PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a cue for American Snooker?

Leviathan
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd appreciate advice about choosing a 2-piece cue for American Snooker (2.125-in. balls, 10-ft. tables). Maker, model, weight, taper, tip diameter, etc... I don't want to spend more than about $150.

Thanks in advance,
AS

boalt06
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I will probably see Bob Jewett againt this weekend. He was playing 9-ball with a snooker cue last week. I'll ask him. Please, dont ask who won!

Pizza Bob
04-08-2004, 01:04 PM
I can give you typical dimensions and weights, etc. but, as has been said many times here, what feels right to you is totally subjective.

Typically they run 58", just like a pool cue. Conical taper with an 8 mm to 11 mm tip with average tip size around 9.5 mm. Cues can be center-jointed (best for fitting into a conventional case) or butt-jointed (requires longer case). Tips favored are Elk Master or equivalent soft tips, with brass, short ferrules. Usually ash shafts spliced into ebony or rosewood. May be had with decorative splices also, but in the range you want to spend, better to get a plain better cue, than a low-end fancy cue (does that make any sense?). John Parris makes a full range of cues - from off-the-shelf cues to all-out handbuilt customs. 36 of the top 50 snooker players use his cues - and they aren't paid to do so. The current pound to $$$ exchange rate isn't good right now, but some of his lower end stuff may be close to your desired price. Here's the link:

http://www.parris-cues.co.uk/home.html

If you play exclusively on 10' tables, you won't need an extension, but playing on those 6x12 "football field" tables adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Good luck!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

boalt06
04-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I just spoke with Bob. He said that he would reccomend wither going with a UK made cue, or going to a cue maker but that would cost a lot. Also, he said he could not think of a good domestic snooker manufacturer.
Erick

BLACKHEART
04-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Pizza Bob is right on with his description of ENGLISH Snooker Qs. However, if you walk into any hall in the U.S. where they're playing Snooker, you'll see every brand,weight & tip size. Steve Mizerak played Snooker with a 20 oz. Q, with a 13 1/2mm tip. Most players in a small hall will be playing with a 15oz.-17oz. one piece Q off the rack, house Q. Tip sizes for most players, around here, tend to run about 12mm. That way, they can still use the same Q, for 8 or 9 ball. A lot of players around here have a second shaft made for their regular Q. Then for the second shaft, they lean towards 11mm-12mm. They also like this shaft to be an inch longer. I make a dozen Snooker Qs a year. They are generally made from Maple to keep the weight down to 16 or 17 oz...JER

Leviathan
04-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Erick, Bob, and JER: Thanks for your help. I think you've given me enough info to make a start. An acquaintance gave me an introductory snooker lesson yesterday. It was an, uh, interesting experience. The game requires very precise aiming and stroking, doesn't it? My efforts had the railbirds rolling on the floor, howling with laughter.

AS