PDA

View Full Version : Stretching exercises for pool

bluewolf
04-04-2004, 08:20 AM
We have been talking about this with our chiropractor. He plays pool ocassionally with a friend and has noticed that his back hurts the next day. WW has a similar problem. Now, when I get low on the ball, I bend more at the knees, which I can do because my knees are not bad, where some bend at the hips. My chiro has bad knees from past sports, so cannot bend at the knees the way I do.

Here is what I think.

1)Those with a traditional, upright stance put stress on their low and mid back.

2) Those with a low stance who bend at the hips put almost all of the stress in their low back and some in their neck also.

3) Those like me, who bend more in the knees are putting it more into their knees.

4) Those who are low also have more stress in the neck than those who have a higher stance.

My chiropracter brought this up because he wants to come up with excercises which will help his pool playing patients.

I read in 'The pro book' the importance of stetching before playing. I know there are people here who use low and higher stances and if you have come up with exercises or stretching which have helped you, I would love to know which ones you are doing, not only for myself but so that my Chiro, who is a very fine person, can help his patients. If you know chiros, they give out sheets of exercises to their patients at no charge, so it is not a money making thing at all.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

1Time
04-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Before I get to the pool hall, I stretch my arms and shoulders while sitting in a chair. Then after I've warmed up playing for maybe 20 minutes, I stand close to and face the table, grab a rail with both hands, do a squat like a baseball catcher, stay there a few seconds then as I slowly stand up I arc my back to stretch it out a bit. I usually repeat this after playing more than 1.5 hours.

Frank_Glenn
04-04-2004, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> Before I get to the pool hall, I stretch my arms and shoulders while sitting in a chair. Then after I've warmed up playing for maybe 20 minutes, I stand close to and face the table, grab a rail with both hands, do a squat like a baseball catcher, stay there a few seconds then as I slowly stand up I arc my back to stretch it out a bit. I usually repeat this after playing more than 1.5 hours. <hr /></blockquote>

I do the squat thing, too. I also like to take the stick and holding it with both hands, stretch it over my head and behind my back and then bring it back in front. How far apart your hands are on the stick will determine how much stretch you get. If you don't like doing this with your expensive cue, use a house cue. I do this several times until I feel like I'm loosened up. Then I try to let my opponent get some squats in (racking).