PDA

View Full Version : help on rules of 8-ball

mdp
04-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Can someone please help answer the correct ruling on the following situation. What is the penalty for someone striking a striped ball first instead of the cue ball. He had mistaken the nine-ball for the cue ball. This sounds crazy but it actually happened and I don't know the ruling or what should of happened to the balls that were moved during the accident. Thanks for any feedback.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-10-2004, 08:56 AM
If possible, the balls should be returned to their original positions.

I guess this would be considered a foul, but if the cue ball didn't move I'm not sure.

Sid_Vicious
04-10-2004, 09:53 AM
I think you call that a "missed cue", and as we just lately discussed, not a foul. On the serious side though, logic tells me that if the actual tip of the cue struck another ball instead of the CB, it'd be a foul, just like you were intentionally fouling would be a foul. Interesting question, and a bit deeper than my first impression...sid

Ken
04-10-2004, 09:57 AM
I believe this would be a foul. The balls would be played from where they stopped and whatever penalty is usual would apply such as end of inning, cue ball in hand etc. This assumes he did it accidentally. If he did it on purpose to tie up balls or otherwise gain an adventage it might mean loss of game.

I don't think the cue foul ball only rule would apply since it only involves accidental contact with object balls while shooting the cue ball. So the balls should not be restored.

It should be the same as when a moving object ball hits the cue after you shoot. Foul, since cue ball only rule would not apply. It should also not apply if your cue hits an object ball after you strike the cue ball, but that may be debatable. When is the act of shooting completed? Might you then be in the act of following through?
Ken in CT

Wally_in_Cincy
04-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Ken,

I believe your answer is more correcter than mine.

Cueless Joey
04-10-2004, 10:49 AM
An illegal hit, is an illegal hit imo.
Ball in hand foul.
Then the offender who mistook the 9-ball for a cueball is banned from playing pool forever. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
04-10-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then the offender who mistook the 9-ball for a cueball is banned from playing pool forever.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is a little strick, out here it's just 20 years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-10-2004, 11:51 AM
LOL,... 20 years in Arizona is a life time... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
04-10-2004, 02:48 PM
It's a foul, Wally. And I agree, the balls should be restored to their original positions.

Barbara

RGlenn
04-10-2004, 03:13 PM
So he struck the 9-ball thinking it was the Q ball, huh? It seems to me both players were snoozon', one hitting the Q ball and the other allowing him to do it. If a referee isn't presiding over the match, it's Q ball fouls only. The point....if the Q ball wasn't touched or moved and the balls could be restored, I would think that they should be restored and the game should continue. If the Q ball was disturbed, it would be ball in hand to the opponent. Finally of course, if the balls can't be restored to their original positions, replay the game with the original breaker breaking. BCA Rule 1.15

Ken
04-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes I now see the balls should be restored but because of rule 3.21, fouls by touching balls and not because of rule 1.16.1, cue ball fouls only. Rule 1.16.1 applies only when the shooter is in the act of shooting at the cue ball. It permits the accidental touching of "balls located between the cue ball and the shooter while in the act of shooting".

There would be no foul if 1.16.1 applied. There is a foul because 3.21 applies.
Ken in CT

Nostroke
04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
HEY Hey! That can happen to anyone, or at least anyone who partied a bit too much in previous decades. I did it once in a game of nine ball somehow. Then a year later i saw a guy do it in a Regional Open Tournament. I was so happy i wasn't the only one.

Interesting that all three of us used the nine for the CB although there is no way it can be situated so that the yellow is not visble.

Pelican
04-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Depends a heck of a lot on whose rules you are playing by!