View Full Version : help please!!

04-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I know i read a while back that you can level pool table by useing a 18 in. square piece of glass, but it had to either be a certain kind or kind of edges??????????? the search engine never came up with the post i was looking for.. thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

04-07-2004, 11:51 AM
that sounds interesting what do you do, put a TSP full of water on it?

04-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I think it was just placing a pool ball on the glass. With no friction if the glass is not level the ball will roll towards the corner or end that is low.

04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
woody is correct. but it wasn't just any kind of glass if i recall..

04-07-2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=123499&page =&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I did a search, and this is the only one that mentions something additional about the glass. There are several past posts that describe just using a small pane of glass and putting a ball on it. The point of the post above is that the pane of glass must be "good" - of even thickness.

I'm pretty sure that's about all that's been said around here about using glass to level a table.

04-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Well the slate could have a hump or low spot. In other words warped or bowed some. Seems like a piece of glass would take a while to figure that out. Not to mention the pool ball has to be round. There not all round you know. Those Starrett machinist levels 9' to 12' work well. even the thickness of a dollar bill throws the bubble way off.

04-08-2004, 06:21 AM
thanks spetty.. i tried several key words and couldn't come up with any thing close..