PDA

View Full Version : Eva's induction

PQQLK9
04-09-2004, 02:08 PM
The memories came rush-ing back Thursday when a tape of her accomplishments was played at the ceremony. Husband Mitch Laurance and teenage daughter Nikki Laurance were on hand, along with friends and rivals, to share in her tears of joy.

"There was one shot of me getting ready to play in the finals of the [1988] U.S. Open and Nikki was next to me crying," she recalled. "I was trying to calm her down and get ready to play the most important match of my life. It took me back to that place in time and I started crying."

The proud mother went on to win that event, launching a career that would someday make her own mother proud.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/8351968.htm

Leviathan
04-09-2004, 08:59 PM
One of my favorite matches was a televised final between Ewa Laurance and Robin Dodson. I suppose this match took place about six years ago. Laurance had won the previous tour stop--her first win in a few years. She wanted to make it two in a row, to prove to herself that she was back. Dodson hadn't won in a few years--she was very hungry.

Both players played great games in this final, and both of them had failures of concentration. It was a close match, with lots of ups and downs, and Dodson won it with a sharp combination on the 9. What made it memorable, though, was the pleasure Laurance took in Dodson's happiness when Dodson closed it out. I have great respect that kind of generosity.

AS

pooltchr
04-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Nick,
You should have been there!
sj