PDA

View Full Version : spot shot with dent at foot spot?

phil in sofla
04-05-2004, 12:54 PM
A table I shoot at has a significant dent at the foot spot, so that a ball spotted there takes a significant little mini-roll and settles down into the depression.

Attempting to practice some spot shots, I noticed the 'hole' there was making the object ball kind of squirrel out, definitely on a different line than I had aimed it, making it tough to pocket. (I gave up the drill until I was at a different table).

Is there any general rule of thumb how to adjust aiming at a spot shot when the ball is in a little dent at the foot spot? Thinner, say?

If that is the case, would it be ok to move the object ball being spotted a little high or low, as is done with the head ball in the rack if the spot depression causes the head ball to move off the rack?

Since spotting balls is common, and dents at the foot spot not uncommon, have you run into this situation, and how did you handle it?

piglit
04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Hit it hard and close your eyes.

-pigi

ras314
04-05-2004, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Since spotting balls is common, and dents at the foot spot not uncommon, have you run into this situation, and how did you handle it? <hr /></blockquote>
Change rules to BIH anywhere.

Predator314
04-05-2004, 02:26 PM
That's the reason I cringe when someone beats the top of the ball with another ball when racking. On my table, that would not be allowed.

There is no good way to shoot the ball in. The only thing I can suggest is to shoot a bit harder and then will send the OB towards the pocket with more energy making it harder to "deflect" its path.

My unscientific $0.02

SpiderMan
04-05-2004, 02:31 PM
If the ball is significantly lower than on the rest of the playing surface, you would have to aim a little thicker for the hit to be geometrically equal (on the same line to the pocket, including throw correction). That's independent of the effect of the ball needing to be driven up a ramp to get out of the spot.

SpiderMan

phil in sofla
04-05-2004, 03:58 PM
The banging of balls in the rack is exactly how this dent was formed. That room has a couple that insist on banging EVERY ball in the rack, making it very hard to rack. Someone finally told them not to do that and why, but the damage has been done, and I'm not sure they've stopped doing it.

Barbara
04-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Phil,

The dents are in the cloth, not the slate.

Maybe soaking the area with a little water will swell the cloth and it will "undent" itself?

Barbara~~~wondering if "undent" is a word...

randyg
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
BARBARA: Change to a new spot. When you pull up the old one, brush the felt up in all directions....randyg

Troy
04-05-2004, 07:55 PM
And massage the cloth in both dorections prior to replacing the spot. This should move any dust that has accumulated under the spot.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> BARBARA: Change to a new spot. When you pull up the old one, brush the felt up in all directions....randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
04-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

BTW, breaking with any power will form a indentation also after time. The cb is usually airborne when hitting the headball. Forcing the headball down after hitting the two balls behind it. Even, slightly over center of the headball will force the headball downwards. IMHO

C.C.

KGeeED
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Try banking the ball. It should be a simple bank. Try from different positions with and without english just in case there are balls in the way. Banking back to the corner pocket also gives you a larger pocket because of the long rail if you shoot to come in wide.

If you just want to practice and the table has a dent at the foot spot just reverse ends of the table. Spot the ball at the head spot and shoot from the foot end. This won't help in a game but will help when you play on a table without the hole.