PDA

View Full Version : J&J jump-break cue

stickman
04-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Who uses one? What are your impressions? I'm primarily interested in a break cue, but might use the jumper ocassionally. I had a great jumper, the Stealth, but sold it because I seldom ever used it. I could use a break cue a lot.

Thanks, Jim

UTAddb
04-02-2004, 08:30 PM
stick- My friend has one that I hit with and I wasn't too impressed. It has a hard tip but it's not phenolic tip. I didn't like how it breaked, but I don't think I've jumped with it before. However, my lucasi jumper is awesome, have you looked into their j/b? Haven't hit with that one. I would reccommend that or a straight up break cue.

Brent
04-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Hi. I have one..the JJ j/b , but Im probably not the right person to describe how it jumps or breaks due to the fact that I have never even tried other jump-breakers /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif so for me the JJ is pretty good compared to the usual housecue I used for all-sorts of jumps and breaks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

crawdaddio
04-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I bought one....used it about five times, and now it sits at home. Mediocre at best. I would recommend a separate jump cue and break cue. I now use a lucasi jump cue(awesome) and break with an olivier S/P (awesome as well).Never used a j/b combo cue that worked well for both.....but I also have never tried the sledgehammer or grey ghost, so take it for what its worth.
HTH,
David
P.S. please don't buy a J&J~~you'll hate yourself in the morning /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

stickman
04-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd like to have a combo, but I'm mostly interested in the break. I wonder about the Lucasi j/b? I hear good things about their straight jumper.

crawdaddio
04-03-2004, 11:16 AM
I've tried the jucasi j/b and it breaks pretty well, but doesn't jump all that hot.
peace
David

Harold Acosta
04-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I believe that for a jump/break cue to perform well, it must have a 14mm tip, not a 13mm as all of them have. I have not seen any of those J/B cue with the 14mm specifications; and that is why I believe they do not perform well.

It seems that someone out there is missing on the next big thing on the market when only a slight change is necessary...

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Jimmy B
04-04-2004, 03:10 AM
I've owned or tried most jump cues IMO the Bunjee or Stealth jump the best, but like you I don't jump often so don't carry one. As a combo I'd say the Sledgehammer is the best, it's the best break cue with the predator coming in a close second, but it also doubles as a jump cue and it jumps pretty good. So if you wanted to get one that broke great and was OK for jumps the Sledge is the way to go IMO.

JB

RedHell
04-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey Stickman,

I have one and use it everyday... For breaking it does the job pretty well. For jumping, it sure isn't the performance of a dedicated jumper, but it performs enough for me to clear a full ball 2 ball away.

I don't know what the tip is made of, but I believe it is phenolic. If it's not, it sure is as hard.

After getting mine, most of my friends tried it and asked me to order some for them. I ended up buying 6 so far...

For about 50$US you can't really go wrong. I never tried a sledgehammer, but until I can afford better, the JJ is perfect for me.

stickman
04-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I think I might try one. The sledgehammer sounds like the ticket, but I don't think I can afford the price. If it turns out to be a mistake, at least it won't be a costly mistake, and I'm sure I can resell it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the replies.

Predator314
04-04-2004, 11:51 PM
I think for the price, they are pretty good. It's just hard to control the cue ball breaking with a phenolic tip. You can sure as heck smash the balls with them though.

Jimmy B
04-05-2004, 02:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> It's just hard to control the cue ball breaking with a phenolic tip. <hr /></blockquote>

I disagree, have you used one for any length of time to make this claim?? I just picked up the Sledgehammer last week at VF. Tonight I practiced my break, out of 75 breaks I made a ball 53 times, the 9 3 times, and only scratched 2 times. One of the scratches was popping the q-ball off the table. I didn't have 1 miscue and I was able to use a tip of top or bottom on the breaks, I moved the Q-ball around, making more balls from the corners. One thing I thought was odd was that I only made multiple balls (more then 1) 4 times, to me that seems like a low number?? Maybe I was giving myself bad racks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think my percentage would have been even higher if I broke from the same spot every time, but I was charting it to see changes.

JB

Perk
04-05-2004, 06:14 AM
Awhile back I was going to purchase a J/B cue. I had it narrowed down to getting the Lucasi J/B or the Sledgehammer. Instead, I bought a wall rack for my room. Made the wife happy.

Anyways, A friend of mines father purchased the Lucasi J/B. They were very disappointed with the jump portion, and wanted to sell it. Since I was looking at that cue, I went over to his house to try it. The break was weak, and it was damn near impossible to jump. Looked at the tip, and it looked like a shooting tip such as a LePro. Well, I left his house very unimpressed, and decided I would wait till I could afford the Sledge.

Well, the guy sold his cue to his son, who put a Bunjee jump tip on it. Now they are all about this cue. So I tried it again at a tourney. The Lucasi J/B with a bunjee tip on it breaks the balls quite well, and it now jumps really good. With only a few attempts, I was now able to jump accurately, and am now impressed. I am now going to purchase one, and save over 50% compared to the Sledgehammer.

IMO, it is a very good J/B cue.

As far as this thread goes concerning the J/J jump break, if it is struggling to jump, you might consider putting a Bunjee tip ($20.00 or so) on it. IMO

stickman
04-05-2004, 08:00 AM
I've thought the same thing.

stickman
04-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the info. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Singlemalt
04-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, I understand some of the negative comments on the J&amp;J, but considering the price $, not exactly terrible.