PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer Break Cue

Predator314
04-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Anyone got one of these? I bought one the other day and finally got to try it out this morning. I really like it. I was using a Predator BK and really wasn't impressed with it that much. I get a lot more action on the balls when I break with the Sledghammer and really don't have to put a hard stroke on the cue ball.

I was worried about controlling the cue ball with that crazy tip, but didn't have a problem. I can focus on making a smooth stroke with a good follow through and the cue does the rest.

The jump cue works good too. That was another thing I was worried about. Usually these jump/break cues are the best jumpers, but this one does better than my Lucasi jumper.

I'm selling my Predator BK and Lucasi jumper on ebay. If anyone is interested, just send me a PM or email (wwleonard@comcast.net) and I will give you the URL for the auctions. Or you can just search for my email address on eBay and it will take you to my auctions.

boalt06
04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I am a part owner of one. I and tow other guys went in on one. What really helped me was to choke up on the stick, and not try to hit it my absolute hardest. Ist seems that I do much better using 90% energy then trying to go for 100. Also, occasionaly I have to tip-pick the hell out of it to get chalk to stay.
OVerall, it works food.
-_Erick /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jay
04-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I too am a proud owner of the great sledgehammer and it hits a ton. I also tried the B/K and it is nothing compared to the Sledgehammer. You will see a dramatic change in your break results and for the better

CarolNYC
04-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi there,
I picked one up at Valley Forge-its fine,no problems-it was 19.5 and I needed it heavier and they made it 20.8-as long as I pocket a ball or 4,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have a nice day!
Carol

Predator314
04-11-2004, 08:13 AM
I've tried heavier break cues, but I really like a lite one. A lite break cue helps me get more speed on the cue ball when I break.

Sid_Vicious
04-11-2004, 08:48 AM
My vote isn't in yet on this issue. I was taught that a lighter breaker allows for a faster speed and I purposely bought one at 18oz. I've since changed to a Falcon SP that is 19.5 and it pops a rack like a monster. I have also grabbed wall cues that were 21oz and rolled thunder seemingly easier than many other cues. My gut feeling today is that you should break with the same weight that you play with. I mean, "Why not, since the results seem to jump as much in favor of an 18, 19 or 21?" If I had my choice I'd simply break with my play cue, and do at times. There's something uniquely familiar and sweet in the way the play cue hits the pack...sid

Jimmy B
04-12-2004, 01:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> I am a part owner of one. I and tow other guys went in on one. <hr /></blockquote>

How the hell does 3 guys buy 1 cue???? Who gets it on weekends and holidays???

By the way I told ya so Pred. I think it Breaks great and does an OK job with the jumps, as far as heavy -v- light I'm not on either side yet, I may need to do some more research.

JB

Predator314
04-12-2004, 06:19 AM
I don't really think the heavy vs. light makes too much of a difference. It's just personal preference. I've used some heavy break sticks. I just don't really like them.

CarolNYC
04-13-2004, 04:14 AM
I need a little heavier to compensate for a slight weakness-a few guy friends broke with it and just hammered it down!
Stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

catscradle
04-13-2004, 04:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> ... Also, occasionaly I have to tip-pick the hell out of it to get chalk to stay.
OVerall, it works food.
-_Erick /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">DANGER, DANGER, DANGER</font color> Will Robertson. I spoke to Mike Gulyassy when I bought my sledgehammer about what to do if it stopped holding chalk.
<font color="red">He said to absolutely NOT use a tip pick.</font color> Using a Tip Pik may create conditions which will cause the tip/ferrule to split along it's length during a break. His recommendation was to scuff up the tip with 60 grit sandpaper if holding chalk became a problem.

Rich R.
04-13-2004, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I need a little heavier to compensate for a slight weakness-a few guy friends broke with it and just hammered it down!<hr /></blockquote>
Carol, it has been mentioned a number of times here, the power on the break, comes more from speed, rather than strength. I believe the lighter cue, will help your speed and may make for a better break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
04-13-2004, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
comes more from speed <hr /></blockquote>
I know Rich,
Im SLOW!
ha ha ha
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Predator314
04-13-2004, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I need a little heavier to compensate for a slight weakness-a few guy friends broke with it and just hammered it down!<hr /></blockquote>
Carol, it has been mentioned a number of times here, the power on the break, comes more from speed, rather than strength. I believe the lighter cue, will help your speed and may make for a better break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's my theory. It works that way in baseball and golf (bat speed and club head speed = distance/power). Baseball players use lighter bats these days to get more bat speed. Golfers use lighter clubs and graphite shafts to get great club head speed. I use a lighter break cue for greater cue ball speed.

CarolNYC
04-13-2004, 09:19 AM
I totally agree with this logic-it frustrates the hell out of me because I have tried so hard to break with a lighter breakcue, but I can't!And I hate using the word "can"t"-I think its just a mental thing with me and that Im just use to 20 oz.or more!
Carol~has to get over it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif