PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Keep or Sell this cue?

Cheap9Ball
04-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi,
I just bought a new cue and am trying to decide what to do with my "old" one. It's a Schon R12 from the late 80s up to possibly 1991 based on when I got it. It is in excellent shape and has two ivory-ferruled shafts. I don't really need the $$$ (not that I'm loaded; I'm just not to a point where that amount would make or break anything). Part of me wants to keep it (if I sell it then I'll eventually wish I hadn't), but the more practical side says that there is no reason to keep it. So, I'm opening it up to help me decide. Anyone want to hazard an opinion either way?

datplayer
04-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Depends on what you want for it. I'll buy it for $100! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheap9Ball
04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't know; it isn't so much a question of what I would want but of whether it's going to stay with me or not. I'm in the process of building a house (with a 15X19 room in the basement) so there is definitely a 4.5X9 table in my future. I think it would be nice to have a few nice cues instead of one nice one and a bunch of "house" cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
04-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Well I have an old R7 with the inlay option. It's my main cue. Good solid cue, if you sell yours you might have to spend more than you want to replace it. Personally I'd keep it. Later on someone would really like it than some cheap cue to play with. You might even play with it again.

Rod

tateuts
04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
If the cue has the sharp spliced points, and the stitch design rings, it's a Runde era "keeper" and it's collectible. If it has the rounded points and the nickel rings, it's not really so collectible and pretty common.

No matter what, those earlier Schons were really good playing cues. I sold an R-15 (lots of ivory) - which was made after they went to the pantograph inlays - and it only went for $700. If it were an earlier Runde spliced cue it would have probably sold for over $1000 (but I wouldn't have sold it).

Chris

WaltVA
04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean - I've got an old R-14 with the sharp spliced points, veneers and beautiful ivory plates in the dark cocobolo butt sleeve. It's a great shooting cue, and the first Schon I ever bought, but I'm now shooting with an STL-7 I bought from a friend and it just feels more natural to me. I'll probably never go back to the R-14, but I still love it and would hate to let it go.

If you don't need the $$$ now, I'd be inclined to hang on to it. I've kicked myself later for letting some other semi-collectible items go.

Walt in VA

Chris Cass
04-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Oh how I know your problem.

C.C.

NH_Steve
04-07-2004, 04:45 AM
I still have two of my old 'retired' playing cues -- a Willie Hoppe and a Palmer -- and although both would probably sell decently well, why would I part with old friends like that if I don't have to? If I ever sold one, I can just imagine the buyer thinking, 'What a well used cue, I wonder what stories it could tell, if it only could.' Well, when I pick up those old cues, those stories all come back to me (the ones I haven't forgotten /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) -- because they are right there in my hands! Part with them? No way!!

BLACKHEART
04-07-2004, 07:43 AM
At one time I had around 40 collectable Qs. Thinking some day, they would all be worth much more than I paid for them, I put them all away. They were all stored in cases, in a climate controled room. One day I pulled out a one-of-a-kind Schon, that I had made in the '80's, for a little over $1200. BOTH SHAFTS HAD WARPED. That's the day I started to sell off my collection. Qs seem to like it, when they are played with & don't always like storage. The same thing happened to a friend of mine, who collected Mcdermott Qs. He has since sold them all...JER

Cheap9Ball
04-07-2004, 06:55 PM
It's not a Runde era cue; it has CNC inlays. I do like it, but not as much as what I play now. I think I'll keep it, and make sure it gets played with regularly to keep it "happy". It may not be a collectible, but it sure does hit good, even with 10-year old LePro tips! (Goes without saying that I'm back into the game after some time off...) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif