PDA

View Full Version : Taking off rail-induced English?

phil in sofla
04-05-2004, 11:01 PM
When the cue ball or object ball hits the rail at an angle, a little English is put on the ball by that contact.

A 3-C player told me every rail you hit is putting on the equivalent of a tip's worth of English extra, but I think that's only true with the 3-C equipment. I don't think that is true with normal pool equipment, although I may be wrong. Still, hitting the rail at an angle does add some English.

Some time ago, I heard that sometimes you need to correct for the spin the contact on the rail will add, by using a little reverse English.

Can anyone give me an example where this might be used? Do you ever use that technique in your game?

Keith Talent
04-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Phil,

I've never tried to correct for this kind of thing, but here's a shot I actually made in a tournament a couple of weeks ago that illustrates your point. For sure, some of the juice was from contact with the 8, but how much action the cb had going off the 4th rail surprised me. Shot was hit with draw.

START(
%HG1S9%ID3Q6%PS5V1%UU7[1%VC2V4%WH3T9%XS0V0%YC8D5%ZG0S2%[r2R2
%\V7[4%]^9D0%^r7Q5%_H5J9%`Z7D5%a]7C5%bD2V2%cF0U1%dF9T6
)END

Popcorn
04-06-2004, 08:50 AM
You apply english as needed to play position. You can apply a little running english when going to a rail to eliminate the pick up of spin and have the cueball run a more predictable course. Rail english as you call it won't have any effect, till the cue ball hits a second rail, that is why it is a concern in 3-c billiards. It can effect the path of the cue ball enough for you to miss the shot. Any english on the cue ball will effect the angle it comes off the rail, long or short, as well as the speed, So depending where you want to get with the cue ball, you may use inside, out side center ball, what ever. Some parts of the billiards do not apply to pool. In pool we are mostly concerned with the path of the object ball. In billiards they are mostly concerned with the path of the cue ball. In pool position is played with the cue ball, in billiards position is played by where they drive the object ball.

Bob_Jewett
04-09-2004, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> A 3-C player told me every rail you hit is putting on the equivalent of a tip's worth of English extra, but I think that's only true with the 3-C equipment. <hr /></blockquote>

It's not even true of 3-C equipment. The amount of side spin the ball picks up when hitting the cushion changes with the angle of approach. On most "natural" shots at 3-C, the angles are between 30 and 60 degrees. If you go very shallowly into a cushion, there will be only a little english induced.

As for specific shots where reverse is used to cancel the effect, I think you would have to look at particular banking and kicking systems (of which there are many, many, many) to find examples. Angle-in very rarely equals angle-out.