PDA

View Full Version : Should teens be allowed to play pro sports?

KevinT
04-04-2004, 09:11 PM
CNN.com recently conducted a poll on this, I believe the outcome was somewhere around 60% against, 40% for. Just curious as to how others feel about this. I believe anyone should be allowed to go as far as their ability can take them, regardless of age.

highsea
04-05-2004, 02:29 PM
I agree with you, Kevin, with a couple of caveats.

First,that the individual is not put at a health risk due to a not fully developed body. Second, their education should not take a backseat to their sport.

To me it is no different than a teen having an acting career. It's fine as long as their education is provided for in the process.

Some sports (womens gymnastics comes to mind) are almost the exclusive domain of teens.

-CM

dg-in-centralpa
04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree with highsea. I don't think teens are emotionally and mentally ready for pro sports. No offense to pro pool players who are in their teens.

DG - jmho

woody_968
04-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I think they should be allowed to play, and to some degree would question the importance of their continued education. If someone is "book smart" we dont hold them back because they are not good at sports. So why should someone that has great tallent in sports not be allowed to do what they are good at just because they dont score well on a science test?

Im not saying that education is not important, I think it is incredible the conversations you hear while some of the pro's are being interviewed. But sometimes I wonder how important it is for them to go to school when they can go to the NBA (or other sport) and make more on their first contract than many people will make in their intire lives.

JMO

ChrisW
04-06-2004, 01:42 PM
So what happens if he gets his first contract, buys all of his toys, cars, house, planes, girls. Still has enough cash to survive until his contract is up.
Then blows a knee never to play pro ball again and spends the rest of his savings on medical bills and rehab.
Now he is broke, no education and unemployed because he needs a high school diploma to work at Burger king.

What does he do now?
A. Commentary, if he has built up his reputation to superstar status.
B. Coach, If he can show kids what he used to be able to do.
C. Spokesperson, Preaching to kids on the importance of a quality education.

Chris... Wish I was good enough at any sport to forget my education.

woody_968
04-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I agree with what you are saying Chris, that is a problem many of the pros have had. But who is to say that if they didnt play sports they would have completed college or high school anyway? I am just saying they shouldnt be stopped from playing sports just because they dont have a college edjucation.

Iowashark
04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
I'm going to have to disagree, to a point. If it's a full contact sport then no they should not be able to play at a professional level until their bodies are prepared.

But if teens were not allowed to play professional sports it would've taken me way too long to figure out who Anna Kournakova is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ChrisW
04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Woody,
I guess I was focusing on high school. I don't feel teens need a college education to play pro sports.
But I strongly feel they need a high school diploma or at the least a GED that they earned not bought. Now if a pro team wanted a teen who hadn't finished high school I would not be against the teen doing both as long as the pro team would stop the teen from playing if their studies stopped.
I just don't see a way of controlling that type of situation.

On another note, I wish I could be happier with the image that many pro sports players portray. They are highly paid role-models that should act professionally.

Chris

eg8r
04-07-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they should be allowed to play, and to some degree would question the importance of their continued education. If someone is "book smart" we dont hold them back because they are not good at sports. So why should someone that has great tallent in sports not be allowed to do what they are good at just because they dont score well on a science test?
<hr /></blockquote> Why would you question education? If the athlete gets hurt and can never play the game again, then they at least still have their education to fall back on.

I certainly think teens should be allowed to play pro sports as long as they follow the law as far as education is concerned. If they are still taking classes and making passing grades (however that does not seem to matter to the schools these days as long as their ego and self-esteem are not diminished) they should be allowed to play.

eg8r

woody_968
04-07-2004, 12:00 PM
I am not saying education is not improtant. And yes it is good to have that to fall back on. But you can go the other direction and say what if they didnt sign the contract and while getting their education they were injured in a way that they could no longer play the sport and miss out on any playing contracts. Im just saying if it was me I would take the money and play the game I loved as long as I could. If at some point I could no longer play and felt that I needed schooling to make the money I needed then I would go to school at that point.

And I agree with you that I wish many of the "role models" out there at least new how to form a proper sentence (not that I can but I am not a role model /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) But we must keep in mind that many of the pro's come from backgrounds of which many of us simply can not relate.

eg8r
04-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I agree with your post, as it is quite a big decision to make (skip college), it is made easier when the dollars are floating out in front of their hands. I am willing to bet, if I was ever in that situation, I too, would probably go for the money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif [ QUOTE ]
And I agree with you that I wish many of the "role models" out there at least new how to form a proper sentence (not that I can but I am not a role model ) But we must keep in mind that many of the pro's come from backgrounds of which many of us simply can not relate. <hr /></blockquote> Are you talking about the backgrounds of the Mannings? Or those from more humbles backgrounds. As far as education, even the worst government schools are free and they all attempt to teach reading/writing. It appears that a lot of the athletes just aren't interested in those trivial activities. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
04-07-2004, 02:29 PM
I say they should be allowed, but it also depends on the sport and the individual. Lets face it, an 18 year old would not be physically ready to compete at the NFL level without getting creamed. But sports like baseball that not only have a minor league system to continue development, certain teams (and yes I learned this as fact from when I was playing ball), but the Yankees for example will sign kids out of high school, but it is part of their contract to continue with education as well and keep the grades up too. I think in that case its the best of both worlds.

woody_968
04-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I was talking about those that come from more humble backgrounds. Of course I cant relate to those with "richer" upbringings either /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif