PDA

View Full Version : Stroketrainer testimonials

Predator314
04-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I've seen the threads about people making their own stroketrainer and marketing/selling the stroketrainer. My question is for the people who actually have one.... Did it help you out?

I'm not really familiar with the product. I checked the site and saw what it was supposed to do. There really isn't any detailed pictures that show me what is going on with the apparatus.

I'm looking for a way to tune my stroke. It seems I've hit a plateu with my game and cannot get any better no matter how much or how little I practice. My stroke just doesn't feel right these days. I was wondering if this would help me.

stickman
04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
It absolutely has helped my game. You have to use it religiously though. I don't know if it works for everyone, but I had trouble keeping my wrist straight. No doubt about it, it works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
I've never used the stroketrainer, so I can't pass judgement on the product.

The main thing you want out of your stroke is for it to be smooth and straight. One simple way to check it is to place your bridge hand on the rail and line up the cue along the line between the rail and the cushion. Practice stroking and watch the tip of your cue. If it is moving straight along that line rather than side to side, you are probably in pretty good shape. If the tip doesn't follow the line, you are most likely not allowing your forearm to hang straight down from your elbow. A simple way to check your stroke, and doesn't cost a penny.

PQQLK9
04-07-2004, 09:22 AM
I tried one and it showed me that my stroke was pretty much "ON" and that I need to concentrate more on "Chin Lock" (lining up my shot).I think it's a fine product however.

04-07-2004, 09:26 AM

mike_in_iowa
04-07-2004, 09:53 AM
I too have a stroketrainer. I really do see the value in a product like this. What it has done for me is to align my forearm. Keeping it straight up and down. It was worth the money I spent. The only bad thing about my experience is that 3-4 weeks after I got my trainer, the stroketrainer II came out. I felt he should have told me about it as I would have got the new one. Doug said when I ordered mine there was no plans for a new design. He offered to make it right by giving me a little off the new one but I passed.

All in all a great product and I think it would be a great deal for anyone who wants to get better. It would improve anyones game.

Mike athens

bluewolf
04-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I just got back from the pool hall, where I met Doug and he gave me the stroke trainer that he tailor made for me and also showed me how to use it.

WW figured his out, but I needed a lesson on how to use mine.

Doug did not charge a dime for this tailor made one, he just wanted me to be able to use it with success to refine my stroke.

From what I could see, he actually is a good pool player, went out on me in 1-2 innings on every game we played.
After a few minutes on the trainer, I was shooting better, especially long shots, although I think that I need to practice on it somemore.

BTW- Doug can only make a certain number of these each week, according to what he told me. So, I predict that there will, at some point, in the near future be a waiting list. So, if anyone wants the Stroke Trainer, I would not wait.

Laura

catscradle
04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
I have one and it has helped me. I'm sure some very good people have a stroke which needs no help, or have a very unorthodox style they've played with for so long it works for them, but I think if you're a player with ordinary stroke problems it will help.

woody_968
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I also am looking into one of these and am interested in the reply's to this thread.

If those who reply dont mind, it would be helpfull to know what your level of play was before you tried using it. I am no pro by any means, but I do practice almost every day and am a 7 in APA (not that really tells you alot) I wasnt sure how much one would help me.

Thanks.

woody_968
04-07-2004, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
The main thing you want out of your stroke is for it to be smooth and straight. One simple way to check it is to place your bridge hand on the rail and line up the cue along the line between the rail and the cushion. Practice stroking and watch the tip of your cue. If it is moving straight along that line rather than side to side, you are probably in pretty good shape. If the tip doesn't follow the line, you are most likely not allowing your forearm to hang straight down from your elbow. A simple way to check your stroke, and doesn't cost a penny. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with this post, but would like to point out that some people will stroke straight when doing the drill you mention but not when they are actually shooting a ball. Especially when it is a cut shot. Just like in golf, you see many beatifull practice swings, but put a ball in front of them and their swing changes completely.

bluewolf
04-07-2004, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I also am looking into one of these and am interested in the reply's to this thread.

If those who reply dont mind, it would be helpfull to know what your level of play was before you tried using it. I am no pro by any means, but I do practice almost every day and am a 7 in APA (not that really tells you alot) I wasnt sure how much one would help me.

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Whitewolf is an sl7 in APA. I am an sl3, but just got mine today. I have had stroke lessons as has WW from some good instructors, but Doug showed me another little glitch I needed to work on.

So having just gotten this, I cannot say about how many levels I may go up as a result of this since I have other things I need to improve on too but WW, who is a decent player, says it fixed his stroke.

I heard Jeannette Lee also has one, and she sure has been playing well. So, being a good player already, I think you will get your best feedback from other good players who have used this.

People on CCB often do not like to say what their sl is or if they are an A or B player, but having been here awile, I know that the people who have responded positively so far, ARE good players.

Hope that helps.

Laura

woody_968
04-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Laura, thats the kind of stuff im lookin for /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RUNaRAK
04-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Woody, I am also an SL7 and I purchase the ST several months ago. I do not use it daily but when I lose my stroke I pull the ST out and it gets me back into my groove in minutes. I have spent alot of $$$$ on the game and this in perspective was a minimal investment. It works for me and I also use it to train my left handed stroke as well.
Of course you get alot of folks that say they can build one for a couple of bucks... NOT!
It is a good product and I have benefited from it as well. I do not think that you will be disappointed. Best of luck.

bluewolf
04-08-2004, 07:40 AM
From testimonials, I know it is a good product and look forward to perfecting my stroke. Since my misses are in part lack of experience, but ocasionally do miss as a result of stroke, I feel that this can help my game.

One thing I want to emphasize is that Doug stands behind his product. We had paid the typical cost for our first ST. When Doug heard that it was not working for me, he contacted me to offer to modify the vertical piece two inches shorter, which he said that many women he had sold to needed.

Since we are in the middle of moving, Doug knew that I would not be able to use this for a month. Not only did he give me that new vertical piece, he gave me an entire, new stroke trainer, at no charge, which he also changed the bolt settings on the horizontal piece to fit my stance and and grip.

While a far cry from an sl7, I am determined to get better and am getting better over time, and really do feel that considering what many spend on various pool equipment, lessons and so forth, that even at its present cost, $175 is not much money.

Laura

ceebee
04-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I've got a StrokeTrainer &amp; I'm very glad to have it. Not having a Pool Table for about 10 months, to practice on at home, the StrokeTrainer helped out immensely. I'm a SL7 or higher in rating &amp; I'm 62 years old. But, I'm never gonna get so old, that I won't need to use the finest training tools available, to attain a higher level of play. I have a real penchant for the Game of Pocket Billiards &amp; playing well is a good feeling. Winning a few bucks is nice too.

Mr. Carter has offered anyone a chance to purchase his StrokeTrainer &amp; if you're not satisfied that it works for you... send it back for your refund. That's an oppurtunity you don't often get.

But, if you (whoever reads these columns) listen to just anyone's opinion, you may listen to the wrong one. Everyone has an opinion &amp; a nose. Try it out yourself, if it doesn't work for you, then you'll know it.

Very few of us are NATURALS at this game of Pocket Billiards &amp; very few of us are gifted with a STRAIGHT STROKE. There are those among us players that compete well, with a Stroke that is obviously full of flaws.... go figure...!

Spending $200 to learn "accuracy of stroke" is a give away program. For some players with a $1000 cue &amp; a $300 case, that would be the only expenditure ever made for any instructional material or training tools.

I have several students that have spent $200-$300 up for lessons &amp; shoot with a $100 Sneaky Pete, they carry around without a case. I enjoy competing with them, but I won't gamble with them. They too see the benefits of using this Training Tool... one kid says,"man, I can feel the groove again, let's play Pool".

This is just my humble opinion.

mr8ballme
04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi to All and Thanks again. I just wanted to let you all know their is not a shortage of my ST i think it was miss understood the way i said it. I have a bad back! it is hard for me to do but so much. I have plenty Stroketrainers in stock and i am shipping them out almost everyday now. The cost is only $175.00 this includes the S&amp;H anywhere in the US. When people use a credit cad they keep $5.00 of my money and paypal will keep $6.00 and with the S&amp;H i lose there to. I know it is hard to pay the price for what i have but like it was said in the above post $175.00 for something that will help you in a matter of days verses a $1000.00 cue and a $300.00 case is not a bad deal. I know it is a lot more work in a cue and case but i cant realy say i have herd anyone say they play better because of them. I know some people have it tough with their money but i have worked with them to. I am willing to work with anyone who is willing to try the ST but i am sure you wont be dissapointed. I also do take Credit cards at the shows i am at. Some people charge an extra 5% to do this to make up for the credit card charge but i dont. As far as me posting on here more i dont realy have much time to do this i have a very busy life and most of the time i just check my mail and go. For the few of you that i have met it was a pleasure and hope to see you again and for the rest of you i am looking foward to it. Thanks again Doug /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Doug, I am thinking of ordering one of these but am afraid I will have the same problem that (Laura I think) had. I get very low to my cue when I shoot and I dont know if there is enough room for me with the ST. What would you suggest?

mr8ballme
04-08-2004, 03:00 PM
I can make yours the same as hers i just have to make a cut on one and it should work. Please call and i can tell you more ok. 540-292-8995 Thanks