PDA

View Full Version : Going To The U.S. Open This Year?

Ketchup
04-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Hello all you regular posters on here. I'm a pool player from Mississippi whose thinking of going to the Open solo this year. If any of you regulars on here need anyone to split hotel cost I will be glad to help. I should be flying up there on the 6th. This will be my first Open to watch. My buddy Pablo Matheu, who taught me the basics of the game, will be playing again this year. I'll be rooting him on. I hope to see you there!!!

cycopath
04-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I noticed Pablo sitting in the stands during last year's PPV events. I wondered how he finished.

9 Ball Girl
04-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I don't see Pablo on here but for what it's worth:
2003 U.S. Open Results (http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2003.cfm?eventnum=205)

Steve Lipsky
04-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Pablo lost his last match on the loser's side to Larry Nevel (hill-hill, I believe), just a few rounds out of the money. I had to play the winner of that match, and lost to Larry.

Pablo seems like a really nice guy, btw.

- Steve

cycopath
04-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info Wendy and Steve.

Barbara
04-06-2004, 05:22 PM
So to all the US Open regulars out there, when do you all come into town and how late do you stay?

Barbara~~~Louise...?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Barbara,

I was a Wed thru Monday attendee up until a few years ago.
Now I arrive Sunday and attend the players meeting and leave Monday afternoon..

It really helps to have a sister that lives only 5 minutes away from the convention center. She even loans me her car while I'm there.

Barbara
04-06-2004, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

It really helps to have a sister that lives only 5 minutes away from the convention center. She even loans me her car while I'm there. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

You are the lucky dog!!!

I was just working out how the viewing would be for the events. Do youse all sit together or what? How are the prices for the events and what's up with the CCB tournament??

Barbara~~~never been to a big event other than Vegas...

Tom_In_Cincy
04-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Barbara,

The CCB III tournament will be held again at Q-Masters if all goes well. More abou this year's event in the Mid-May timeframe. Hopefully there will be some very interesting developments.

Seating for the CCB'ers are usually around the AccuStats booth. But, this year's layout is somewhat different.
2004 US Open Seating layout (http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/Seating/04SeatingA.php)

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 08:54 AM
We also hook up on Friday evening (5:30ish-6ish PM) for dinner. Like Tom said, most of us sit near the Accustat booth, I don't know if it'll still be in the same spot, but it would be the seats right behind the TV table on the right side of the seating chart.

The cool thing this year is that the price of the VIP tickets depend on how many days you plan to attend.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
04-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Barbara, although a lot of us have sat near the Accustat booth for the last two years, there were many others sitting in different areas around the arena. For instance, Tom usually sits with his friends from Cinci, on the opposite side. Mike M. and WesK. also sat on that side.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the location of your seats. Until it gets crowded, on the final weekend, everyone moves around to get closer to the match they want to see.

The seating is a little different this year, so some of us will be moving. It seems they have eliminated an isle, up the center of the Capone Cues section.

You may want to get seats, depending on where you would like to sit for the final weekend. JMHO.

BTW, Cathy and I have been arriving on Wednesday and leaving Monday morning. Although we miss the first couple of rounds, we still get to see plenty of good pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ...a lot of us sat near the Accustat booth... <hr /></blockquote>Am I the only one that's noticed that there doesn't seem to be something called an Accu-stats booth on the seating chart?

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/04layout.php

What I'm hearing from the responses is to go ahead and get VIP tickets for "front and center" on the main table, but you won't really need them until the last day.

Can you also wander around the VIP section if you buy "regular" seats?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2004, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
...Can you also wander around the VIP section if you buy "regular" seats?
<hr /></blockquote>

You're not supposed to. This was a problem at DCC. The unwashed /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif "regular" folks were sitting in the VIP seats. Every now and again someone would come around and check for wristbands but it was futile.

I just paid over $200 for VIP seats in Peoria and I damn well better be able to sit in them. I heard there was a problem there last year too.

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Which one are you? Thelma or Louise? LOL

The first time that I went which was in '02, I bought the daily $15 general ticket and sat in the VIP seats with Kato and VoodooDaddy. I remember having to move once because I was in someone else's seat but I moved to the next seat and no one ever came.

For the Open in '03, I bought myself a VIP ticket. It's reassuring to know that no matter what time you get there, you'll always have your seat. Unfortunately (or fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it), it didn't really get as full as expected because the Hurricane turned a lot of folks away. That's why I wound up sitting right by the TV table. Those seats are the same price but there were people sitting there who had regular admission tickets. Had I known that the hurricane was going to hit and scare people off, I would've never have bought the VIP ticket and instead would've bought the general admission ticket and sit in $200 seats! LOL But, you can never predict when $hits about to happen. Oh well.

This year, I'm going to buy my $200 ticket, because, weather permitting, I'm going to assume that it'll get crowded just as it did the first time I went.

I don't remember or recall seeing someone checking to see if you were sitting in your appropriate seat or not. They gave us this "necklace" if you will which consisted of your VIP ticket attached to an elastic cord which went around your neck. The $10-$15 ticket holders would get a wristband. Maybe this year they'll be a little more diligent in checking?

SPetty
04-07-2004, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Which one are you?<hr /></blockquote>I'm Louise - she's Thelma... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't like the idea that you pay extra premium $$$ for seats that folks who didn't pay the extra $$$ can sit in. (Boy, now that's grammar for you!)

In Vegas, they did a fairly good job of going around and making sure that only folks who paid the VIP price were sitting in the VIP seats. Sure, that leaves empty seats in the VIP section, but hey, that's what we're paying for!

I was just wondering if I could save a buck (to spend on tequila) by buying the minimum last day VIP seating rather than the all week VIP seating. There'd be no reason to pay the bucks if I could sit in the same seat with a regular entry fee.

Anyway... VIP tickets go on sale tomorrow - anyone buying right away? Where are you going to try to sit? (Or are you waiting until you get your seats before telling?)

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
They encouraged all of the VIP holders only to fill up the seats by the TV table so that it would look like a big crowd when it aired. But, like I said, general admission folks were in those seats and no one really checked. The hurricane really did a number on audience attendance last year. I'm all set to buy my ticket and I'm planning to get seats right where the Accustat and aisle used to be.

Kato? RichR? Do you know where you'll be sitting?

Barbara
04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
These guys are amateurs. They ought to check out how we do this at VF. VIP and GA are separated areas AND entrances.

So I guess everyone's going VIP? Listen, if I'm going to leave Sunday morning would I be able to resell my unused ticket?

Barbara

Barbara
04-07-2004, 03:07 PM
At the Holiday Inn right there at the venue, what's the difference between their suites and their executive rooms?

And was it worth it (the upgrade to suite, that is)?

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Barbara,

They gave me the KING BED STE NONSMOKE. You can see a pic of the room here (http://www.chesapeakeva.holiday-inn.com/tour.html). It's the 3rd pic down. It's suppose to be the bedroom and another room called the "sitting" room. The "executive" suite includes Copying Service, E-mail &amp; Internet Service, Facsimile Service and Printer Service.

1 KING EXECUTIVE STE SMOKING
ONE KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE SOFABED REFRIGERATOR MICROWAVELARGE DESK WITH CHAIR IRON AND BOARD HAIRDRYER COFFEEMAKERTV UPGRADED AMENITIES

ONE KING BED SUITE NONSMOKE
ONE KING BED SUITE MICROWAVE OVERSIZED DESK WITH CHAIR IRON AND BOARD HAIRDRYER COFFEEMAKER TV UPGRADED AMENITIESBEDROOM IS SEPARATE FROM SITTING ROOM

Oh oh oh, I've already told Kato and Rich, if you join their Priority Club (at no extra cost), you get to eat breakfast for free the whole time that you're there. HTH

Barbara
04-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Wendy,

You're using "executive" AND "suite" together. At Brady's website when I click on hotels, the Holiday Inn says it has "Executive" rooms and "Suites". Now normally, a suite would consist of a separate sitting room. But what I want to know if it also gets you a fridge or even a microwave.

They also have remodeled so I guess I'll have to call to see what room's got what.

Barbara~~~member of the Priority Club since 2001...

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree but I copied straight from the Holiday Inn site. Things that make you go Hmmmm....

I just checked with them and they assured me that whether you get what they call the Executive Suite or the King Bed Suite, you're getting the same for both: a sitting room, microwave, fridge, etc. Executive would include that other stuff for business travelers, fax, printing, etc.

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Barbara,

I didn't get a chance to mention it before because I had to leave work, but the Executive Suite is a step up of the King Suite. They're both the same as far as having the separate sitting room, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, etc. Unlike the King Suite, the Executive Suite is on a seperate level (on it's own floor), a special key, and the upgraded amenites, according to the rep, is drinks being served etc.

Barbara
04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Okay Wendy,

That explains the diff.

This is new territory for me - I've never been in that area in my life.

But ask me about ALL the hotels around my events - I keep a log!

Barbara~~~just a little O/C... Louise???

cueball1950
04-07-2004, 09:01 PM
thats ok barb, i will pick you up on my way thru...lol.....mike

Rich R.
04-08-2004, 04:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Am I the only one that's noticed that there doesn't seem to be something called an Accu-stats booth on the seating chart?<hr /></blockquote>
Spetty, the Accu-stats booth was never on the seating chart before, either. Those of us who have been there just know where it was.
From the camera boom location, which is the Billiard Club logo on the seating chart, there was a set of steps that went straight to the top of the Capone seating section. At the very top, was the Accu-stats booth. However, they have changed the seating arrangement and eliminated that set of steps. It is not clear of the Accu-stats booth will still be there or not.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>What I'm hearing from the responses is to go ahead and get VIP tickets for "front and center" on the main table, but you won't really need them until the last day.

Can you also wander around the VIP section if you buy "regular" seats?
<hr /></blockquote>
Nobody seems to bother you, most of the time, when you are wondering around. However, all seats in the VIP section are reserved, therefore, if the owner of the seat you are in comes by, you have to move.

Rich R.
04-08-2004, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> These guys are amateurs. They ought to check out how we do this at VF. VIP and GA are separated areas AND entrances. <hr /></blockquote>
Barbara, I can't agree with you on this point.
At the Open, the VIP seats are reserved. This allows you to get up and go to the rest room, without losing your seat. You can not do that at VF.
I'll take the reserved seat anytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
04-08-2004, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I was just wondering if I could save a buck (to spend on tequila) by buying the minimum last day VIP seating rather than the all week VIP seating. There'd be no reason to pay the bucks if I could sit in the same seat with a regular entry fee. <hr /></blockquote>
Assuming there will not be another hurricane this year, it will get more crowded, as the week goes on. Although you can still move around, it is nice to know, you have a reserved seat, when you need it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-08-2004, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> These guys are amateurs. They ought to check out how we do this at VF. VIP and GA are separated areas AND entrances.....<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah that works out great. Maybe I'll go to the WPBA message board and raise some more hell /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
04-08-2004, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> At the Open, the VIP seats are reserved. This allows you to get up and go to the rest room, without losing your seat. You can not do that at VF.
I'll take the reserved seat anytime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's not what I was referring to, Rich. But having a specific reserved seat is great!

Barbara

Rich R.
04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Barbara, I understand your point about not letting people into the VIP section, without paying the price. That is not done at VF, but it is harder to control at the Open, because of the set up.

At the Open, they have a ticket category that allows you to sit in any, unoccupied VIP seat. However, if the seat owner comes, you are expected to leave.
If someone is in your reserved seat, whether they have a VIP ticket or not, you just ask them to get up. I have not seen a problem with this.
I assume, if there were a problem, you would just have to get a staff person. At least that is what I would do. I wouldn't waste my time arguing with some one.

I would love reserved seating at VF.
I am guessing that they oversell the VIP seats, therefore, they can not have reserved seats. I have no proof of this and I'm sure it is done at many other events. It is just my observation.

BTW, have they ever let you away from the tournament desk, long enough, to peak into the pro arena? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ...it is nice to know, you have a reserved seat, when you need it.<hr /></blockquote>I surely agree with that, but I'm still torn that you can get a reserved seat from which you can see only one table, or a different one from which you can see six or eight different tables. Which is better? Probably the one where you can see multiple tables until the end, and then you're just SOL while they're playing on the main table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>BTW, have they ever let you away from the tournament desk, long enough, to peak into the pro arena? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, on Sunday when things are winding down. But I was looking for Spike and thought he might be sitting in GA.

Barbara

RailbirdJAM
04-08-2004, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>...but I'm still torn that you can get a reserved seat from which you can see only one table, or a different one from which you can see six or eight different tables. Which is better? Probably the one where you can see multiple tables until the end, and then you're just SOL while they're playing on the main table.<hr /></blockquote>

At the Derby City Classic, the TV table was surrounded by bleacher seats, which were VIP-seating-only at the commencement. When the seats filled up before a match between George Breedlove and Keith McCready in the banks tournament, the security requested to see VIP passes from those seated in the bleachers and about 95 percent of the people had to vacate their seats immediately during the match. Jeanette Lee was allowed to remain seated during the match most likely so she could watch George play, and he played brilliantly, I might add.

At the Valley Forge pro tournament, there were two doors for admittance, one for VIP and one for General Admission, and it looks as if the U.S. Open is going to use this method for seating at the '04 Open. For those who pay extra for VIP seating, it makes sense that they should be afforded a guaranteed seat and good view.

The Super Billiards Expo running concurrently with the many tournaments in Valley Forge presents a challenge for admission. For me to get in to see the pro tournament, I was required to stand in three separate lines, some lines as long as 75 to 100 people for each individual session or match, before I got to my seat. The pro players were required to do the same, stand in line with the spectators for admission, which presented a difficulty when you arrive 45 minutes before your match and spend 45 minutes just getting to the table.

I understand the reasoning behind the admission gates for large crowds, but I hope the Open is player-friendly as well as spectator-friendly when the new seating arrangement is set in stone.

RailbirdJAM

Rich R.
04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I surely agree with that, but I'm still torn that you can get a reserved seat from which you can see only one table, or a different one from which you can see six or eight different tables. Which is better? Probably the one where you can see multiple tables until the end, and then you're just SOL while they're playing on the main table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
With the new seating arrangement, that is definitely a choice you have to make. I wish I could help, but I'm just as confused as you are. Plus, I have the problem of needing easy access to my seat, so I can move around to take a few pictures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeM
04-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Barbara,

I got a suite last year and I do NOT think it was worth the difference. The sitting room was tiny with limited seating space. Four of us sat down to watch a movie and it was very cramped.

MM

Barbara
04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Well Mike, I called the hotel and talked to the desk clerk. She told me that the only rooms that have double beds are the standard rooms, which is fine by me.

But then she said that you can request a coffee-maker/microwave/fridge for the room at no extra cost. This doesn't sound right me.

Can anyone vouch for this?

Barbara

RailbirdJAM
04-08-2004, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Well Mike, I called the hotel and talked to the desk clerk. She told me that the only rooms that have double beds are the standard rooms, which is fine by me.

But then she said that you can request a coffee-maker/microwave/fridge for the room at no extra cost. This doesn't sound right me.

Can anyone vouch for this?<hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly the way I understand it. I, too, inquired about the suites. The only suites Holiday Inn offers are one king-sized bed in a large room -- larger than the standard rooms -- with a small sofa and table. The closet space is huge, though, which is a nice feature for a week-long stay. All suites are non-smoking and are discounted for the Open, but cost more than the player's standard room rate.

The "executive" rooms are standard rooms that come equipped with two king-sized beds, frige and microwave at no additional cost.

The difference between the "suite" and "executive" is cost and the fact that one room is larger with a better closet, but only has one bed IMO.

I was confused at first about the differences myself. BTW, there are no smoking rooms available at the player's rate.

RailbirdJAM

Barbara
04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr>
The "executive" rooms are standard rooms that come equipped with two king-sized beds, frige and microwave at no additional cost.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yo yo yo!!! Is this true?? TWO king-sized beds?? Thank you Jenny!

I'm down with that! Louise?

Barbara~~~will call again tomorrow...

SPetty
04-08-2004, 07:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr>
The "executive" rooms are standard rooms that come equipped with two king-sized beds, frige and microwave at no additional cost.<hr /></blockquote>I'm down with that! Louise?<hr /></blockquote>This is almost what I understood from the Holiday Inn Chesapeake web site - I believe it's two double beds. But my understanding is that the executive rooms come with one or two beds, fridge and microwave, while the standard room has no fridge or microwave. I believe the suites also have a fridge and microwave, but I couldn't find a suite with two beds, they didn't answer my call, and they didn't return my call.

Barbara
04-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Okay, this is going to be painless.

---Thelma

RailbirdJAM
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>...I believe it's two double beds. But my understanding is that the executive rooms come with one or two beds, fridge and microwave, while the standard room has no fridge or microwave. I believe the suites also have a fridge and microwave, but I couldn't find a suite with two beds....<hr /></blockquote>

The Holiday Inn in Chespeake does not have a suite with two beds. All suites come with one king-sized bed, bigger closet instead of one closet pole with five hangers on it, and the room itself is somewhat larger than the double-bedded room, including a small sofa and coffee table.

There is no difference in price between the standard room with one or two beds, with or without a frige and microwave, and an executive room with two beds, with or without a frige and microwave. The standard room and executive room are exactly the same in size.

RailbirdJAM