PDA

View Full Version : VF Re-visited Long but interesting.

Chris Cass
04-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

I had a blast. First let me say that if it wasn't for Scott Lee, I would have most likely forfieted my entry fees and wouldn't have gone. Scott offered graciously to split the Gas, Tolls and Hotel costs. Also, he would do most of the driving and to top it off in his Caddy.(w/6way power seats /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

All I had to do was drive to Chicago about 3 hrs away and park my car in his security parking garage. That was great. I wasn't planning on taking him up on this offer due to me having Spike with and also my sleeping habits being up every 2 hrs getting sick and all would ruin his sleep. Scott still was insisting as any close friend would have.

Every match, he dropped me off at the front door so it was easy for me to get there without walking after parking the car. He took us back and forth without any dismay. He even waited in the car while I was gambling for hrs then took us back to the room. I can't tell you how that weekend improved my strength. I have a lot of trouble with breathing and strength issues. I could not believe how well I faired. I haven't felt that good in a yr.

Barbara and Pete, was another Godsend. They both were nothing short of great. Barbara, helped me with match times and was there 100% for me and Spike. She was slammed most of the time and still, she stopped and took time for me. She did so much and won't go into detail but you couldn't find any friends that were so great as these wonderful people.

Barbara introduced me to Barry Szamboti. What a guy. He introduced me to his Dads friends, Gus Distephano a long time friend of his Dads and Art Cantando, Barrys protagey(sp?). Also, a friend of Gus Szamboti' and is making cues. Good idea to buy one of his cues, if you know what I mean. I enjoyed talking to these guys even though I was extremely intimidated buy their presents. I wanted to talk one pocket with Gus but couldn't.

I was in a match and looked up and Barry was there sweating my match. Well, I came unglued. Couldn't make a ball. I recognized Barry the minute I saw him. It takes a lot to unravel me but seeing Barry did it instantly. The bad thing was I wasn't playing with the Boti. How stupid was I? I still feel so badly. I'm such an a$$.

After Barbara introduced me to Barry, Art and Gus formally. Barry mentioned to his buddys to show them the cue I lost out in the tourney with. I showed them the South West. I turned instantly red. I'm such a smuck. I deserved it too. But you know, I was really happy he did. Because it showed me he liked me. He liked me enough to bust my chops. My friends often do this. It's a way of showing true friendship. Still, I'm embarrassed.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nick and his lovely wife Mildred (hope I remembered her name right). He and she are first class all the way. The guys got doe, believe me. He's living life large traveling and enjoying his children. They're both professional people I can tell. That's my Dawg.

I met Carol and Jimmy once again. She wouldn't let me go. LOL So glad Jimmy didn't kill me. Carol was looking good. She made a shot on Charlie Williams that was a tough kick and smoked it ctr pocket too. Charlie crap racked me. It was all in fun.

Rich and Cathy sweat a match with me too. I feel stupid not introducing them to Barry and Barry introduced himself as we met after the match. Rich and his wife are always so nice.

Met Duaine known as DG on the board. He is very nice too. He also came by to say hi while Spike was playing. I went by Dr. D's booth. Saw the book. Man, that thing is like 20lbs. LOL Nice of her to provide a contact board. Although she has no credentials, the book looks interesting. She did research the subject well. Then again you must do reserch well to get your Phd. I hate to say this but I didn't care for her too much. It seemed she was more interested in pushing her book sales more than meeting friends. Sorry.

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug. Inventor of the stroke trainer. Still feel bad about him. We talked for an 1/2 an hr and he felt so insulted by the way he was treated here. I don't blame him. He's a good man. He even had a guy that he talked to for 45mins about his product. The guy even had the nerve to sit and draw the dementions to reproduce one for himself. Doug just said, hey I'll give you one if your that bad off, basically.

He was hurt though buy people here. First for dawging him about spamming then, reproduce his product. That sucks. He's not like a spammer at all. He believes in it and is a player himself. I was going to ask him for one for 30 days and use it everyday. Then, give him a true evaluation. Now, I wouldn't even suggest it. He'd probably think I'd want to screw him too. BTW, it's $160. and he'll adjust it to you for free if need be.

Tell you right now. I have worked with my stroke on video tape. This thing I believe has merit. It's easier to program your memory muscle physically without returning to retape every 3 mths as I do after corrections now. I just don't know for sure yet? Anyway, I feel bad for him.

Moving on, the tourney was great. I have to go there again. No Quarters pumped. Couldn't believe that one. The practice tables only .25 That was the nutz.

Can't forget Fred A. and Jimmy B. Fred is always top notch. Found out Jimmy B has a mean streak. LOL AZ Billiards. hahahaha Still, a good kid. I didn't know he knew Barry too. Barry liked him, I could tell.

I'll tell you now. This is the most fun event I've ever attended. Met Allen Hopkins too. He chuckled and as he wrote my check out he said, who's the Cassman? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I said, it's me. I told him Barbara and all the staff were simply the best. He knew I was happy. I loved this tourney and I didn't do squat. You've got to get there, it's the best time ever. Remember, you need to come out of the box soon. These races are short and it's tough. Nextime I'll play the Pro-Am. Less players and a race to 7. Nextime, I'll be prepared better. I'm coming back, I can tell. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Chris,

After reading your post, I feel like I missed a family reunion. I laughed, out loud, sighed, frowned and grimaced reading your SBEVF post.

I still haven't met the majority of the NorthEastern CCB contingent (Carol, Barbara and crew) and this is one of my future plans. Maybe this year at the US Open.

I am so glad your game has improved, you are truely living proof that adversity can be overcome.

Next time we meet, I have to have the breaks and at least an 11-6 spot.. we'll make it interesting.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am so happy that my CCB friends had a great time at VF.

Scott Lee is bigger than we give him credit. Way to go Scott.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-06-2004, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
...I have to have the breaks and at least an 11-6 spot..
<hr /></blockquote>

Geeeez........ &lt;wally rolls eyes&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
04-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey CC!!

It was GREAT to see you and Spike again. And it'll be even GREATER when I get to see you, Spike, and Heide again next year!!

Barbara

Chris Cass
04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Oops,

I forgot Eric. Eric is one of the most kind and compasionate person I've ever met. We always talk and nextime, I'll drag him to a table and hit some. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW Barbara, you did do a fantastic job running that event. It truely was the best ran tourney I've ever been to, including the Open. You know your stuff and I'm not just whistling dixie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for showing me these things no matter what size can run smooth. Thank you. Did I shrink or was Pete always that tall? LOL

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Oops,

I forgot Eric. Eric is one of the most kind and compasionate person I've ever met. We always talk and nextime, I'll drag him to a table and hit some. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW Barbara, you did do a fantastic job running that event. It truely was the best ran tourney I've ever been to, including the Open. You know your stuff and I'm not just whistling dixie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for showing me these things no matter what size can run smooth. Thank you. Did I shrink or was Pete always that tall? LOL

C.C.~~agent 99 is worth a million to me.

Barbara
04-06-2004, 04:05 PM
CC,

We only had a couple of problems with the tournies. in particular, there were 3 sets of 2 men with the same names that had to get straightened out. Like Bob So-and-So Sr and Bob Jr. But there were no Srs and Jrs or middle initials to go by. Eventually, we got it straightened out.

The biggest snafu was the draw for the 256-player second chance tournie that Saturday afternoon. Like I said, we had to number the 4 64-players charts and then sort out the draw discs. Then I missed a player's number and wrote down another one twice. This is where tournament software is going to be examined. Pete and I are going to look at some programs and write up a proposal to Dawn, Jerry and Nadine outlining the pros and cons of all the programs and the computer equipment needed. Anyone out there that can give me some software names, feel free to chime in. I already know what Mr. Ingrate's stuff can do.

But thanks for the good words about the tournies. We have an experienced staff to handle them and Jerry and Nadine always do a professional job!

And you're too funny about Barry, Gus D, and Art Cantando!! That crew will ride you like a circus pony! They're hilarious. I actually got a chance to give back to Gus one time while he was shooting Art in 1-hole one day. Gus had ball-in-hand and missed. I looked at Art and said, "He had a bad angle." The look on Art's face was priceless!! And yeah, Art makes some sweet cues.

Barbara

CarolNYC
04-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi Chris,
Its amazing-I actually hear your soft,calm voice!
Carol~misses the Cass family!

Rod
04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
CC, you do have a way with words. Glad you had such a great time. You should have told Barry you didn't want the boti getting damaged so you left it at home. LOL

Rod

PQQLK9
04-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Well Chris Ol'boy, I can definitely say that meeting you was the highlight of my trip. I know that Heidi is very proud of both of her men.
I was at VF in 94 and met Mike, Nick, Johnny, Earl and Tony Ellin, but this time I met You and Spike, Scott, 9 ball Girl (Wendy), Dr.D, Carol, Fred, Preacherman (Jim), Barry, Brady and Ted Harris...all CCB'ers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What a nice time I had!
The picture that Malinda took of you and me is forthcoming.

Leviathan
04-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Hiya, Chris.

Reading your post, and the other posts in this thread, has been the high point of my day. It was damn good of Scott to help with the transportation, but I'm sure he enjoyed spending time with you and Spike. Did Spike get any good play?

Regards to the family,

Alan

Chris Cass
04-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Hi Nick,

I knew I was going to screw up Malinda' name. I am so sorry. I've been doing things like that ever since my bout with C. I will never forget the kindness I seen in her eyes when we met. Both of you are gems and I was very impressed by you and your lovely wife.

Your dawg,

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi Alan,

Spike did very well. In the tourney he drew his match against last yrs 5th place winner named David. He truely liked him. Spike beat him 4-1 the first set. Then, had him 3-0 the second but David soon came back due to errors and nerves, I could tell. That set David won hill-hill. The third set and final round for Christ was tough and Christ lost.

He was bummed but went to the gambling tables. That story I'll mention in another post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, Spike later destroyed David in a one on one match later. I believe Spike will be a pro early. That's if his interest is still there. I don't push him in anything but education.

BTW, does your Dad like flying mags? I have some I'd like to send you for him. I think it's great you go out with him and spend time. If so, give me a pm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> BTW, Spike later destroyed David in a one on one match later.<hr /></blockquote>I was watching Spike playing David in their one on one match before I grabbed a table for myself and Spike was kicking David's a$$!

Barbara
04-07-2004, 09:46 AM
When Spike's opponent came up to the tourny desk to hand in his match sheet, I mentioned to him that he had just beaten my buddy. The kid who won said that Spike played really good and the father agreed.

I'm just sorry they didn't play on a table upstairs so I could've watched.

Barbara

Chris Cass
04-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi Barbara,

I met both the Dad and the wife. Both including young David were just great people. I did meet some real punks and can see their future right now but players like David, will be real players later and make the sport grow.

Regards,

C.C.~~lil buddy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
04-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Wendy,

I'm sorry not to mention you and meeting Mario or merio as you say it. He seemed nice but you I feel were on a bit of an edge. I hope there wasn't a problem. I know you care for him and he seemed quite nice to me. I do think you were holding back the friendly outgoing sweet person you really are around him. I also think he'd appreciate that sweetheart more. Either way, I got your back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
04-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Geez, you really "saw" me! Unbelievable that you noticed that. Yeah I was on edge. See your PM.

dg-in-centralpa
04-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Chris,
It was great meeting you and finally putting a face with a name. I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time with you. My wife and daughter were along and wanted to see and do everything. They came down Friday night and I was there since Thursday. They were very anxious. Hopefully next year we can hook up and chat awhile.

DG

Barbara
04-07-2004, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> My wife and daughter were along and wanted to see and do everything. They came down Friday night and I was there since Thursday. They were very anxious. Hopefully next year we can hook up and chat awhile.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

And what am I? Chopped liver? Am I not allowed to meet the family?

Barbara~~~wondering if she's that scary...

Ralph S.
04-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Hi Chris. I am glad you enjoyed your trip. Scott Lee is a genuine friend to many. I don't think you could find a more stand-up guy than Scott until you come across a fella by the name of Chris Cass. I am happy to hear your stamina is coming back. Just don't rush yourself, let time help you along.

Ralph S.&gt;waiting for the day he finally meets C.C. in person.

stickman
04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Chris, I'm glad you were able to go and have a good time, and glad you have friends like Scott, Barbara, and the others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barry
04-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Hey Chris,
I had a great time talking to you! I'm glad you liked Art and Gus, they are quite the crew. You're right about we like you or we could never bust chops. We don't talk to those we don't like. My goal this year was to meet you and as many CCB ers as I could.

You, Chris are an insperation. You have great spirit and warmth, and you make everyone around you happy. I'm glad we met.

I also got to meet Scott Lee, Fred agnir, Gayle(Md), and of course my long lost baby brother Jimmy B.
I also got to say hello to Wendy who flashed me her beautifull smile and said hi.

It's a long show but It's a great time to make new friends.

I hope I see you all next year!

Barry

Chris Cass
04-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Hey Barry,

Do you think I should send Art a Hat? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~wants to see Barry' shop.

Chris Cass
04-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Yo Barbara,

I'm a wanted man in the state of Philly. I swapped with Scott and not 1 minute later got a ticket for 87 in a 65. The cop said, that's $166.and change and send it to this address. I said, geez, couldn't you give me a break and make $165. ? He didn't think it was funny. He then said,"Hope you win the tournament." I said, how'd you know I was a pool player. He said, the plate says Rackm-up and you don't know how bad I wanted to tell him he should make detective. hahahahha

That caddy of Scotts rides so smooth you almost have to use the cruise controll. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Barry
04-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Chris,
If you sent him a hat I wouldn't be able to tease him with mine! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, I want to formally extend an ongoing invitation to you to come to the shop whenever you are in town. Just let me know when you're coming. This includes your entourage as well.

Barry

Chris Cass
04-08-2004, 08:52 AM
ALRIGHT!!!

Barry, your the greatest. I'll try to make it when noones there. I remember the lastime we talked and Parica was there. I don't want to disrupt your doing business.

Thank you so much,

C.C.~~wonder if Art would like a Cantado Cues hat? LOL better yet, a Cantado Cues hat for Barry and Gus. hahahahaha Art might flip. LOL

Barbara
04-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Hey!! I've got a spare bedroom!

Barbara

Chris Cass
04-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Rod,

I had the Boti with me. I just didn't feel comfortable playing with it in such a short race. Nextime, I will because I've been playing more with it lately. I need to make some adjustments but I think I can do this. All of my cues were would to wood joints and linen wrap so, I do have to make some slight adjustments.

Barry offered to make any correction for me and that was the nicest thing to hear. It's a great cue. I'm due though. I shot with a Meucci for 11 yrs then, McDermott for 8, then the South West for 13 yrs so, I am due. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~will never embarrass myself again. talking to Pat Diveney of Pat Diveney Cues last weekend. He told me there's nothing more rewarding to him than a player to win with his cue. I understand now how I can make Barry proud. hmm, how to win? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Sounds like you hadda great time...I played with a Gus Szamboti for years and swore it was the finest cue I ever played with to date but a dwindling BR caused me to sell it. CC...I'm still waiting for my full report phone call. How's a Pool Detective suppose to stay current with his informants calls? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~nearing the end of his pool hiatuis

Barbara
04-08-2004, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Yo Barbara,

I'm a wanted man in the state of Philly. I swapped with Scott and not 1 minute later got a ticket for 87 in a 65. The cop said, that's $166.and change and send it to this address. I said, geez, couldn't you give me a break and make $165. ? He didn't think it was funny. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, what you should've said is, "But Officer, I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But really, they target innocent pool players and they let the PA state Govenor and his driver go scott free?

Read it here: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/columnists/8363365.htm?1c

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Barbara - I humbly apologize. They were so anxious to do as much as they could. Can I make it up to you with more chocolate? Something rich and creamy that you can't find in your area or a personalized bar again?

DG - feels like a turd

Barbara
04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Duane&lt;

I'm just busting on ya!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I hope they had a great time and will let you out again next year~

Barbara
04-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Duane,

I'm just busting on ya!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I hope they had a great time and will let you out again next year!!

Barbara~~~is not going to eat that "special" bar!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Knock KNOCK.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
04-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Yo Steve,

That "Yo" is Philly talk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sure, I call when I'm winning. LOL Anyway, I'll give you the straight dope when I make my next post, "VF the Dirt." LOL I know you'll want to hear about the dark side. Lol

You should see the work Barry is doing. I know you know Gus' work but Barry although he isn't taking orders is working with Sterling Silver and Gold. Ring work, I'm thinking? I appreciate ringwork. Don't know if you ever met Barry, but your in for a treat. He's a mini Voodoo but with a heart just as big. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif He busts on ya hard but makes you feel like family. I almost felt jealous when he said JimmyB was his adopted lil bro but, what can I say? JimmyB is such a great kid. I almost want to pinch his checks. LOL What an idiot I am. I almost did it again. I ment cheeks. hahahahaha See, I learn from my mistakes. LMAO

Regards,

C.C.~~turns his phone on almost once a day and everyday on the road. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
04-09-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi Barbara,

I know that sucks but I grew up in Chicago under Mayor Daily, the old man. Everything could be taken care of by a lil greasing of the palm. I believe in this theory. You mess up, you should pay. If you know somebody? That's ok but we had this guy Ryan for gov. This guy couldn't be taken care of but then the slime bucket gets caught for some stuff and he went off to jail. That is BS. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

BTW, ask Scotty. I busted on that cop for like 20 miles. hahahaha He reminded me of this kid I punched in the face once. That was enjoyable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~Barbara, did I tell you how much I luv my pecans? Oh, their great!

dg-in-centralpa
04-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Barbara - They will definitely let me out next year as long as I bring them along. That special bar is made to eat. It is real chocolate. You will meet them next year.

DG - hopes your significant other isn't jealous over the chocolate