PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Foul Question

daviddjmp
04-11-2004, 11:11 AM
I learned from Bob Jewett yesterday that, when playing strict tournament rules, taking an intentional foul by tapping your ferrule on the cueball is a major foul, loss of 15 points, plus the all 15 balls are re-racked and broke by the player committing the foul.

My question is, if shooting a normal shot a player miscues and obviously hits the cueball with the ferrule, is that also a loss of 15 points? Seems to me that many miscues result in ferrule contact with the cueball, but I have never seen it called.

Thanks for any input on this-

Tom_In_Cincy
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
No, that is not a foul. Unless there is obvious secondary contact. Basic miscues (if there is such an animal) don't necessarily "always" include a secondary hit with the ferrule .

Tapping the cue ball is considered an "unsportsman-like conduct" foul and in a refereed game sould be called. It is the same penalty for reaching into a pocket to catch the cue or object ball.

daviddjmp
04-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Tom-

So if there is obvious contact with the ferrule seen by the referee, is it a 15 point and re-break foul?

Williebetmore
04-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Bob J. is certainly correct. If you can view the AccuStats straight pool match between Efren Reyes and Dallas West you will see Efren get penalized for this infraction. He had no idea it was a foul, and Dallas was quick to call him on it. He had just finished running 141 balls, and he still beat Dallas easily despite the 15 point penalty, and having to fulfill the requirements of the opening break again.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-11-2004, 07:21 PM
No, it is not a 15 point foul.

When there is a miscue, and a secondary hit with the ferrule is observed by the ref, a foul can and should (IMO) be called.

No unsportsmanship-like foul, just a one point foul.

No 15 point deduction or re-rack.

daviddjmp
04-11-2004, 08:48 PM
OK, Tom. So it is the intentional action that makes it "un-sportsmanlike". That makes sense. Thanks-

Tom_In_Cincy
04-12-2004, 12:19 AM
daviddjmp
One day soon, I will have to visit you and Bob J in San Francisco during your 14.1 league. I've always wanted to meet Bob and I still love to play 14.1

I helped run a 14.1 league in Cincinnati before I moved to Sacramento CA last August (I know.. other CCBers are probably tired of hearing this.. but) I also am the tournament director at Hard Times Billiards. I've been running the tournaments there since last September.

Chris Cass
04-12-2004, 06:19 AM
3 consecutive fouls you'll get a 15 point penalty and of course minus one point for every foul included getting there.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

daviddjmp
04-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Tom-

That would be great. We just had the playoffs last Saturday, so we will take a four week break and start up again. It is Saturdays at noon, and Bob and I are regulars there. PM me and I will send you an email with the start date of the new league. You could come any Saturday you like-