have garages full of extra clubs and bags. Rod, suggested you hit balls on a range first and you can't get any better advice than that. Pool/Golf are similar in many ways and equally frustrating(golf is more demanding in the ball striking department) but both are games for life. If your willing to laugh at yourself and you have some good buddys to play with you can bet on a good time. Do your buddys and yourself a favor though and hit a few buckets of balls on a driving range before playing on a real golf course. Standing out in the middle of a field with a stick and continuely hitting nothing but air while people wait on you is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-28-2002, 09:58 AM
Tom! I'm impressed! I didn't know you played. We'll have to play a round (not 'around') sometime.

I started playing when I was 14. My father bought me a set of starter clubs, took me to the first tee (on a Sunday morning, no less, with about a thousand people waiting to tee off) and said, "Just hit the ball." Yikes. After about 10 whiffs, he said..."Just pick it up and throw it." I felt sorry for the people behind us that day.

I got even with him years later when we played pool. I got to say "Just hit the ball, Dad." Heh heh.

Anyway, it's good to remember that golf instructors are like any instructor. Some are good and some are not so good...and they're not always right. It's better to find one by reputation than to look in the yellow pages.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
04-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Too Late Fran.. I gave my clubs to my youngest boy.. (shoots in the mid 90s) and I haven't played since the summer of 2000.. and don't ever plan to play again.. my left elbow prevents me taking a full or even partial swing except with the putter..

Loved the game.. and had a low round of 82 a couple of times. I mostly shot in the mid to high 80s.. once had a round of 37 on the front nine.. I won't talk about the back nine.. LOL

MikeM
04-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Dan,

I'm in the same boat. I'm not quite as advanced in age as you (I jut turned 39), but all of my friends and co-workers play golf. They have been trying to lure me out of the pool hall and off of the softball field for years. I have resisted because I am far too competitive to play a game and not be good at it and I have enough expensive hobbies already.

I finally played my first round (nine holes)of golf last week. A few coworkers on a Florida business trip talked me into tagging along. The first two holes I did OK. Drove the par 4 a little right, flew the green and three putted for a six. The second hole - par 3 - I drove a nine iron perfectly straight at the flag. If it had been an eight iron I would have been all over it. Missed the birdie by inches and settled for par. After that things got condsiderably worse. Slice, slice, slice. The balls kept going further and further right. I lost at least 15 of my friends golf balls in the water. I hit on the range for about a half hour aftewards with some instruction and did not get much better.

All of this long-winded story is just to say that it is probably never too late to start but expect frustration and to spend a lot of time and money to become proficient. I will probably take some lessons so that I can play without being a hazard to humans and wildlife (on the right side of the fairway!), but I know I'll never be able to be good at both pool and golf. Not enough time.

MM

stickman
04-28-2002, 11:34 AM
HDJ, Heck no, you're not too old. I started at 48 and just was getting good enough to drive a ball straight down the fairway most of the time, when I got sick. I haven't played since, but hope to get back. You don't have to be the greatest to have fun and enjoy the game. Even when I first started, there would be one or two great shots during a round that would be inspiration enough to keep me going. If you keep your expectations realistic, you'll really enjoy the game.

Barbara
04-28-2002, 03:17 PM
dan,

I say, Go For It!!

When I was a little girl, my father wanted me to take up the nice sports like, golf or bridge. I first tried my hand with golf when I was twelve. I took a couple lessons with the club pro at Whitemarsh Valley Country Club - Sam Penecale. And then my father thought it would be real cute to send me and my 4-years younger brother out to fair the front nine. On the first tee in front of Sam and everyone else, I teed off, conjuring up memories of the pro golfers that used to play there at the IVB Classic. That was probably the roots of my (now) anxiety disorder (LOL!). I didn't hit the fairway. My brother did and I was p-o'd. After all, I was older and stronger than him. Then we hit the "Longfellow" hole, as it was called. Six hundred-plus yards of agony. I think I had a 12 or a 14 on that hole. It was all downhill from there. Three hours and 75 strokes later, I didn't want anything to do with golf. My little brother beat me by 3 strokes and that just fed my father's joy for the next week.

My mom tried to smooth things over and took me to a par-3 course which I had a good time at, but I was still mad that my little brother had beat me and really lost interest in the sport.

Many years later I was vacationing during winter break at Casa De Campo in the Dominican Republic with my family and lots of golfers from the CC. Sam was there with his wife, Phoebe. I got to talking to him and thought that I'd give golf another try. Unfortunately, before the summer came, Sam had a heart attack and died. God rest his soul, he was a great teacher and I surprise my friends with my swing even after all these years. I have another brother who is a single handicap and could be a scratch golfer if he had the time for it - he learned from Sam, too.

This year, my department's having a "Hack and Yack" at one of the local public CC's. I think I'll join them. Hopefully it's a "better ball" format! LOL!

Moral of this story is, find a Pro and take lessons. I remember a certain article from a certain pool pro we both know that talked about her golf game. Great article. It pays to take up the sport with proper guidance. Sorry for the long post.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Barbara~~~can still swing after all these years...

Doctor_D
04-28-2002, 03:38 PM
Good afternoon Houston:

It is NEVER too late to try something new. Go for it, you never know where it will take you.

Dr. D.

04-28-2002, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> dan,

I say, Go For It!!

Moral of this story is, find a Pro and take lessons. It pays to take up the sport with proper guidance. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Barbara~~~can still swing after all these years... <hr></blockquote>

great stories barbara. and great advice too. one of the things pushing me toward golf is the fact that my landlord is a pro at a nearby course and he'll help me out of remorse for how much he charges in rent.

thanks everybody for the advice.

dan