PDA

View Full Version : Need to put joint in house stick-DFW

UTAddb
04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I was using these one piece cuetec (yes I hate them too) house cues to break with at a tourney and they were unbelievable. My friend was using his playing stick to break and halfway through his match I gave him the cuetec and he was making 3 balls a break thereafter and getting crazy action on the 9. Anyway, we got a couple of these and need a place that will cut them and put in a pin. Someone told me that it might be impossible on a cuetec. Any suggestions around DFW? Thanks.

SpiderMan
04-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Why not just buy them already jointed? I think they're pretty cheap. Probably the popcorn factory that spits them out can do it cheaper than going to a local cuemaker.

But, if you want to do it, there are lots of guys around DFW that can probably handle it. I assume you're talking about the fiberglass-coated-wood version? Cutting that fiberglass coating cleanly might be tricky, but try Royce or Abear for starters.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
I ran into a guy the other day who luckily found a Joss West in a pawn shop for $75 which needed a ferulle, and he told me he had in into Hawley's getting a ferulle and tip, all for $22. This tells me that if I have any such work done, and I include cutting down a 1-piece for a SP cue build, I'm bound to check with the Billiard Store. If my guess is right, I think I know who will be doing the work, and the guy's a very talented cue guy...sid

cycopath
04-06-2004, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I ran into a guy the other day who luckily found a Joss West in a pawn shop for $75 <hr /></blockquote>

Why can't I get someone to pawn a JossWest to me.

Hey, I'll even loan 'em $100. Just because I'm such a nice guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ryushen21
04-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, those were nice break cues. I think that there is a cuetec jump break that sells for right around $100 that is almost the same style as that house cue. So it would probably end up costing you about the same to buy one new and get a joint put in it.

Troy
04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
There's a bit more to it than just putting in a pin after the 1-piece cue is cut. The main thing is making up for the size mis-match made with the cut. It will probably need a collar on the shaft half.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I was using these one piece cuetec (yes I hate them too) house cues to break with at a tourney and they were unbelievable. My friend was using his playing stick to break and halfway through his match I gave him the cuetec and he was making 3 balls a break thereafter and getting crazy action on the 9. Anyway, we got a couple of these and need a place that will cut them and put in a pin. Someone told me that it might be impossible on a cuetec. Any suggestions around DFW? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

frog
04-07-2004, 10:51 PM
This may be your lucky day. I use the same cue to break. My cue man says even the 1 piecers are 2 piece. Just find the joint, and cut around it with a razor, then use mucho muscle to unsrew it as the joint has some glue in it. I have done this on 4 cue tecs now. On my current one I had a joint put in the but to make it a jump break, the cue man said that was tough because the butt below a certain level is not solid wood, but rather a sawdust and glue stuff that he couldnt thread very well, so he had to put a plug in it.

UTAddb
04-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Someone told me that's how they were, but I couldn't imagine why they would produce two piece cues glued together. Is this something I can myself (after hitting the gym of course)?

ryushen21
04-08-2004, 01:27 AM
they are two piece cues, if you want an example i show you the ones that we have at B&amp;B in the store room. People got stupid and tried to unscrew them. but it does take a lot of muscle to get one of the unscrewed completely.

BLACKHEART
04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I can't imagine UNSCREWING that joint, after it's been glued together,without damageing the female threads. It's bound to rip out some wood with it &amp; then you will be left with threads, that are no good. GOOD LUCK!!!
P.S. they put that screw in the middle, to add weight there &amp; give it better ballance. Otherwise it would be butt heavy...JER